Getting braces May 23...and freaking out!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gennel

#16 Post by Gennel »

Go for it ! I chose the pale gold brackets instead . My ortho said that the gold or metal brackets are the strongest. He has no doubts since he has been doing this for years now. If the crowding on your teeth is not that bad then clear brackets might be for you. As for you feeling uncomfortable with your appearance and your age...people that are mature will not make fun of you. Instead they might not even mention anything about your braces because you are doing something to improve about yourself . I am just about to admint that I'm your age also! There I admit it! lol I have very bad crowding and need to wear them approx 24-30 months total. Depending on my results They might be off in 24 months! I will do my part to make that come true. I have seen 3 people with the gold brackets and you know what? I hardly noticed that they were wearing braces at all! I was like OMG, I didnt notice she had braces on until 10 min into our conversation. If you are confident when you have your braces on then that will be a big + for you. I know the first day of seeing yourself in braces might be shocking . It is 100% normal . Mydaughter just got braces on Monday and she was so happy but as soon as she got into the car she burst into tears. That lasted about 5 minutes on Monday and now she's always grinning and telling me " Check out my Grillz Mom! :) The best part is when you see amazing results in a few days.We've seen results already on her front two teeth and she's so motivated now. Whatever you do, don't give up. I am the biggest phobic and have lost a few nights sleep over this.I am still going through with it and I should be braced in about 2 or 2 & 1/2 weeks!

Gennel

eaglesoaring

#17 Post by eaglesoaring »

Gennel,

Hey, there! I'm glad to hear your daughter has gotten over her disappointment, and is enjoying her "Grillz"!! And I would like to say to you...you're right, if you're confident when you get the braces, you'll do fine. My Ortho asked me if I had seen any other adults with braces, and I told him, "NO"...but upon review of the people I know and see, about 3 of them have braces...and I never even noticed!!! LOL. Funny...it's like when you drive a certain type of car...you'd never noticed them before, but when YOU have one, suddenly it seems like there are hundreds of them on the road!!!

I, too, have lost some sleep over this, and can't wait until Wednesday, to see if I can get the Damon system. It's given me new excitement, and hope...to get a second opinion, so I'm doing great! Thank you for your words, and just know that I'll be pulling for you, too...okay???
Have a Happy Day!

catu

#18 Post by catu »

Hi eaglesoaring!
I'm new here as well. I just noticed that I'll be getting my braces just a day before you do, May 22. :) I'm feeling a bit nervous, too. And I still don't know which braces to go with, silver or gold.
Anyway, I hope everything turns out ok with you. And let us know how it went. :)

catu

Gennel

#19 Post by Gennel »

KK ,
I agree with what you said about feeling comfortable with your ortho. The ortho I chose was the very first one I went to.He was super,super understanding. He had a huge bright smile also. He explained step by step and answered all of our questions. He truly understands because he had braces himself as a child and understands all the discomforts and esteem issues. I am really not afraid of getting the braces on. I've read so much on the discomforts and pain ,mouth sores,not being able to chew,regretting putting braces the first 24hrs is totally normal. So I am already expecting these things so I might not be surprised at all. My daughter has had the braces on for 1 week today and is feeling great already. She did have pain for the first 5 days and even though she was in this pain she was happy because she knew amazing stuff was happening to her teeth! I am waiting until it's 1 month after her braces so I can take pictures to compare. Today is my oral surgeon appt. So I'm hoping to get the extractions over with ASAP.

Gennel

jennielee81

#20 Post by jennielee81 »

Hi eaglesoaring!

I have Damon 3's and like them very much. I have Opals on my front-top 6 as Damon doesn't offer a totally clear set of brackets.

Check out the link at the bottom of my post to follow my progress and to see before and current picture.

I've not had any trouble with my Damons.

The major advantage to them is that there are no ligatures to stain and there are up to 12 weeks between adjustments. Since there are no ligs to cause friction and to get cruddy and stretched there's no reason to go in sooner.

You can see how my arches were widened by just these bracket and the wires. My ortho is very good at using these brackets so I have to credit him even more than the brackets.
Image Image

Image Image
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

eaglesoaring

#21 Post by eaglesoaring »

Jennielee

Hello!! I love it that you included pics for me!! Thank you! I can't believe the difference...your teeth look wonderful!!

I go in on Wednesday to have my consult on Damons. I'm really very excited and hopeful that I'll be able to use them. Wish me luck, and you'd better believe I'll be here on Wednesday, updating you all.

Thank you...thank you...thank you!!

Have a good one!