Does eating get any easier ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ssfw

#16 Post by ssfw »

I shouldn't of indicated raw vegetables meaning "all" raw vegetables in my post. I had attended a special event the evening I got my braces and there were various raw vegetables on a tray including carrots that looked like it may create a "problem" for me. The sliced cucumber, tomatoes, etc. looked like I would be able to eat but at that time I decided not to eat any of the vegetables and just ate things that I knew were 'safe'. My apologies to all if I confused you.

Ingyandbert, should I cut the carrots into small pieces or thin sticks?

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

ingyandbert

#17 Post by ingyandbert »

Whatever works for you. Me, I just bite into the raw baby carrots the same way I used to. I've become a fearless eater with my braces, lol! But just do whatever seems to work for you. They're too tasty to give up!

t3knophile

#18 Post by t3knophile »

I've been braced about 9 months now and I eat everything, including popcorn, apples, corn on the cob, sandwiches, whatever. Doesn't really bother me anymore. I do try to avoid things that tend to get stuck in the brackets though, like soft breads. The first few weeks were kind of strange getting used to eating but it really does get better after a while.
Ceramic braces on top / Metal braces on bottom :: Aug 1, 2005
Estimated Time :: 12 - 18 months

CLAmom

#19 Post by CLAmom »

I still have problems eating after about 3 months in but is is getting much better. Pretty much ANY type of pasta is manageable and I even got through a McDonalds cheese burger once! I was kind of proud of that one. I still can't really chew meat or raw vegatables and I'm seriously craving steak and a nice crunchy salad but hopefully that will change soon. Mine is a bad crossbite issue so if you have a bite issue, chewing may be especially difficult. I find myself biting my tongue a lot, too and then things are really sore in there---ouchy!!! Anyway, I agree that it will get better. A couple months ago I was having milkshakes every day. I never thought I'd get sick of milkshakes but it happened!!! If you're worried about the weight loss, add cheese sauces or gravy to your food. Hope this helps. :roll:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

blackcat20

#20 Post by blackcat20 »

Ive been braced for a week now, and have definately noticed an improvement in my ability to eat. I still cant bite with my front teeth, but if I can get it into my mouth, its pretty much chewable. Meat is still a bit hard, but the tongue comes in handy...my teeth are just a tiny bit tender still, and my cheeks seem to get in the way at the worst times. But there is improvement, and Im sure if will continue to get easier...

Ive had my first piece of chocolate in at leats 8 days :shock: