Headgear Fears

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HeadgearJoe

#16 Post by HeadgearJoe »

hi , yea i wouldn't worrie to much about it yet, i also didn't have the headgear tubes on mine at first , they seen i wasn't getting anywhere with elastics , so they removed those brackets an put on the ones with hooks an headgear tubes, like i've said it realy works for me an today is no different , i got up ate breakfast an brushed put all my elastics in an strapped on my headgear ,an was off to work an will be in it the rest of the day , no biggie for me any more i'm realy use to it now , have a great day , (HeadgearJoe)
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

JumpTheDitch

#17 Post by JumpTheDitch »

jennandtonic, I hope things go well for you sans headgear! Y'have me slightly concerned though; your situation sounds a bit similar to mine. I had two upper bicuspids extracted to make room to reduce an overjet. Since the extractions my ortho banded my second molars as well as my first. He's never mentioned headgear but I do have the buccal tubes on the molar bands on my first molars. They're superfluous at the moment, I hope he's not planning on making them functional. But if he isn't, why use molar bands that have them in the first place? They caused some serious irritation when I first got banded, but I thought they were just standard hardware. I'm a little concerned now, but a little too scared to ask in case I don't like the answer! I work in a law enforcement environment, headgear would really not be a good look.... :shock:

HeadgearJoe

#18 Post by HeadgearJoe »

good morning , some orthodontist use those kind of bands just in case you need other appliances attached, as for me like i said i didn't have them so they had to remove my old ones an place the new ones with the headgear tubes on them , they also at that time replaced my lower ones to only to find out later i was getting a lipbumper wich is gone now , the orthodontist will fit you with appliances that will work best in your case , as for me i'm a very long rooted person an the molors realy liked there old spot , have a great day ,( HEADGEARJOE) (+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+)all aboard
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

Clo

#19 Post by Clo »

Hi,

plain and simple, just ask next time about this. Then you'll know for sure.
And yes, headgear is also used to prevent teeth that are behind extractions
moving forward. But know there are quite some other alternatives to do
this. A tpa does the very same thing. They can achieve quite some bit
by just using the right wires. And there are dozens of appliances that are
worn inside your mouth that can do this too. And sometimes they place
microimplants as anchor points ...
I now wear my headgear about 3 weeks. I can say it is not that bad. And
I have to wear it full time. I think it is like all appliances and braces, after
some time, they become like part of you. I can now for sure say my teeth
feel much better when I wear my headgear. Ok, having a home office, it
is maybe a bit more easy for me to wear it full time. But it can work also
when you just wear it when being at home. Maybe a bit slower, but it can
work. Anyway, just know that needing headgear is not the end of the
world. Like I said, it is not that bad.

But first, you need a good talk to your ortho !
Good luck !

violinist

headgear

#20 Post by violinist »

i don't know if this helps but i'm trying to sympathize with all of you that have to wear headgear it's only @ night not many people will see it nd I don't have braces i am going to look in to getting me some so i myself have to sleep with something for my teeth, it looks like a mouthgaurd but its molded of my teeth nd it helps me stop grinding my teeth, u see if i don't wear it my jaw will ache from grinding. so its kinda like a headgear thing but rather a mouth gaurd. well i tried.

nico07

#21 Post by nico07 »

HeadgearJoe wrote:hi , yea i wouldn't worrie to much about it yet, i also didn't have the headgear tubes on mine at first , they seen i wasn't getting anywhere with elastics , so they removed those brackets an put on the ones with hooks an headgear tubes, like i've said it realy works for me an today is no different , i got up ate breakfast an brushed put all my elastics in an strapped on my headgear ,an was off to work an will be in it the rest of the day , no biggie for me any more i'm realy use to it now , have a great day , (HeadgearJoe)
joe, i'm new here, but i just wondered why your case is so complicated.

Just be/c in your sig it says that this is your second time in braces and for quite awhile.

Out of interest . . . . :wink:

onny

#22 Post by onny »

jennandtonic: I wonder what happened with your headgear now, its quite a while since you last posted. You got it, or didn't need it?

On the Treatmentplan appointment, she mentioned that I will probably need a HG too for some months, to make a movement of the top (dont remember if it was top) jaw a bit. But I got way to many information at that appointment so important questions like about the HG didn't pop into my mind.

Because my problem is, that i absolutely don't like to wear a HG, i don't want to have that appliance. I would only wear a HG if it would be absolutely necessary, and if there would be no alternate for it. On the next adjustment appointment I will ask several questions that I collected, also about alternates for the HG. I think there are some, but probably much more expensive than a 20 $ headgear bow. I already have the Headgear tubes in the top molar bands, so I'm quite sure this is a 100% planned appliance for me.

Does anyone here know what alternates for a HG are possible? I would like to know before I ask the ortho next month, to be prepared for the answer or to be able to suggest an appliance my own. I only want intraoral devices, which are invisible when i close my mouth. I think there are several piston style appliances from molar to bottom 3rd or 4th teeth which canwork like a HG, is that true?
Sep03/2007 6th adjustment.
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
36 month top and bottom metal. All 8 molars banded now. Bioprogressive technic and HG some day.
My Braces Journey Blog.

HeadgearJoe

#23 Post by HeadgearJoe »

hi nicoo7, after the first round of braces being taken off way early of an 24 month plan, my teeth an jaw had got use to the elastics ,supporting the lower jaw in it's new place. i found out that all my pain was caused by TMJ ,it took three months to find out what needed to be done how bad my jaw joints were, i went to many doc's some QUACKS, an went through lots of very strong pain meds , after all that i found a tmj expert, he told be what was wrong what he needed to do , he told me what it was going to cost an that i would be done when i got better an my bite was as perfect as he wanted it , so here i am , an yes i get a little fussy at times as it has took longer than i thought , but i'm pain free for the most part an getting a great bite , i don't guess i'd change anyway things have be done even with my first round of braces , because i have had a chance to talk with many folks an give them support an good info of treatment's an appliance's that i've been in , hope this helps an thanks for asking (+=+=+=+HEADGEARJOE+=+=+=+) ALL A BOARD===========================

nico07

#24 Post by nico07 »

thanks joe, hope this work out this time :wink:

jennandtonic

#25 Post by jennandtonic »

Onny Said:
jennandtonic: I wonder what happened with your headgear now, its quite a while since you last posted. You got it, or didn't need it?

On the Treatmentplan appointment, she mentioned that I will probably need a HG too for some months, to make a movement of the top (dont remember if it was top) jaw a bit. But I got way to many information at that appointment so important questions like about the HG didn't pop into my mind.

Because my problem is, that i absolutely don't like to wear a HG, i don't want to have that appliance. I would only wear a HG if it would be absolutely necessary, and if there would be no alternate for it. On the next adjustment appointment I will ask several questions that I collected, also about alternates for the HG. I think there are some, but probably much more expensive than a 20 $ headgear bow. I already have the Headgear tubes in the top molar bands, so I'm quite sure this is a 100% planned appliance for me.

Does anyone here know what alternates for a HG are possible? I would like to know before I ask the ortho next month, to be prepared for the answer or to be able to suggest an appliance my own. I only want intraoral devices, which are invisible when i close my mouth. I think there are several piston style appliances from molar to bottom 3rd or 4th teeth which canwork like a HG, is that true?
I think I updated that situation in my braces story, I forgot to update this one! I asked my ortho and she said that no, I will not need headgear. I will, however, be heavy on the elastics.

onny

#26 Post by onny »

I am not so sure anymore what the Headgear was used for, I asked that already, but forgot it. I think to move back both jaws a bit or something. I checked a book today which showed several alternates to traditional headgears, one was some kind of pistons, fixed installed on top molar to bottom 3rd or 4th teeth. It comes in several versions for several jobs of the headgear and can be used for children if they don't wear the HG regular, or for adults who cant/don't want wear a headgear 24 hours a day, like me. Those pistons are more advanced by now, still allowing vertical and horizontal moving of both jaws and need to be worn 3-8 months max. Of course they look and feel a bit strange, but still better looking than a HG i think. Only realy drawback is that they are much more expensive than a HG (HG = 30$ or so, those pistons = 300-600)

Mini screw implants was not offered yet, but I may ask for them too. I am just not sure if i want something screwed in my jaws. Glued bands or brackets can be removed, but holes cant be removed, its a different thing. Beside that 2 there still is at least one more option, for example heavy elastics configuration, which I also would prefer over headgear.
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
36 month top and bottom metal. All 8 molars banded now. Bioprogressive technic and HG some day.
My Braces Journey Blog.

onny

#27 Post by onny »

Full detailed diagnosis is 1:1 written in my Blog, click on the link in my signature and please comment on this diagnosis, id like to hear you meaning.
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
My Braces Journey Blog.

onny

#28 Post by onny »

I did ask, but I don't remember it. It was a movement of a jaw, id say top jaw move back, but it makes no sense with my current bite, it would make things worse. So i have to ask again. I anyway do, it is one of my top priority questions of my list. If there is absolutely no alternate, then I will go with the HG anyway, but just for the night. I never saw a single person in Berlin on the streets with a headgear, not even child's, so I wont be the first one. As self confident as I are, HG is to much for me.
Nov08/2006 was B-day!
My Braces Journey Blog.