Newbie finally gets his braces!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Epyx

#16 Post by Epyx »

Leslie, so excited for you, esp. how the gap closed so quickly. My diasthema is approx 5mm - some of your photos are blocked when viewed from my workplace, so I can't tell how wide your initial gap was.

It's funny how we perceive ourselves - I always felt the gap took away from my "credibility", but I'm quickly discovering that a lot of people don't really even seem to care. We are perceived as much more than these minor imperfections in our teeth.

I had a difficult time trying to work out whether to have the frenectomy at the start or the end of the procedure. It's almost like there are two schools of thought on this. I presented that idea to my ortho (a***hole that he is) and he quickly told me there was only one school of thought - you get it done at the start so that the tissue doesn't get "crushed". I don't think this is the one and only answer.

I had it done in the chair rather than under general anaesthetic. I have no regrets about that, and it saved me a lot of money. I was in and out within minutes, and I went shopping at the market immediately after. It started to ache and hurt later, and I ended up taking a day off work when I felt woozy.

Your teeth are already looking fantastic Leslie, so I know you are going to be happy with the final result. Thanks so much for your support, it's nice to find someone else who started out with a gap.

Leslie022

#17 Post by Leslie022 »

It's true, we are our own worst critic!! When I was braced a lot of people asked my why I got them and didn't seem to notice the gap between my teeth! It's funny how that happens! To us, it is this huge space that seems to be the center of attention but to others it's as if it isn't there! Alrighty, well I look forward to hearing about your progress!!!!!! :)
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top