Still not really used to these braces...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

drazda

#16 Post by drazda »

Well, I've had my braces for about 8 months, and unfortunately I do not feel that I am used to them. I eat normally, exactly the way I did before I had braces, and they don't hurt at all anymore. BUT, I was told in a few weeks I would forget that they were there, I'm not even close to that point. I always feel them, and they just feel unnatural and bulky.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

Kimber

#17 Post by Kimber »

Hi Eagle -- You wrote
I really wish I'd see ANOTHER adult in braces...I think that would help me lots! (I STILL haven't seen another adult in braces...only younglings).
I had to laugh. I saw someone in braces for the first time the other night -- someone I don't really know very well and only see maybe once or twice a year. But I greeted her like a long lost friend and just wanted to talk braces! It was so great to see another adult in person going through it, but she's had them for awhile and the newness has worn off for her and I think she thought I was nuts. LOL. Oh well!

I'm glad there are other people out there not going for "perfection" either. My bite has never been right and it would take way too much to try to fix it. I just want straight teeth so they don't get all stained and rot out because I can't get to them with a toothbrush.

How's it going? Are they feeling any better? I had a nasty thought the other day that maybe we should be thankful for this period of weirdness but no pain because after those adjustments and elastics start, we might be wishing for just weirdness and NOT pain! :D
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

eaglesoaring

#18 Post by eaglesoaring »

drazda-

So, you aren't used to them either, huh? Well, at least I can prepare myself for NOT ever really getting used to them, as it is a possibility. Yes, they are unnatural, and bulky!! I hope you're not letting it get you down too much. Right now, I can't imagine ever being used to them! So, you're not alone. Hang in there! How much longer will you have them?

Kimber-

Okay, that is funny! I had this image in my head of how the conversation must have gone (with your adult friend in braces)...and it was an image that cracked me up! I know ME, and I feel sorry for the first adult I see in braces. They will probably want to RUN by the time I'm through with them! Ha! Ha! The other day, I was ordering food (at a fast-food place) for my son, and I thought the woman that gave us our food, had braces. She was older than I. I couldn't quite tell, though, because the exchange went so quickly. Well, I wanted to turn around and go back, and my son was like...
"MO-OM...no, you can't do THAT! It would be soooo embarrassing!!"

I'm definitely NOT going for perfection. I will be super-happy with whatever my end result may be, and oh-so-thankful for that!! I'm having a hard enough time committing to 1 1/2 years in braces...there's no way I could do 2 1/2 years!! I know that whatever I get, as my end result, will be worlds BETTER than it is now.

My teeth are doing just great! Today I feel much better than I did when I originally posted. I was just feeling down, and now that I know that there are other people that NEVER really get 'used' to their braces,...well, I can accept that. Hopefully, I'll get used to them, but if I don't...it's not the end of the world. PLUS, I've had some great responses, filled with support.

Elastics...yikes!! I've seen the many configurations, and have been a bit worried about it. The configuration that scares me the most is the criss-cross, where you can't even lick your lips! But, perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm not sure when I'll even be getting elastics.
Do you know when you'll get elastics?
eagle

Pirate Wench

#19 Post by Pirate Wench »

I know what you mean about not really getting used to these things. Just when I think I can forget that I have them in my mouth, I laugh or eat or brush or get another sore in my mouth. I do go through periods in the day that I don't think of them, but the time I think about them out weighs the times I don't still.

Here's hoping we start to get used to them soon...... :-88

ssfw

#20 Post by ssfw »

Hi eagle,

My ortho treatment should be about 20 months including the time in the expander, so It's been about 5 months now. My ortho treatment is to correct a crossbite on one side (which was corrected with the expander - my expander needs to stay in for a few more months to stabilize the expansion), reduce my 5 mm overjet and correct some minor things in other teeth - I think it is probably to level(? - bring some of the teeth down) some teeth. My orthodontist said my teeth were very well aligned pre-braces. I was told that I would need elastics to reduce my overjet but not sure when I will get them. My orthodontist said he's not sure if I will need lower braces and it will depend on if he can get my bite corrected without the lower braces. If I do get the lower braces, I will be getting them in a couple months - I don't have a problem if I do end up needing the lower braces. I'll post a message about my first adjustment which will be about 1 week prior to yours. I'm not nervous about pain/discomfort from the adjustment, I think I'm just wondering how my ortho treatment is progressing and what will be done at this appt.

As I mentioned in one of my other posts, I know I shouldn't be self conscious about wearing braces because I am doing something good for the health of my teeth and I really feel that there are so many adults out there that wishes they would take that first step and see an orthodontist. I don't regret for a second about getting braces. I think it is because I am older that makes me self conscious. But I know most people don't notice and don't care, it's not a big deal to them.

I also wish there was another adult that I knew going through ortho treatment but this website has been the greatest. I truly feel if it wasn't for this website, I would not have proceeded with ortho treatment.

I'm just hoping my ortho treatment will continue to go so smoothly. My orthodontist and his staff are so kind that it makes my ortho treatment a very pleasant experience and I have learned so much from this website and from asking questions at the ortho's office.

I hope your ortho treatment continues to go well also.

Keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08