Soda

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gennel

#16 Post by Gennel »

I know there are people that won't care even if they show them proof. Since they don't seem to have problems now. I used to drink soda (caffeine free,sugar free) all the time. The main problem with the soda is the Citric Acid it contains. If you check the ingredients. I think the #1 or #2 ingredient is Citric Acid. The dentist and ortho both told me that even if you brush you are not protecting your teeth and especially your roots that much. I was told by them that when you drink sodas.the citric acid goes between the teeth adn below the gumline. What it does ,it slowly destroys/weakens tooth enamel and the roots. I told them that I would brush immediately . Then they told me that as soon as you take a sip of soda it starts this reaction immediately and it continues for about 20 min.My dentist had a patient who would brush at least 3 times a day &floss. But this patient had cavities that seemed to be unexplained. Well the patient told her " I just have 1 soda for the whole day, I just take small sips and I don't drink more than 1 can a day(sugarfree) and I brush. The dentist explained that every time she takes a sip the acid and something else that goes on in the mouth starts eating away the enamel and roots and lasts abotu 20 minutes. So this patient had this decaying happening all day long and was not aware of it.
I don't know if I explained it well. I forgot some of the words.Something about citric acid stimulating something in the mouth...

Now I drink maybe 1 soda a week,sometimes none. Even the Crystal Light drinks have high amounts of Citric Acid :(

Gennel

Gennel

#17 Post by Gennel »

I think this is what my ortho and dentist were talking about:

2 Sucrose or cane sugar - Bacteria in plaque feed on sucrose in your food and drink and multiply within 30 minutes. The bacteria release acids as a waste product onto tooth. The acids dissolve the calcium out of the enamel.

3 Susceptible tooth - Enamel is dissolved by acid. Thats why your saliva is alkaline. Your saliva neutralises acids to help protect your teeth. But if your diet is very acid and you have lots of plaque, gradually a cavity will form. Once a hole forms through the enamel, the tooth inside decays easily. A decayed tooth only hurts when the bacteria have begun to affect the nerve. So careful diagnosis should be made early.

Evelyn

#18 Post by Evelyn »

I drank soda for four years while I had braces. While I was never quite addicted to it, I never turned it down either so I would guess that I probably had it about 2 or 3 times a week on average...some much more and some much less depending on my schedule.

Anyway, I'm all finished up now and there are absolutely no white marks or anything. I've never had a cavity so as long as you're keeping up with the oral hygiene, I see absolutely no reason to limit the soda use. I think it's meant more for younger patients, some of whom might not have the best oral hygiene and so the sugar sits on the teeth for too long.

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

katmc_tx

#19 Post by katmc_tx »

Well I've never been a big soda drinker but I do drink my big glass of OJ every morning. I guess I never thought about the amount of acid in OJ. :? So I guess I will start using a straw while I drink it because I've had probs in the past with cavities. :cry:
Its because I love candy :oops: . But I have cut back a lot since getting braced.
But I cant cut back on my OJ. :roll:
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

epraes

#20 Post by epraes »

My ortho never advised me not to drink soda or fizzy drinks, only to have a good hygiene. In fact, after 15 months, I've been drinking a Diet Coke a day and my teeth are healthier than ever. I suppose everybody is different, he told me different people have different saliva and something its composition develops problems in your mouth. For example, he told me I'm tartar-prone and it's because of my saliva, not because I'm not clean enough...

Chris

#21 Post by Chris »

My "fizzy" of choice is Mountain Dew! Love that caffeine! Makes me feel like a 5 year old! Well, at least until the side effects wear off.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chris

#22 Post by Chris »

Karen, I know what you mean, just moving from one side of the United States to the other sometimes I can't get products I've fell in love with!

But sooner or later, I fall in love with something else. :lol:

I read something about getting it at a HEIWADO Supermarket.
Does that ring a bell with you?
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

KittyW

#23 Post by KittyW »

Anyway, I'm all finished up now and there are absolutely no white marks or anything. I've never had a cavity so as long as you're keeping up with the oral hygiene, I see absolutely no reason to limit the soda use. I think it's meant more for younger patients, some of whom might not have the best oral hygiene and so the sugar sits on the teeth for too long.
Dittos! My ortho never said to eliminate or drink soft drinks in moderation. I drank Diet Cokes, etc. for the duration of my treatment with no ill effects. I DID use a straw (and still do) to drink everything...even hot coffee. It was out of necessity tho...if I tried to drink from a coffee cup or glass, I'd dribble or spill it all over my shirt! :lol: I also found that drinking coffee and tea with a straw lessened the staining. :D
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

Huon

#24 Post by Huon »

In addition to all the above, don't forget the increased risk of throat cancer that comes with drinking carbonated drinks.
Huon

epraes

#25 Post by epraes »

:o what? throat cancer? I've never heard such a thing

Chris

#26 Post by Chris »

There seems to be some link but its controversial.

You can do a "google" search with "throat cancer and carbonated drinks" and get several articles of interest.

I was stunned when Huon mentioned it so I did alittle research myself.
Quite interesting.

Geez, its back to ice tea that stains my teeth so badly. :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

lildave

#27 Post by lildave »

I don't think it's a problem; honestly. I drink at least one pop a day, drink tea (obsessed with ice Chai Lattes!!) and my dentists told me my hygeine is perfect. They compliment me everytime I come in.

I agree with everyone else in that if you brush regularly; you'll be fine!!