My awful teeth - joney (pic)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lesdents

#16 Post by lesdents »

I definitely DID hide my smile - in my senior portraits for my high school year book, I didn't feel that I could smile, and I really hate those photos.

AND, I've had people notice my bad teeth. Three examples:

1. A boss of mine, when I smiled at her, said, "Ugh, aren't you going to do something about those teeth?" (She was a very rude lady, but still - made me think that even though most people are too polite to mention it, they actually do notice.

2. When I was a waitress, a couple of wealthy-looking ladies I was waiting on were rude enough to say, "You know, we were just discussing it, and you would be so pretty if you just fixed those teeth."

3. A classmate at USC said, "You know, I think you're the first person I've met at this school with crooked teeth."

Anyway, I'm just glad that no one will have cause to say that kind of thing to me again.

Of course, now I notice people's bad teeth, and I feel like saying, "Hey, I did it! You should fix them - people of all ages do it, and it's really exciting to watch them all come into place!" Of course, I'd never say that, because I don't want to cause someone the pain that I felt when I realized that, although people rarely said anything, I was being judged for my teeth, and I would be judged for them unless I did something about it.

Getting braces will be one of the best things you ever do for yourself. It's healthy, makes you look and feel better, etc. And, when you love your straight new teeth, I think it will also inspire better oral hygiene - it did for me!

Iccle_Peanut

#17 Post by Iccle_Peanut »

Hey Joney, hope your treatment goes well for you and you achieve what you want :D

I think it's great that you don't hide your teeth, i wish i had the same attitude! I always hide my teeth and i dread it when someone takes a picture and says 'smile' and i'm still closed mouthed and they'll say 'come on smile.' It's so embarressing for me.

I panicked about my graduation photo and my sister is getting married so i was thinking nooooo i don't want to smile.....hopefully my teeth will be ok by then.

Good luck with everything

joney

#18 Post by joney »

Hi lesdents

About your comment "Getting braces will be one of the best things you ever do for yourself. It's healthy, makes you look and feel better, etc. And, when you love your straight new teeth, I think it will also inspire better oral hygiene - it did for me!"

I think this is inspirational and great.

The comments you received were very rude. At least we can get our teeth straightened, people who make those sort of comments can't get their manners straightened, they have to live with their bad manners, how awful for them.

I can't wait to get mine done now. I think this forum has been great in helping me to decide. With the fantastic supportive people here it helps me to know that if I have a problem / question there will be somebody to help. :D

Good to hear from a fellow UK person IcclePeanut. Hope your treatment is going well. :D

lionfish

#19 Post by lionfish »

Those ARE incredibly rude comments.

Fortunately, I've only ever once been the butt of someone's joke about my teeth and while I remember the comment, I bore that person (who I knew) no ill feeling.

I think it's just best to move on from such stuff and think about how positive this experience is for all of us.