How common is it to NOT have extractions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kodius Champion

#16 Post by Kodius Champion »

Thanks for the input all, it's good to hear about your own experiences.

Hey Joney, that's kind of eerie -- same tooth alignment, same lack of extractions, same thought regarding others ... you're not a Beatles-freak, action-figure-collecting chemist too, are ya? :lol:

joney

#17 Post by joney »

Hi Kodius Champion
you're not a Beatles-freak, action-figure-collecting chemist too, are ya?
I'm afraid the answer is no to the above. :D I'm a 41 year old Mum of two teenagers. I work in the public sector. From the 60's I like the Doors and CCR but the Beatles are pretty cool too. I do work with a great guy who collects action figures however! Also my brother is a comic art collector.

I was reading through some of your earlier posts and you mentioned that you might need surgery as you have an overbite. I have what I think is an openbite so this may be where we differ. From what I've read here it seems most openbite people need surgery so I am still confused. Are you still scheduled to have your surgery?

I'm still not sure how the ortho is going to fix everything but he did say at my initial examination that he didn't want to do extractions except for one on the top as I mentioned. I was pretty ignorant of the whole brace thing at that time and only afterwards started researching and found this excellent site. I'm off for x-rays, impressions, etc. tomorrow. I suppose that things will become clearer when I have the consult afterwards. Not sure when that will be but I will book it tomorrow.

Regards
Joney

Kodius Champion

#18 Post by Kodius Champion »

Are you still scheduled to have your surgery?
Yeah, tentative date is May 4th, 2007. I have four wisdom teeth that need to come out, all of which are still living in my jawbone. (The uppers are slanted, but the bottom ones are literally sideways) Also, my lower jaw will likely need to be brought forward, to correct the overbite, even after all the alignment is completed. There exists a possibility that the braces may correct everything so that surgery isn't required, but that possibility is pretty small. :(

Have fun tomrrow!

Samantha08

#19 Post by Samantha08 »

Well, I havent had any extractions at all and all I had was crowding lol! I had my wisdom teeth out before though, but that was before I ever thought about getting braces. But if you dont count that, then I havent had any extractions.
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

Flora2006

#20 Post by Flora2006 »

No extractions for me either.

It depends for each case...if you have serious crowding...than an extraction is likely to happen...but if your teeth have room, there is no real reason to get teeth out.

The best person to tell you about all these things is your ortho :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Drama Queen

#21 Post by Drama Queen »

I didn't need any extractions. I don't have any wisdom teeth - lucky me! My ortho just told me that he will file my teeth to make a little room if needed, which is fine by me. Having been in braces for a month and a half now I have already noticed gaps between my teeth, just from the archwire, that weren't there before, so all in all this helps to correct my slight crowding and open bite.

Lau xx
Braced on 25 July 2006 Ceramic upper and lowers
Braces off on 3 April 2008

joney

#22 Post by joney »

It seems I spoke to soon. After x-ray etc. evaluation it seems I will need one upper and one lower extraction (sob!). Never mind, if it needs to be done then I guess I'll have to go with it.

Fingers crossed that the braces wil do their job for you Kodius Champion and you can skip the surgery for the lower jawbone.

Regards
Joney

MBell

#23 Post by MBell »

I just had my braces put on yesterday 27.09.06 - I have crowding on the upper and lower front teeth. I was to surprised to not have to have any extractions, particuarly on my lower teeth. I have to have my wisdom teeth removed at end of treatment.

Dovechild20

#24 Post by Dovechild20 »

I get my braces put on this Friday and I will have no extractions. I have had other orthodontists tell me a minimum of 4 teeth would have to be extracted, but this ortho says i dont need that. My wisdom teeth have come in and I also have EXTRA wisdom teeth (Im special, lol) and my ortho said that its up to ME whether I ever want to take them out or not.

Mmmmuuaa

#25 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

My otho said I should have 2 extractions which sounded fine, I didn't know much then about braces. Then I talked to a girl who said she didn't get extractions and then she'd have a fuller smile. This sounded great so I talked to my ortho who said that it would be no problem for me to have no extractions but then I'd just need to wear elastics to correct my bite rather. Well I'd much rather wear elastics. I have both my wisdom teeth out on my right side but still have 2 on my left side which I asked him about and he said they could stay in no problem. I get braced in about 2 weeks, I'm very excited.

Julie08

No extractions for me either

#26 Post by Julie08 »

I'm not having any extractions - no wisdom teeth ever appeared on the bottom, and the oral surgeon recommended leaving the upper wisdom teeth alone - they are impacted so far up and sideways and have probably been that way for 25 years. The rest of my teeth are (too) small, i(n my opinion,) so that's probably why they all fit in my mouth without extractions being necessary. So I figure if you need extractions, you probably have nice big choppers - and that's a good thing!