Mini Screw Going in Soon

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

#16 Post by Chris »

Rory, don't scare me!! :x

They have you sign a waiver you know, because the mandibular nerve is running along there. I've already got a painful TMJ joint there and I don't need anymore trouble!

Thanks guys, for all your well wishes!
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chris

#17 Post by Chris »

Thats right, Mery. When I had my wisdom teeth removed I was numb for over 4 months on my lower lip and chin. The surgeon said thats considered a "bruised mandibular nerve" which one usually recovers from in that amount of time. Given my track record, I don't want that to happen again.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Joual

#18 Post by Joual »

Good luck Chris. I know what it's like to be scared to death of a necessary procedure. You're going to have an excellent bite soon! :D

sjsarre

#19 Post by sjsarre »

I won't let my son read this... LOL..

We have to decide whether to go for mini screw implants on the top to bring his teeth backwards or headgear..

any comments would be well received!!

Lisa65

#20 Post by Lisa65 »

I saw your son's post about implants and replied to it.

I have to say my own experience of the implants hasn't been too positive to date, but it's got to be better than headgear 14 hours a day!

Chris

UPDATE

#21 Post by Chris »

Well, I came home from the oral surgeon's office totally disappointed!
After getting the novacaine, he put a bite block in my mouth which did not allow me to swallow and I panicked! There was no way I could go on with the procedure. I was so embarassed. Now he says I have to have IV sedation the next time to get through it.

I can't believe it! I had root canals and all 4 wisdom teeth pulled under just a local, now this. I never had someone prop my mouth open like that block he used so that I couldn't swallow. It was terrible.

Back to the drawing board....
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Lisa65

#22 Post by Lisa65 »

oh no Chris :( sorry you didn't feel able to go through with it. It is horrible not being able to swallow. i think I'd have panicked too. I'm sure some IV sedation will chill you out enough so that you'll be able to cope next time. Or if you don't fancy that, couldn't you ask for an oral sedative to take an hour beforehand or something? just to take the edge of your anxiety?

I think my posts about my screw procedure may have alarmed you as well. I'd like to reassure you a little, if I can. The procedure was completely painless. What I meant by it being "horrible" is that I am quite squeamish and prone to fainting when I have to have anything invasive done. Some IV sedation would probably have been a good idea for me too LOL. So if you are going to have the knockout drops next time you go, it should all go smoothly for you, and you probably won't even remember much about it. The midazolam they generally use for IV sedation is short-acting (so you aren't left with a hangover) and tends to produce partial amnesia for the event.

But we will all be holding your hands nonetheless :flowerbloom:

rsprouse

Re: UPDATE

#23 Post by rsprouse »

Well, I came home from the oral surgeon's office totally disappointed!
After getting the novacaine, he put a bite block in my mouth which did not allow me to swallow and I panicked! There was no way I could go on with the procedure. I was so embarassed. Now he says I have to have IV sedation the next time to get through it.

I can't believe it! I had root canals and all 4 wisdom teeth pulled under just a local, now this. I never had someone prop my mouth open like that block he used so that I couldn't swallow. It was terrible.

Back to the drawing board....
Hi Chris,

Tough break, but realize you are not the first person to have this happen. If you are against IV sedation then ask for a script of Valium. It is a great tool in dental treatment and a lot of folks don't take advantage of it. I like to tell patients it is for me, but then again I am a smart a$$ and am always joking around :lol: It works at calming even the most uptight patients. You can also ask to have the slow speed suction in your mouth to control salivary flow if you feel like you are drowning/choking. The other thing is ask for a smaller bite block. You need to have your mouth open pretty wide to do anything way back there. But a bite block that is too large will definitely make you choke and gag.

sjsarre,

I would vote for the mini-implant route. Unless of course you don't like your kid and want to torture them and get them beat up for looking like a dork :D

Best,
Rory

Chris

#24 Post by Chris »

I've had experience with IV sedation during a medical procedure and I remember waking up alittle and having some discomfort. Whenever you have a bad experience with anything you are ultra terrified the next time. I just don't understand why he has to use a bite block (I never had it with wisdom tooth removals). How can anyone not swallow for an hour? Since IV sedation is suppose to render you still responsive to commands, won't I feel like swallowing?

Rory, can't they fix the overjet in the upper arch without elastics?

P.S. Nothing comes easy!
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007