Strangest thing you've eaten with a knife and fork?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gennel

#16 Post by Gennel »

Cheeseburgers

I went with my daughter who also has braces to a place called " Cheeburger Cheeburger" where they have the 1lb burger . Well we ordered the smallest cheeseburger & fries. The waiter came with our order and left. Well we both stared at our cheeseburgers and laughed because we can't bite into a burger this size. We asked for forks & knives. They said " Oh yeah.no problem" but they gave us this look like we were doing it cause we are sooooo stuckup lol. I told the waitress " I'm sorry,it's just that we can't bite into any type of sandwhices because our braces..." She then sighed and understood lol

Gennel

Ravishing

#17 Post by Ravishing »

I've found a good alternative to pizza... calzones and stromboli! I've become addicted to them now, from a pizza place near my home. They are just as good as pizza, and you are supposed to eat them with a knife and fork, so no looking silly
Mmmmmm... I had stromboli for lunch today from our fav little Italian place. Their marinara sauce is AMAZING! I decided to treat my SIL with the stromboli and look after my little 3 week old nephew for a while so she could take a nap. All in all a very good afternoon!
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

beanstix

#18 Post by beanstix »

I eat crisps and kettle chips with a spoon - I scrunch them up into small bits in the bag and eat them with a spoon, as I can't crunch into them (yes, after all this time with braces, I still can't chomp).

Beware of tortilla chips - nearly choked to death recently on a bit of tortilla chip (which, incidentally, I didn't scrunch up as I normally do) - a nasty big trianglur shaped piece got firmly lodged in my throat ... my life flashed before me ... I was home alone ... quickly I drank some hot water then had some olive oil ...

the joy of braces, eh ...
Lower incisor extraction & metal lower: 31.03.05
Ceramic upper: 27.05.05
Treatment time: 18 months

beanstix

#19 Post by beanstix »

I eat crisps and kettle chips with a spoon - I scrunch them up into small bits in the bag and eat them with a spoon, as I can't crunch into them (yes, after all this time with braces, I still can't chomp).

Beware of tortilla chips - nearly choked to death recently on a bit of tortilla chip (which, incidentally, I didn't scrunch up as I normally do) - a nasty big triangular shaped piece got firmly lodged in my throat ... my life flashed before me ... I was home alone ... quickly I drank some hot water then had some olive oil ...

the joy of braces, eh ...
Lower incisor extraction & metal lower: 31.03.05
Ceramic upper: 27.05.05
Treatment time: 18 months

lionfish

#20 Post by lionfish »

Way Too Old For This wrote:
I'm still have a really hard time eating sushi rolls. The ones we get are too big to pop in your mouth and there is NO WAY I can bite it in two. I have a hard enough time getting them to bring me a fork, much less a knife. (Maybe I should bring my own :lol: )
I know what you mean. My OH and I pick up sushi regularly to supplement the old office lunch. It's hard enough to bite into nori without braces, so we cut the rolls into 4 pieces. We have crockery and cutlery in the office anyway because we like to be semi-civilised when eating over the paperwork!

candygrrrl

#21 Post by candygrrrl »

Ditto on the pizza. To eat the crust (which I love), I shove it in sideways to the very back of my mouth where I can actually chew. Another thing I can't stay away from are Vietnamese soft spring rolls. Unlike with sushi (which I've given up for the duration), I don't mind cutting those up in public.

But basically, except for soup and grits, I eat everything with a knife and fork!

juf_84

#22 Post by juf_84 »

Lavish bread with roasted eggplant spread.
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

Wired1

#23 Post by Wired1 »

This is a great question! The toughest thing I cut up with a knife and fork was a Lindor Truffle. They're round and hard to stop rolling. Probably not as tough as cutting an olive off the pit though... kinda redefines working for your supper...

Raspberry

#24 Post by Raspberry »

I cut up nearly everything with a knife and fork to eat now.

Cut the corn off the cob...

I eat subs and wraps, and pizza with a knife and fork.

but the best thing to not cut up is slices of melon... my teeth used to be really crooked and wonky, and now when I bite into a piece of melon I marvel at the lovely half circle my bite makes! :D

JumpTheDitch

#25 Post by JumpTheDitch »

A california roll.

When I got wires changed last time my ortho installed what he called "some fairly hefty wires". Too right. I thought a sushi roll would be soft enough if i cut it into little bits. Apparently not. I ended up putting it in the blender (with some wasabi and soy sauce, of course) and feeding myself little squidgy balls of mush in little bird-like portions. :roll:

It was a very nice roll though!

DizzyKitty

#26 Post by DizzyKitty »

Beware of tortilla chips - nearly choked to death recently on a bit of tortilla chip (which, incidentally, I didn't scrunch up as I normally do) - a nasty big trianglur shaped piece got firmly lodged in my throat ... my life flashed before me ... I was home alone ... quickly I drank some hot water then had some olive oil ...

I have had this exact tortilla chip experience more than once (like I should actually LEARN from it LOL). I find myself nearly choking on a lot of things because I don't chew as thoroughly as I need to sometimes. Of course this is the reason I cut up a lot of things or do the tearing of sandwiches, chicken SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM and such.

I cut pizza and hamburgers if I'm in a restaurant...sometimes if my front teeth just aren't taking me biting into something.

Oh, I also cut up soft tacos. I can't wait to bite into a caramel apple again!
- Dizzy