To brace or not to brace: Worried about extraction

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mmmmuuaa

#16 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

My Ortho at first wanted 4 extractions. Then after I had my xrays and pic.'s taken he said only 2. After I had time to think it over I asked if there was anyway I could go with no extractions. He said that it was no problem, that I'd just need to wear elastics then. That sounded good and that's the road I've taken. I'm hoping for a nice big toothy smile!

toneten10

#17 Post by toneten10 »

Hello everyone! Thanks for all your advices, comforting words and well wishes. I have to admit, my worries have subsided a little.

To those that suggested that I have more than one consult: I already did. The first consult I had was from a general practitioner that also practiced on orthodontry. She mentioned that I had to have some teeth extracted. Although she didn't mention how many. The 2nd consult was with an actual orthodontist. During the consult, she took a look at my teeth and said that I needed to have four teeth extracted. One from every quadrant. And then she also mentioned that she needed to extract my lower jaw's impacted wisdom tooth (take note, I already had one taken out in my lower jaw-which is why I was concerned in the first place.)

Anyway, I have no problems with the fact that she might need to extract my upper bicuspids. I was more worried that 4 teeth will be extracted from the bottom (ie two wisdom tooth, two bicuspids). After hours and days of worrying, I asked the ortho (2nd consult) if it would be possible not to extract any teeth from my lower jaw. And she said that we could put that on hold until we see the result of alignment on that side. So that's good... Don't you think? Hopefully, everything will turn out okay. I'll be having my extractions November 4. So there you go... just wanted to update you guys!

Gennel

#18 Post by Gennel »

there is very little pain with extractions andif you do have discomfort it's usually a day. Mine was not your typical extraction. One of my tooth's root was very ,very twisted so that one tooth extraction was a problem.
If it makes you feel any better I had 6 extractions done in one day PLUS I need all 4 wisdom teeth extracted also! So a total of 10 teeth! I had all 32 teeth until this lol. One thing I can tell you is this .... My fears and anxiety was 100times worse than the actual procedure! As soon as it was done ,I told the oral surgeon" OMG , I can't believe that I did'nt sleep for over a week over this!"

You can make yourself crazy with anxiety. I ended up needing sleeping pills for one week because I was sleeping like 2-3hrs a day when the extraction date was like a week away! You will do fine. Talk it over with your ortho if you have any other concerns.

Gennel

toneten10

#19 Post by toneten10 »

Hello KK,

Thanks for commending me on my effort to explain my concerns to my ortho. I really wanted to have braces but was quite worried about the extractions :p Right now I guess I have to wait till the day of extractions. Part of me is still worried (obviously) but part of me is quite excited about the adventure I'm about to embark on.

Well, I'll be having another consult tomorrow, before the actual extractions which will probably be scheduled next saturday. I'll keep you guys posted.

Btw, it's really nice to have Brace Buddies here. It makes the process less scary. Anyway, thanks again and todallooo!!!

Dramagyrl

#20 Post by Dramagyrl »

Just my two cents:
I had four extractions. Felt a bit of pressure during the experience, but nerves were the majority of the problem, if anything.
The first day when I had to change the gauze I was alarmed by the blood and a few months later, it doesn't even phase me. It was really easy.
The only other heads-up I'd like to offer is that when you get the braces, the extraction holes will likely feel the most tender of anything in the first few months, but that is because a lot of movement progress will go through those holes. Mine are closing nicely. :)

As for the smoking part, I did smoke after my extractions. However, I didn't feel so great, so the smoking was limited and I was careful to salt water rinse my mouth every time afterwards for fear of drying the sockets. No complications.

I thought I would miss my teeth.... and after the fact, I'm fine without them.
Last edited by Dramagyrl on Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dramagyrl

#21 Post by Dramagyrl »

My first double post :P

toneten10

#22 Post by toneten10 »

Oh yeah, I was kinda wondering about that. After having teeth extracted, wouldn't it be very painful to have braces? Cause I have no idea. I haven't encountered any posts about that. Most of the posts I've read are about the process of extraction and not so much the effect of it when you have braces. Can anyone share their experiences? Thanks!

totoro928

#23 Post by totoro928 »

toneten10,
I had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out by a Maxillofacial Surgeon, two of which were impacted, a couple years ago and that went extremely well. No swelling or pain after the local anesthesia wore off, starting eating the next day. So this time around when getting my braces, I needed to have 4 teeth removed, one from each quadrant, I figured no biggie...boy was I wrong! First off, I went back to my general dentist to have him perform the extractions, the needle for the shot of novacaine he was giving me hit right on a nerve and I can't even decribe how painful that was!!! :oops: Then on the 2nd tooth he was extracting I starting feeling the pain...he stopped and gave me more novacaine. To make a long story short, I developed an infection and couldn't chew (liquid diet only) for over a week. Luckily my ortho appt. was scheduled for 2 weeks after the extractions.

Joual

#24 Post by Joual »

3 orthos told me that I should have 4 bicuspids and all 4 wisdom teeth out. I've seen other orthos who said I can keep my wisdom teeth, but I still need 4 bicuspids extracted.

2 orthos said that I have to keep my bottom bicuspids for my bite to be correct.