Ceramic Braces - how noticable??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Samantha08

#16 Post by Samantha08 »

In my opinion, I would definitely go with the ceramics. I had six ceramics on my top teeth (the back ones were metal) and half the time people didnt even notice that I had braces at all. It was definitely worth it. Why spend the money on the invisilign when it costs the same for ceramics and you can get your teeth perfect within a few years? Seriously, I didnt have a single problem with my ceramics at all. I think you will probably regret going with the invisilign because after your time is up and your teeth may not be as perfect as you want, you could be disappointed. The time in braces FLIES by, Im not even joking. You'll be getting them off before you know it! :)
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

WeezieGirl25

#17 Post by WeezieGirl25 »

Ceramics all the way. My ortho said if I preferred I could do invisalign but he said it wouldn't correct my cross bite the way that traditional braces would. So I thought to myself, why would I pay more for invisalign and not have the entire problem fixed rather than pay less money and get everything fixed?? I got ceramics and I love them. They really aren't that noticeble especially when you get clear or light colored ligs. I can't even tell I'm wearing braces anymore. I would go with the ceramics if I were you but of course only you know what's best for you.

SecondTimer

#18 Post by SecondTimer »

I would (and did) choose the ceramics. I had a similar decision. Twelve months with invisalign or 6-9 months with traditional braces. The ortho also said if the invisalign didn't produce the desired result, they may need to use traditional braces for an additional 4-7 months. I was wary of my decision to go with ceramic on top and metal on the bottom, but since they're on, I'm glad that's the route I chose. Seriously, no one will notice your braces, and if they do, most people won't say anything unless you bring it up.

lionfish

#19 Post by lionfish »

A friend of mine has ceramics on top and metal on the bottom. The first time I saw her in braces, the only thing that gave it away was the glint of the metal lowers. I'd not even spotted the uppers as she had a white wire. She had to point it out.

I have ceramics (bottom teeth only, went lingual on top) and I think I can count on three fingers the number of people who have spotted them in the 7 months they've been on. We had folks around to dinner Saturday night who've been around me long enough and know me well enough to have picked it up.....and they didn't! Like iborg says, people tend not to pay attention if you pay no attention to them yourself.

At my last adjustment, I took the plunge and swopped from pearl coloured ligs to mauve. And no-one has noticed yet!! Boo hoo!!

Skylark

#20 Post by Skylark »

Hi you lot,

Thanks so much for all the advice, I'm definitely leaning towards ceramics - something I wouldn't even have considered when I first decided to do something about my teeth!

One more thing, I'd prefer to have a white arch wire but my ortho reckons it will probably be metal and that it won't make much difference to visibility. He also says the white coating comes off. So... any thoughts on wire colour?

Thanks! x

Skylark

#21 Post by Skylark »

Hi you lot,

Thanks so much for all the advice, I'm definitely leaning towards ceramics - something I wouldn't even have considered when I first decided to do something about my teeth!

One more thing, I'd prefer to have a white arch wire but my ortho reckons it will probably be metal and that it won't make much difference to visibility. He also says the white coating comes off. So... any thoughts on wire colour?

Thanks! x

Skylark

#22 Post by Skylark »

Oops I think that post came up twice! :oops:

Iccle_Peanut

#23 Post by Iccle_Peanut »

I have to point out to people that i've got a brace on (ceramic) i was getting a bit gutted that no one noticed!!!! I was so nervous about it being visible but now i'm gagging to get my lower (metal) on, having braces is great and boosted my confidence loads!!

You come to realise that no one cares!!! After day one i was like 'why isn't anyone talking about my brace' 'they should notice' but they don't!!! And no body looks at it either!

So don't be worried
23rd June - First Consultation at ortho
24 July - Second Consultation - Decide on top braces
29 August - Decide on top and bottom braces.
Tops go on 26th Sept and bottoms 2-3 months after

Iccle_Peanut

#24 Post by Iccle_Peanut »

I have to point out to people that i've got a brace on (ceramic) i was getting a bit gutted that no one noticed!!!! I was so nervous about it being visible but now i'm gagging to get my lower (metal) on, having braces is great and boosted my confidence loads!!

You come to realise that no one cares!!! After day one i was like 'why isn't anyone talking about my brace' 'they should notice' but they don't!!! And no body looks at it either!

So don't be worried
23rd June - First Consultation at ortho
24 July - Second Consultation - Decide on top braces
29 August - Decide on top and bottom braces.
Tops go on 26th Sept and bottoms 2-3 months after

jennielee81

#25 Post by jennielee81 »

I teach middle school and my students usually take about 2 weeks to notice that I have braces. Usually it's one kid who says it out loud and then the rest say, "I didn't even notice". It's not that they're not visible, it's that MOST people (present company excepted :wink: ) don't look at your mouth when you're talking/ smiling. With clear (ceramic) brackets there's nothing there to draw the attention (unless you are already looking at the mouth as I do :roll: )

If the invisalign might not fix the tooth that is high up, you may end up in braces anyway so why not just start there?

Just my H. O. Here's a picture of my opals:

THe major problem with any of these is the wire is visible. There are a few here who have a white wire but that's the ortho's decission now ours.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

fins

#26 Post by fins »

If I only had to wear them 5 months, I'd go with metal. I love ceramics and they are less noticeable in my opinion, but they can hurt coming off during debanding. It might be something to speak to your ortho about before you decide.

Skylark

#27 Post by Skylark »

Hi Jennie, I teach as well (4-11 year olds). I'm surprised and reassured that your students didn't notice - even with a metal wire. The children are the least of my worries, in fact I think it might even make me look cool as they all seem to want them when they're a bit older!

Maryten - my ortho also said that only certain sizes of wire can be coated so I don't know which I'll get.

Anyone with a white wire - does it make a lot of difference to metal? Was it your choice or up to the ortho?

Thanks again x

Skylark

#28 Post by Skylark »

Iccle Peanut, you say you're a bit gutted that no one's noticed - :lol:
I hope I get to the stage when I'm desperate for people to notice!!

Glad your confidence has improved since getting them - hopefully the same for me too!

M1k3y

#29 Post by M1k3y »

I have ceramics and here is a pic to show you how discreet they are.

I had the "tooth colored" archwire but like you stated earlier the coating does wear off. I find it that it is not worth spending the extra money to have the color coated archwire. Even with a metal color wire people still don't notice much.
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08

Skylark

#30 Post by Skylark »

Hiya,
Thanks for the pic.

Wow you can't see yours at all! I'm guessing that must be the tooth coloured wire? You say you have a metal wire now, do you find more people have commented? Any pics? I'd much prefer a tooth coloured wire but my ortho doesn't seem to think it makes much difference. And it's interesting to hear that your coating chipped off....