Does your ortho listen to you? Trade article planned

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kodius Champion

#16 Post by Kodius Champion »

I'm still a wee bit steamed over the time I told him I'd had some "serious movement" (well, it was to me!) and he laughed at me. :evil:

ellebee

#17 Post by ellebee »

I will be going to my first adjustment on Monday and I plan to ask all the questions I should have asked before I started my treatment.

I want to know what movement I can expect to see first, what pressures are being applied and for what reason.

I don't know if my Ortho will explain this to me or become defensive or patronizing.

I'm going to approach it gingerly, as in, "hey, I'm really curious about the mechanics of this process. Can you please give me a simple explanation of what's going on in my mouth?"

Hope he responds positively. I'll let you know. (I posted separately today about my doubts and fears about my Ortho.)

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

gunter8888

#18 Post by gunter8888 »

One of the things that impressed me about my ortho the first time I went for a consult was that I didn't feel like I was on an assembly line. His office was busy, but not hurried. Every little step; the pano x-ray, the measurements, everything was explained to me. He went over the treatment plan in great detail and in layman's terms. He didn't call my appliance by its technical name (Schwartz) he called it an expander and did his best to find a similar appliance to show me and described how mine would be difference from the one he had on hand. Then he sat chair side and repeatedly asked, "What other questions do you have?"

This week was another example of how great Dr. W is about taking time for his patients. I was in for what I thought would be the standard, monthly expander check. After doing a little checking he turned to the assistant and said, "Yeah, the bottoms are ready to be bracketed." Before she could respond I asked, "Today? Are you planning to do it today?" They looked at each other and said, "Sure, we can do it today if you like." I expected what I usually get from Drs and Dentists - "No, you'll have to see _____ at the front desk and make an appointment. This week was perfect for me because the rest of the month is going to be virtually impossible to get away from work.

We all appreciate being treated as fellow humans. Not patients. Not even customers because even with the money we spend aside, we are humans and we all love being treated with humanity.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

nvcarissa

#19 Post by nvcarissa »

I like it when the ortho takes the initiative to ask the adult patient, "do you have any questions?", or "do you have any concerns so far in your treatment?".
Yes!! My ortho...as good as he is...has had to be taught to keep me in the loop. When I first started asking questions, I got the feeling that he thought I was questioning his abilities. Yikes! So on the next visit I explained that I wasn't questioning his skill, just that I am the kind of person who likes as much information as possible on anything upon which I focus my interest (and invest my funds). He has gotten a bit better, but I still have to ask. For instance, I still don't know what size wires are in my mouth. I don't ask...it seems too much trouble and micro-managing on my part, but it would be nice if he would just SAY it as part of the treatment, or instruct his techs to do so. The most I get from them is, "We're putting a thicker wire in." or "This tooth needs to be rotated."

The most that I have gotten out of my ortho about my treatment is to tell me that pre-op, "We are getting everything lined up so that your bite will fit together properly once surgery is complete." He never told me things that became obvious to me as treatment progressed, such us: "We will be widening your bite by [insert what he planned on doing here]."

Once the surgery had been done, he told me some things about how long it takes for the jaw muscles to settle in, etc, and that has been very helpful.

In your article, (which I hope you will post on the web site, once it is published), I would second and third the suggestions above that the ortho become pro-active in dealing with adults under his/her care, and create an atmosphere in his/her office where questions are not only welcome, but encouraged.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Delag

#20 Post by Delag »

I visited several orthodontists before choosing my doctor. It may help to know some of the reasons I did not choose the other canditates. One doctor was nixed right off the bat as he did not use gloves and put his instruments on my chest rather than on a tray. Another, I did not choose because he had several patients in the same room and I would have been uncomfortable with everyone hearing about my treatement. In addition, I did not feel comfortable with his treatment plan. The third was great (the mentor of the doctor I choose), but is quite far from home .

The orthodontist I did go with was the first I went to see. I must confess that after he told me I was a surgical case, most of what he told me went in one ear and out the other. After I had some other consults I stopped by his office to make an appointment, and he saw me then and there and explained EVERYTHING again - no charge.

He presents his patients with at least two treatment options. At no time did he pressure me to choose one option over the other (although he did give his opinion) and at no time did he pressure me do even go ahead with braces. He and his staff are exceedingly friendly and patient. He does all of the work himself, although the confidence he has in his staff is very evident.

I appreciate his sence of ethics and profesionalism - things are taken at a slow pace, even if it means a lot of chair time. Everything is explained until I understand. There was a moment that sticks in my mind that really put me at ease. I was gabbing about how I was worried that he was going to bracket the molars (he does not use bands) because I have crowns. He said that it was his job to worry about those things and if a bracket comes off he would simply put it back on. I don't know why, but his clam reassurance did a lot to help me let go of my fears.

Perhaps the best part of his practice is that anythime I need something simple, like cutting a pokey wire, I can just stop in without an appointment. The only downside I have seen so far is that he has offices on three cities and would not be available for an emergency - his staff is always available though.

In the end I believe that it was his way of approaching my complex case that won me over. He sees the mouth and jaw as one unit that must work together, rather than just wanting to straighten teeth and make a buck.

TuZZi

#21 Post by TuZZi »

I had no choice on the ortho I chose, as he's the only one in town, and he's only here for 4 days a month, the rest of the month he is travelling around to other smaller cities. He runs a very busy practice, and along with the assistants, they easily oversee 15+ patients an hour, sometimes for 10 hours a day.

So because of that, I've been frustrated a couple times during treatment that he couldn't authorize the assistants to fix something that was bothering me, or he didn't have time to explain things while they were happening.

I had one experience where my upper molar bands were digging into my gums and causing quite a disturbance, making them puffy, inflamed, and very tender. I asked my ortho about it every appointment for 3 months, and each time he said there wasn't time to take them off, as that would take 15 minutes more than my usual time. It took 2 visits to my dentist, until my dentist called him up and told my ortho that if he didn't take the bands off at my next appointment, he'd take them off himself. Well it so happened that my ortho's dad was filling in for him that month and my bands came off with no problems at my next appointment. His dad also let me know what was causing the irritation, and said that if the bottom bands ever bugged me, he'd get one of the assistants to take them off for me no matter what time of the month it was. Everything has been fine since then.

My my appointment the other day, my ortho asked what I wanted him to correct this month, as he's doing some minor details and finishing touches as I'm now on the home stretch. I asked him if it was possible to get my molars closer together, as they are still not close to touching, and it makes chewing difficult. He said he could do that no problem, and asked if I was happy with the way my front teeth now lined up, as that was what I wanted fixed last month. I said they looked great, and he said they'd look even better if he shaped them a bit, so I said sure, and he broke out the little dremel-like tool and went to work on all my front teeth, top and bottom.

So there has been things that I haven't been impressed with, and other things I have, so I'm guessing pretty much everyone else has had more-or-less the same experience. Either way, my ortho is a miracle worker, and I defintely wouldn't be the person I am today without him :D
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

Rickysa

#22 Post by Rickysa »

Wow....

Lynn, that is going to be one informative article!

Dr. S

ame_malia

#23 Post by ame_malia »

I'd have to say that I've had all positive experiences with my ortho.

At the beginning I sorta dreaded getting braces because I remember my brother's ortho who was not nice at all and would get mad at my bro when he popped a bracket or something. Also, even though my regular dentist is a nice guy, I hate going to see him because I really don't like people poking around in my mouth, and I had some bad experiences with getting cavities as a child.
Fortunatly, my ortho, which was recommended to me by a friend, was very nice, and although I have yet to break anything, a get a few "freebies" before he starts charging for repairs! Also, except for the initial bracket placement, everything is done very quickly, so I don't have that horrid feeling of someone poking around in my mouth.
He is also very good at answering my questions. Before I started treatment, I found this website, and learned a little about braces, and therefore probably asked more questions about my upcoming treatment than I would have otherwise. He was very good at explaining things thoroughly in a non-technical way, and showed me an example of the bite plate I would have to wear during part of my treatment.
I've only had one check-up so far, but even though the assistant was the one who changed my wire, he stopped by before and after to look at my teeth and ask me if I had had problems or questions. The office is also very good at fitting my appointments around my schedule, since I am a college student, and cannot really afford to miss very many, if any, classes.
All in all, I am very pleased with everything so far, and my ortho is great!

michael33

#24 Post by michael33 »

My ortho usually seems bothered & agitated when I ask him questions, he just acts way too busy. The ortho assistants can also be quite annoying. They'll have 1 hand inside my mouth holding a bracket or wire & be completely turned around & talking to another assistant.