Why can't I eat popcorn??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KatK

#16 Post by KatK »

thanks for your responses everyone!! I'll see how long i can hold out... it's been about 3 weeks.... i think not eating so much popcorn is causing me to lose weight! haha!

lionfish

#17 Post by lionfish »

Kittysopretty wrote:I eat popcorn!! Doesn't everyone?? :wink:
Er, no. This may sound like heresy, but I don't like the stuff. :oops:

lionfish

#18 Post by lionfish »

I don't know kettle corn....is that any relation to the kettle chip? I lurv the kettle chip.

Raspberry

#19 Post by Raspberry »

I eat pop-corn all the time too... I also eat nuts, caramel and raw veggies (all on my no-no list)... no problems yet (knock on wood) I just eat it really carefully.
shhhh don't tell my ortho...

Tin Indian

#20 Post by Tin Indian »

I eat popcorn, nuts and I even ate sweet corn on the cob last night. They made a mess on of my brackets but I excused myself to the restroom and continued eating when I came back.I just eat very carefully.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

lionfish

#21 Post by lionfish »

OK, now that I know what kettle corn is I think I've eaten it a long time ago.

Tin Indian, if you really want to make a mess of your brackets, try mango. Mango is in season here and I've got a tray in my fridge, so I'm downing between 1-2 per day (shared with OH, of course). It's fabulous fruit and I love it to bits, but I have to spend another five minutes pulling stuff out afterwards.

Malzee

#22 Post by Malzee »

My dental assistant actually went through the list with me and said I could eat popcorn as long as I was careful. I found that odd and probably won't until I'm super comfortable with my braces, but I definitely was surprised!

4113n

#23 Post by 4113n »

isent it because the shell bits can get stuck, and make you get cavities or rot your tooth??

SnowSara

#24 Post by SnowSara »

I held out for quite some time (8 months or so?) before giving in and eating popcorn to my heart's content. I got busted by my dentist at a cleaning though, he had to pry a shell out of its hiding place, uh oh! No damage done though, I think it was just from the night before. The shells can get quite stuck and lead to tooth decay, so be careful!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

jennielee81

#25 Post by jennielee81 »

Also can be a big cause of gum infections.

My dentist really wishes that NONE of her patients eat the stuff; with or without braces.

I ate it while braced, and I eat it now. :wink:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

jennielee81

#26 Post by jennielee81 »

Also can be a big cause of gum infections.

My dentist really wishes that NONE of her patients eat the stuff; with or without braces.

I ate it while braced, and I eat it now. :wink:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

ibraceface

#27 Post by ibraceface »

Yeah I thought eating popcorn was no big deal too. Until my gums started getting really imflamed and bleeding easily. I went to the dentist and he pulled out 5 shells (from the seeds) that had got wedge between my teeth and below the gum.

Lesson learned.