Dating question..

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

platinum

#16 Post by platinum »

[quote="broochie]
I bet you'll get a lot of criticism for being this candid, Platinum. Everybody here is very nice, supportive, and positive, and it's wonderful! But sometimes, this whole "politically correct" is a little annoying. Come on guys, be honest ! It's not like we live in a wonderland! [/quote]

Yep... I just told my opinion. I will look awful when I get my braces. Whenever I speak or laugh my teeth show clearly. Luckily there is a possibility to swop to invisalign :)

ngbraces

#17 Post by ngbraces »

To me, for a person I've already known, I will be glad seeing him/her in braces if he/she decides to wear braces to improve dental health. However, for online dating issue, I think letting your date know you in braces before meet is a good point. Braces should be treated as another characteristics like height, weight, hair color, eye color... It's just simply informative. I don't think anyone will refuse to meet because of braces but this should be mentioned beforehand to avoid some "staring" from your date because of innocent curiosity. And maybe... it prepares your date some "interesting" topics to talk with you.. Well, you never know... :wink: :heart:

LadyTr0uble

#18 Post by LadyTr0uble »

I commend the candidness, but it is NOT that bad. I'm a banker; I talk to a lot strangers all day long, and I have not had anything negative yet. Dating may be a little different, but it's temporary!

Personally, even pre-braces me, would be more turned off by someone with mangled teeth than someone with braces, as the braces indicate that they are trying to do something about it. Imagine: someone with stained teeth. then imagine someone with braces on... I'll take the braces any day. Ok, I admit dating two different guys with braces before I got mine, and it was in my teenage, and very superficial, years. If anything, teens tend to a lot more brutal about something like braces than adults. I don't think I would've been able to handle getting braces even 5 years ago (I'm 26 now). It was still quite a shock when I took a good look at myself in the mirror with the rollercoaster thing going on in my mouth and I'd wondered what the bf was going to say.

Like KK, the bf and I kiss just as much as we did pre-braces. I have to admit that it was a little weird at first. He keeps telling me that the braces bother me more than it does him (the lisp thing, me worrying that I would cut him...)

I had a friend who said they braces took 10 years off my appearance. I have had other say that they make me look cute.

platinum-I was offered the option of ditching out an extra $3000 for invisalign later on in my treatment (so it is a possibility) and I was seriously thinking about doing just that (I am vain enough to spend that kind of money) but a month and half into it, my dentist is right: I am so used to them that it's just not worth taking off the brackets and getting the modes for my teeth and waiting 6 weeks to get the invisalign retainers in...

I am still surprised by people's reactions. Some very confident people would confide that they have been thinking about getting braces. Others would volunteer their own experiences. PS-I went out with some coworkers last week, and a some guys at the bar tried to pick me up braces and all... shhh! don't tell the bf! :shock: