Open Bite

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

deltawire

#16 Post by deltawire »

Thanks to everyone for your input. I feel a lot better knowing that I am not the only one who has experienced this. Special thanks to Dr. S for dropping the ortho knowledge for us!

Here is a pic before my treatment with a closed bite.

Here is a pic of my teeth today (12/28/06) with an open bite.

I hope they can fix my bit back to it's orginal state with vertical elastics!

~Dwire

Chris

#17 Post by Chris »

Dwire, I look the same way when I bite down. That definitely was "created" with my arch expanding and my teeth brought forward.
How much overjet do you have? I believe mine is about 3mm. This is when I bite down relaxed, then I just hit the 2nd molars but normally I just slide my lower jaw forward to get a more comfortable bite. During the day, its not so bad, but when I sleep on my side my bite become a crossbite in the back.

What worries me if I continue treatment with elastics is that I WILL get more and more open in the front. I need to bring the entire upper arch back but using elastics for that seems to open the front bite and have 2nd molar interference. If he uprights the molars then I think it will get worse in the front.

Dr S...when you say occusal adjustment to the molars, I suppose you mean grinding down the molars? Clo had that done and it seemed to make it worse.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

JayC

#18 Post by JayC »

from waht i see in the pic.. thats nothing to remotely be concerned about.. ppl with a bigger open bite than that are fixed ith elastics with no prblems

starryadora

#19 Post by starryadora »

darn openbites...the whole reason I am in braces!

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

joney

#20 Post by joney »

As an openbiter this topic interests me. At the moment when I look at my teeth I can't every imagine that bite closing, I imagine that what other people take for granted, their front teeth touching, will feel weird to me when hopefully the time comes.

Just wondering how your bite is coming along starryadora have you needed elastics?

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Chris

#21 Post by Chris »

Dwire...when you bite down what teeth hit?
Are your 2nd molars in the arch wire?
Are you able to slide your front teeth together?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007