Getting braces again, need advice

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracesAgain

#16 Post by BracesAgain »

Here's a new picture to illustrate the extent of the fanning effect.

http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ethfa7.jpg

KatK

#17 Post by KatK »

I currently see one of the docs that mjbuesch (sorry if i butchered that username) was talking about. He doesn't believe in extractions, he actually laughed at me when i asked him (with a worried look on my face, i'm sure..) that if my pendulum device didn't work would i have to have teeth extractions. I have a 6mm overbite and he is using a pendulum to create space in the back of the mouth.... he'll then use braces (damon's) to pull my teeth back into those spaces. He's had tons of success with this device... google it if you want to know more info.. i usually do something like "ortho pendulum device".

Good luck!

Either way your teeth look really pretty on top, and very white! :-)
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

BracesAgain

#18 Post by BracesAgain »

How old are you? Everything I've read about Functional Jaw Orthopedics indicates that it works best in growing children. I am in my mid-twenties... Also, I can't find an association of FJOs...and I can't locate one in my state that treats adults. Any advice?

BracesAgain

#19 Post by BracesAgain »

Hi again, I just researched pendulum devices. They were created for people with class II maloclussions. I have a class I maloclussion. Thanks for the info, but it doesn't seem like an option :(

ghostmyimag3

#20 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

BracesAgain wrote:
ghostmyimag3 wrote:When you say "fan out" exactly what do you mean. Your teeth look fine to me cept that one tooth. I had a 9mm overjet on my uppers, and I didn't want any teeth removed that won't absolutely neccessary. I had crowding but i told him to just round them out. So if you mean rounded then i completely understand.
Noone has perfect teeth. What is perfect teeth anyway, you have to deal with what you have right. I'm 30, and a perfectionist and I've lived with crowding since i was 8. But now I'm just to the point if they are straight and look right i'm fine with it.
I think you should get the braces on the bottom, that tooth may give you problems later, but as much as i have sat in a dentist chair i personally wouldn't remove any teeth. But thats just me.

I have an overjet. I'm not sure by exactly how much, but if you search for pictures of Emmy Rossum, you will notice that her teeth fan outwards in a similar way that mine to. I want "Hollywood teeth" and most people in Hollywood have teeth that to not lean out of the mouth. Here's another picture of how my teeth tilt. They don't look that bad in the picture, but they do bother me tremendously. The bottom teeth fan out worse, which makes me feel like they're literally falling out of my mouth. You shouldn't see the back of someone's bottom teeth when they're talking to you.

http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... allmz1.jpg

I got ya! I would be unhappy with that also.You can see my problem in my blog, the link is below i have some pics on there. I got 12 1/2 months left however i was told i would have a slight overbite since i elected not to have my gums in the front of my upper arch reconstructed. If you have to have the teeth removed to correct it and get'm like you want its your decision noone can really tell you what to do. It really makes me a little uneasy to see the amount of people who have had braces younger in life and end up getting them again for various reasons
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

BracesAgain

#21 Post by BracesAgain »

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm definitely going to see more orthos to see if there is a viable solution where I don't have teeth extracted. In any case, I will need to learn how you guys have those little info tickers and blogs. I want to start one when I get braces! This place is filled with so much info and helpful people!

Gennel

#22 Post by Gennel »

My daughter's profile looks a lot like your pic. Is this the same as "flaring" flared teeth? Our ortho shaved a tiny,tiny amount from her front teeth and put a powerchain on her. He will do it again probably in her next appt. Her teeth have gone back a little bit. She had no extractions so now her teeth are aligned but not back to where they should be.She has about another year in braces ,around 18 months total.
I also had that same wonky bottom tooth pushed further back than yours. I have an expander on to upright my 2nd molars but it also pushed that wonky bottom front tooth all the way to the front where it should be.
I did have extractions on the top and bottom though.

Gennel

BracesAgain

#23 Post by BracesAgain »

Hi, I just came back from my 3rd ortho consult. This ortho told me exactly the same thing as the other orthos. He said that since I am so protrusive (the technical term for what is going on in my mouth), that my best option is to have teeth extracted. Of course, like the other orthos, he would be happy to simply align the bottom teeth because I don't *need* teeth extracted, but that there's no way he can make them stand up straight by doing that- and since that is a big concern of mine. I also asked him if he thought that my case was purely psychological- and he said no. He said that my observations about my teeth are valid and the way to treat those observations are straightforward. Obviously, so straightforward that 3 separate orthodontists came to the same conclusions. Bummer... well it looks like I'm going to go through with this, but I'm not sure if I should wait a couple of months before diving right in.

Gennel

#24 Post by Gennel »

If you must have the premolars taken out then go for it. It's a scary thing for some people including myself when I had to face the fact that I needed the extractions in order to get the results that I wanted. I got 2 upper premolars and two lower premolars take out (and that is more than enough space) However I had 2 more taken out because of decay.
I think you will be very,very pleased as soon as you see the gaps closed and your teeth will not be portruding anymore. I think you know your teeth better than anyone else.

Please post when you get braced!

Gennel