Pin implant? Helpy?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

macca

#16 Post by macca »

Hi there Pilotgurl,
I have just had two mini screw impants put in on the 25th Jan, and I would say do not worry at all. All the apprehensions I had were were completely OTT and the procedure itself is really not bad at all, and it's over pretty quickly.
When the surgeon put mine in, first of all he applied a gel to numb the gum area, then used a needle to inject the stronger anaesthetic. I then had to rinse with a disinfectant like drink, which is not easy with a numb mouth, I was splashing most of it out my mouth and down my t-shirt.
Once the anaesthetic has taken effect, he then used a small drill like device to make the incision into the gum and jaw bone where the pin is to be implanted. He then inserted the pin with a screwdriver like appliance and tightened it in place.

I hope the description isn't too bad, but most of all don't worry too much, you really don't feel a thing. Afterwards, I only felt a sort of low-grade dull ache for about a day and right now I can't feel a thing (well apart from the screws themselves).

Hope it goes OK for you.

pilotgurl

#17 Post by pilotgurl »

thanks for all da feedback.

but what does OTT mean?

just wondering why did you have a surgon do it?

Lisa65

#18 Post by Lisa65 »

just wondering why did you have a surgon do it?
not all orthodontists are trained in the insertion of screw implants. If that's the case then they have to send you to an oral surgeon to do the job.