braces on the same day as the consultation?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tnj1220

#16 Post by tnj1220 »

this orthodontist has a full lab in house (something I've seen recommended here). the consultation starts with a basic exam and discussion with the pationt, and an evaluation based on what they see before xrays. then they come and talk to you about next steps.

assuming you want to move ahead, they take xrays - a full panorama - and molds, which they can have ready for analysis pretty quickly, to determine what's to be done and how, and once those are available they come see you again to talk about options. they don't just start gluing appliances to your teeth.

but can they complete the initial diagnosis and be ready for to start treatment in just a couple of hours? if i know what i think needs to be done in the first place, and they come back with answers i anticipate, is it safe to think they can get started?

i'll let you know where it goes and if it plays out the way i am told it will...

thanks for all the feedback!

platinum

#17 Post by platinum »

hmmm, as a scientist I usually plan a new measurement longer than 2 hours. And in my case it is not somebodies teeth I am experimenting with...

WiredCherry

#18 Post by WiredCherry »

Hey tnj1220,

I had an experience similar to yours when I first got braced. I went in for my consult one day and was informed that I could get my records done and braced the following day. I was a little concerned about them being able to do records and brace me in the same day and in such a short amount of time. But I felt comfortable with this ortho and the staff and he said the same thing as the other orthos I got consults from regarding my treatment. Also, I talked to another patient of his while I was waiting, so I went ahead with it. I've had no complaints thus far (it's been two weeks). So I say, if you feel comfortable with the ortho, and everything he says is along the same lines as to what others have said regarding your treatment then go for it! :thumbsup:

Delag

#19 Post by Delag »

Don't you all think that a dertermining factor may be how complex the case is? I mean, if there are no real bite issues to deal with, I imagine it is pretty straight foward. In my case (very complex), the orthos did molds and studied them before making any recomendations, but they ALL said my bite was complicated within about 30 seconds of seeing me LOL! A quick bracing might just be a sign that it is a simple case.

platinum

#20 Post by platinum »

DELAG
Don't you all think that a dertermining factor may be how complex the case is? I mean, if there are no real bite issues to deal with, I imagine it is pretty straight foward.
I could imagine that, too. But, I would not like to have been braced asap.

WiredCherry

#21 Post by WiredCherry »

Don't you all think that a dertermining factor may be how complex the case is?

Yes I agree with you, complexity of the case should be taken into account. I have upper and lower spacing, no "bite" issues, so my case is pretty straightforward, which is why I believe I was able to get braced so quickly. So, if tnj1220's case isn't too severe then I don't see why getting consulted and braced in the same day would be a problem.
Good luck!!