advice needed: braces and TMJ

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

#16 Post by Chris »

I wonder how is it possible to obtain such different respones... and, moreover, I have no idea on who should I trust more. My intuition tells me to go with the second plan, but I do not have any medical background to support that. ...
This is VERY typical! Lots of us got very different treatment options when we first started and yes, it does seem like russian roulette when it comes down to picking one. This can drive you crazy, I know. I'm going through it right now even after my braces are off and deciding on the restoration treatment (implants, bridges, etc.)

This is just my personal opinion, but I would wait and wear the splint until your jaw pain settles down. It may be that braces would eventually correct the problem, maybe it won't but it couldn't hurt to wait until the inflammation in your jaw joints is better before you proceed.

There are orthos out there that specialize in using splints while you are in braces. They continue to shave the splint until your teeth finally touch. Check out "functional orthodontics" on the web and see if there are any orthos in your area that do that. They do seem to be more concerned about your bite and TMJ than regular orthos. (hey, nobody better throw a pie in my face here.) :lol: Just my opinion.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Rickysa

#17 Post by Rickysa »

Chris wrote: Check out "functional orthodontics" on the web and see if there are any orthos in your area that do that. They do seem to be more concerned about your bite and TMJ than regular orthos. (hey, nobody better throw a pie in my face here.) :lol: Just my opinion.
Ouch! :D

Dr. S
-Grad of UNC Ortho '92 (research centered around ceramic brackets)

iBorg

#18 Post by iBorg »

Ahhh.... now I get it started.

Just because an ortho says they do functional orthodontics is not a gurantee for quality. I did a search for my state and found a former dentist who did not diagnose my teeth grinding or prescribe a splint to help it. He did smooth off several teeth when I damaged them by grinding. Went to a different dentist and within five minutes asked me if I knew I ground my teeth. She prescribed a splint which helped greatly for a year and a half.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Chris

#19 Post by Chris »

I just knew I'd get some attention when I posted that suggestion. :wink:

I'm just another fellow bracewearer offering a suggestion to someone who is perplexed. True, just because someone says they do "functional orthodontics" doesn't say TOO much about the quality of work or the final outcome. But it is alittle different approach you may want to consider.

Dr S ... you're the greatest ... you know that. :P
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

sstitt04

#20 Post by sstitt04 »

I waited till I was 30 to deal with my TMJ issues. I was having headaches 2 - 3 days per week. I had my braces put on in mid-November and I've not had a headache since then. I can't believe I ever considered not dealing with it. =)

But to each our own. Good luck!