Where is the initial pain?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Julie08

Pain

#16 Post by Julie08 »

Jefferson24 - to answer your question about what ortho said - he does not seem to think my progress is poor or excellent, from what I can tell- seems to have the attitude that it just "takes as long as it takes" and everyone is different- and it's very different with each person. I'm guessing that at 44 years old, maybe my teeth aren't moving quite as fast as someone 30 years younger - but then nothing on me is quite as it was 30 years ago, (darn, wish I appreciated things more back then!) so I guess that doesn't surprise me all that much.

Let's celebrate lack of pain (cheers - raising big glass of wine to you!) :wink:

ssfw

#17 Post by ssfw »

I have never had any pain during my orthodontic treatment and hope that continues :D . Sometimes during adjustments, I feel some pressure but not pain.

Good luck with your ortho treatment.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

purkeyrose

No Pain

#18 Post by purkeyrose »

I think we're all worrying about the same things. I just got my braces two days ago and I haven't had any real pain yet. I can feel the pressure especially when I brush my teeth, but that's about it. I was worried too that that might mean there wasn't anything happening, so I'm glad to see that others are having the same experience. The only real pain I have is when I floss between a couple of my upper teeth. I think they are tighter than they usually are from the spacers. I'm hoping that as they start to move it will become easier. I'm still trying to get the hang of flossing with braces anyway. I have to look in the mirror so no more flossing while I watch television at night. I am having trouble flossing the back teeth especially the ones that have the bands on them. Either I can't get the floss threader through or the band tears the floss. I guess I'll keep working on that. I have ordered one of those oral irrigators to help clean that area. Other people have recommended it, so I'll try it out.

jefferson24

We are all in the same boat and I am SO glad

#19 Post by jefferson24 »

I can certainly now feel that there is probably movement happening and some tenderness when I bite down but I am convinced there will be no throbbing or "pain"! There are lots of explanations above from experienced "bracers" as to the psychological reasons and modern braces.
Even with all that explained I still needed to hear there were others out there without the pain too. Glad to have others with the same experience!
Thanks for your input Purkeyrose!

JoviFan

#20 Post by JoviFan »

Well, this is my 3rd day since being braced on my uppers - and I'm pleasantly surprised !!! Yes, I feel discomfort when I eat, right now esp on 1 of the upper left molars, when I brush and floss things are very tender...but no constant pain.. Yes I feel pressure most of the time, but not pain that I need pain relievers every 4 hours.....I've had some headaches past 2 days, but I get them regularly anyway, braces could aggrevate it I guess, but who knows! No mouth sores, using salt water rinses 1-2x/day...using the waterpik 1-2x/day also....From what I've read here, it's the first couple days that can 'be the worse'...so if that's my case, things will hopefully be a breeze!!! :) :) One happy person here!!! Now, I can't wait to start noticing movement! I'm glad this post is here, and I'm glad the 'no pain, no gain' philophsy doesn't apply to 'modern braces'!!!! In a way, I'm glad I waited so long to get them!! LOL -- well, sort of ..... :D :D :D
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

jefferson24

We are on our way to pain free straight teeth!

#21 Post by jefferson24 »

GOOD for you! I have to admit I am glad I waited too. The techniques of 20 years ago are what everyone seems to base their ideas on and they are all gloom and doom!

I am at 2 weeks and too can not wait to see movement!

Glad the post helped. I felt a bit silly after I started the post when I was told I needed to do more research on the modern braces and the psychology of pain. I guess it did help some folks and it really helped me!

Good luck.

platinum

#22 Post by platinum »

I got pain from braces. Firts three days I had to take pain killers. Afterwards some teeth were very sore, and aching sometimes.
Now, after 9 days only couple of premolars are very sore. They are little off the arch. It seems that they have moved a bit :)