Braces 'may not boost happiness'

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

19Braceface

#16 Post by 19Braceface »

KK wrote:
I'm not touching this one. The last time I made any comment in this subject area, I practically became a pariah.
Meryaten so interesting that this topic should surface again ... but this time in a different way.

I'm a trained psychologist ... and it's a proven fact that happiness, confidence, self eteem etc ... come from inside. Having your teeth corrected, loosing weight, cosmetic surgery ... these are physical things ... and the two are not the same. But ... one may help the other ... but it won't 'fix' the other.

... but as Meryaten wrote ... we were butchered by people who don't really understand this last time this came up ... so over and out!
I had a question that i thought maybe you could answer, before my braces i was a confident girl who got guys and enjoyed fixing herself up. I got braces out of pure vanity, every girl in the magazines had perfect teeth. Now i find myself depressed while i wear the braces, i don't like the effect they had on my face and am starting to realize that i really didnt need them. My bite and midline were fine, my front two teeth were just pushed back a bit *my baby teeth didn't fall out on time*. So i understand braces do not instantly help your self esteem, but what happens when having them on makes you feel bad? Will getting them off instantly reboost my self esteem? I know you may not know the answer but you are a professional...*sigh* and i hope you would know... :oops: