Eating...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lisa65

#16 Post by Lisa65 »

I eat everything I ate before with the exception of whole apples, chewy sweets like toffee and chewy meat like steak. I don't take any particular care with my brackets and none of them have come off.

Jembrace

#17 Post by Jembrace »

I did eat popcorn and paid for it with a gum infection. I hadn't got a piece of popcorn out of my gums and the consequences weren't fun at all. :( I also don't eat sticky candy, but I do eat smooth peanut butter.

With things like steak, I cut much smaller pieces than I did pre braces. I also love nuts and raw veggies, but no longer eat nuts and my veggies are cooked. If I feel I want more calories, good old Carnation Instant breakfast drink helps!

With your brackets popping off, it might be a matter of your teeth somehow hitting them. Make sure at your ortho's office, you do a lot not only up and down motion with your jaws, but sliding back and forth, side to side, also. I had a problem with popping a bracket, it was because of the side to side sliding situation. Your orth might also need to move the brackets lower or higher on the teeth (depending if they're on the lower or upper jaw).

Good luck!

Jembrace
1st wire change June 2007

~No dream is ever lost if we never cease to try~
Moody Blues

Sweet Escape

#18 Post by Sweet Escape »

It hurts if I eat anything that requires chewing. I tried to have a salad sandwitch but I found myself picking at it and chewing tiny bites. I think I'll stick with mash and yogurt.