Poll: Pain

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

serendipity

#16 Post by serendipity »

Elastics & sanding off the glue after getting my braces off...sends a shiver down my spine... :!:

~serendipity~

P.S - The money is also abit of a sting, but for me I felt like it was money well spent.
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

Pepper

#17 Post by Pepper »

My second adjustment.

ngbraces

#18 Post by ngbraces »

Opening my wallet. By far. lionfish
Agree!
And cleats, so far. :yikes:
Full Metal Mouth

Epyx

#19 Post by Epyx »

So far, it was when my ortho tried to squeeze my lower archwire for the first time onto a freshly-rotated molar. The tooth was so tender that a pain shot through my head. I jumped a mile in the air and smacked half of his tools of the dental tray! LOL

Then we all had a laugh. Then I realised that he was milliseconds off getting that wire in and failed. So we had to do it all again. That's when I dug my fingernails into the chair and thought of England ...

amd

#20 Post by amd »

I would have to say:
Money,
The air jet thingy they use to dry your teeth. I actually went numb from the extreme pain. They thought I was going to pass out!!
The adjustment to the bite pads caused quite a bit of muscular pain.

But I have to say that KatK wins hands down. Taking that thing out without any freezing?? OMG!! :yikes:
amd
"I suffer from short term memory loss...I think"

susieq182

#21 Post by susieq182 »

I have to vote for spacers for the physical pain, and changing orthos for the emotional distress of it. Having spacers again has reminded me how much they suck.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

cowlypso

#22 Post by cowlypso »

Hmm... Spacers were the worst as far as not being able to chew a thing for a whole week.

But after reading this thread I feel better. I've been pretty sore after my first adjustment and I was worried that I was going to be this sore after all of them. I thought maybe it was just the powerchains. But, it seems that the likely culprit is the rectangular wire that I just got installed.

Ives

#23 Post by Ives »

ok, now that ive had my braces installed, i'm changing my answer from spacers to having my bands put on. Man what an ordeal. Even after spacers my teeth were still tight so ortho had to really work to get bands in. Lots of pain there. A couple of hours later everything has calmed down a bit. Still a little tender but manageable.

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

Tin Indian

#24 Post by Tin Indian »

I would say that my first rectangular wire up top hurt the worst so far. After I told my ortho about that I had so much pain he went back to a more flexible wire and the pain has subsided.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

Nervous

#25 Post by Nervous »

The first day I was braced was the most painful, I couldn't eat a thing. A close second would be the Powerchains.

cmm1280

#26 Post by cmm1280 »

The most painful part for me so far has been the poking wire in the back of my check. I have a tilted molar so it pokes right in the mouth...killer!! :x Wax can only do so much!

**Braced 22 months and 3 weeks. Estimated 24 months treatment time.

cmm1280

#27 Post by cmm1280 »

The most painful part for me so far has been the poking wire in the back of my check. I have a tilted molar so it pokes right in the mouth...killer!! :x Wax can only do so much!

**Braced 22 months and 3 weeks. Estimated 24 months treatment time.

Ives

#28 Post by Ives »

cmm1280 wrote:The most painful part for me so far has been the poking wire in the back of my check. I have a tilted molar so it pokes right in the mouth...killer!! :x Wax can only do so much!

I feel your pain there. My banded brackets are doing a number on my cheeks. Wax helps a little.
Braced March 1st 07

PfectPitch

#29 Post by PfectPitch »

Gee, I feel kind of wimpy here because I really haven't had too much pain yet (3 days in braces) and I didn't have to have spacers since I don't have bands. However, I have bite bumpers and coming down on those is pretty bad, but I would have to say brushing my teeth is what's sending me up the wall right now. :evil: