Over 40 and Going Into Braces....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ladylee

#16 Post by ladylee »

Hi Lisa, I'm 48 and was braced for the first time November of last year. It was a bit of a shock to me, but most people think it's great that I could do it. Needed to fix my bite, so as Karen said, nice looking teeth are a bonus. Hang in there. :D Lee

Graceful58

#17 Post by Graceful58 »

Thank you all for the encouragment! It's nice to see so many of us over 40 and some close to that and beyond...wow! I look forward to hearing more from the over 40 crowd and see how you're progressing.

Have a great day!

Dr Jon Harrow

#18 Post by Dr Jon Harrow »

:) Hi graceful
42 here and my B-day is on the 12th march, my post shows i was a little shocked etc at first, but now looking forward to the start of the journey!
I hope you B journey goes well, you can certainly count on support from all friends here, keep us up to date of goings on :)
Look forward to hearing how its going
Jon XX :)

Dr Jon Harrow

#19 Post by Dr Jon Harrow »

:) Hi graceful
42 here and my B-day is on the 12th march, my post shows i was a little shocked etc at first, but now looking forward to the start of the journey!
I hope you B journey goes well, you can certainly count on support from all friends here, keep us up to date of goings on :)
Look forward to hearing how its going
Jon XX :)

JoviFan

#20 Post by JoviFan »

Hi -- I've been braced 5 weeks now -- will be 40 next month :shock: :shock: :shock: The one ortho said I could do invisaline to straighten my upper teeth, but that it wouldn't do anything for my bite, so I figured if I was spending the $$$$, I might as well do it right!!! :) Good luck with your decision! :D
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

JoviFan

#21 Post by JoviFan »

Hi -- I've been braced 5 weeks now -- will be 40 next month :shock: :shock: :shock: The one ortho said I could do invisaline to straighten my upper teeth, but that it wouldn't do anything for my bite, so I figured if I was spending the $$$$, I might as well do it right!!! :) Good luck with your decision! :D
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

ccrisis

#22 Post by ccrisis »

Hi Graceful,

I turn 44 tomorrow and will be braced on Friday (going for spacers tonight). I'm going for ceramics on top, metal on the bottom. Not as concerned about how they'll look as I would have been 10+ years ago.

gramsinbraces

#23 Post by gramsinbraces »

Hi, welcome! I'm 48 and got top braces Feb. 27th, doing great and glad I did it. I had lots of questions and doubts but come here every day and you get all the answers and doubts just seem to fade away. Lots of fun and colorful smiles here!
]

Top expander 12/2006
Top Braces Feb. 27, 2007
Top Expander removed 7/2007
Bottom expander 7/2007

gramsinbraces

#24 Post by gramsinbraces »

Hi, welcome! I'm 48 and got top braces Feb. 27th, doing great and glad I did it. I had lots of questions and doubts but come here every day and you get all the answers and doubts just seem to fade away. Lots of fun and colorful smiles here!
]

Top expander 12/2006
Top Braces Feb. 27, 2007
Top Expander removed 7/2007
Bottom expander 7/2007

Catmom

#25 Post by Catmom »

Hi, Graceful,

My b-day was December 4/06 at the ripe old age of 50!!! Part of me wishes that I'd done this as a child, but I'm mostly glad that I waited to be braced as an adult - one more thing to have fun with!!!

Dreamsmile

Got Braces

#26 Post by Dreamsmile »

four hours ago and I am 46. I am soo happy and proud of myself, after taking care of everyone else for so long. I say go for it. Put yourself first!!

jennielee81

#27 Post by jennielee81 »

I got braces when I was 42, got them off just before turning 44.

It was the BEST thing I've ever done for myself!!!

JUST DO IT!!

You will be so happy!!!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Epyx

#28 Post by Epyx »

Just turned 40, have had braces now for 8 months. I don't encounter adults with braces in my travels much - the oldest I had seen at work was early 30s.

I used to wonder what people might be thinking (before I got them), but it's one of the best decisions I ever made. My only regret is not getting them sooner. I used to put my hand in front of my mouth a lot when I smiled - I haven't done that for many months, and I won't ever do it again :)

I only really got them to close up a large gap between my front teeth. But nice straight teeth, better bite alignment, reduced overjet and improved spacing are all very welcome bonuses!

Go for it, you won't regret it.

Jembrace

#29 Post by Jembrace »

I'll turn 49 in a couple of weeks, got my metal mouth this past December. I also have bite problems, so no invisalign. I've had a bracket or two come off a few times, but otherwise things are moving right along. You're right in with the rest of us fortysomethings, might as well have fun!

Jembrace
1st wire change June 2007

~No dream is ever lost if we never cease to try~
Moody Blues

Graceful58

#30 Post by Graceful58 »

A few more weeks before I go in for the my full fledge consultation with all the xrays and models they took. I've just started my own blog and will journel it each step of the way. Check it out if you have the time.

Thank you again to the "40 Crowd", I look foward to hearing how you're all doing each step of the way.

http://bracefacemom.blogspot.com/