Elastics and sharp pain - Has this happened to anyone else?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Thathrill

#16 Post by Thathrill »

I never had any cold/hot sensitivity before braces but when things are extremely cold it is very uncomfortable to my teeth. I would follow the directions of your otho's asst. They are there to help.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

OlaLibra

#17 Post by OlaLibra »

Ok so i spoke to my dentist and orthodontist (sp?) lol they looked at a past xray from when i got my teeth cleaning done back in feb (my dentist did) and my orthodontist took a new xray and didn't see a thing no caries cavities absess (sp?) she said that it was most likely nerve trauma from the elastics so they both told me to use Sensodyne for 2 weeks and then to call them if i'm still feeling pain when drinking something cold. So far its been 3 days with the tooth paste and i haven't really tried letting anything too cold touch the tooth but when it happens i don't feel as much pain as i used to so yeah just an update :D

OlaLibra

#18 Post by OlaLibra »

thanks for the support.. :D

Chiwawamom

#19 Post by Chiwawamom »

Ok.....now I'm nervous to get my elastics..... I hope I don't have this nail shooting up the tooth feeling. YIKES!!!!!

Chiwawamom

#20 Post by Chiwawamom »

PHEW!!!! I was worried enough about the discomfort and when I read this I was like..."WHAT THE HECK" !!!!!! ??????? Im still not looking foward to getting them. I will be SO embarassed if one breaks off and goes flying into one of my clients faces. I work with the public so these elastics are going to be interesting......Are my cheeks going to get raw from them like the braces do to our lips and cheeks?

OlaLibra

#21 Post by OlaLibra »

yeah don't get me wrong the pain that came after wearing the elastics was only a minor set back...i've worn the elastics every day 24/7 and now my teeth are straight and my bite is perfect and i only need to wear the elastics at night just to keep the position so yeah even though the elastics did cause pain with 1 tooth only that was just minor to all the good work its done :D

OlaLibra

#22 Post by OlaLibra »

haha ok so after 2 weeks of using sensodyne the bottom canine stopped hurting and 3 days later the top one hurts now! i'm wondering if i should wait a week to go back on the sensodyne again or if i should just use it again for a few days?

OlaLibra

#23 Post by OlaLibra »

thanks kiwi! I guess i'll just use it once cause for the two weeks i was using it i missed my colgate toothpaste also lol thanks for the advice!

JoviFan

#24 Post by JoviFan »

I don't have elastics, well yet.....don't have my lower braces yet either...and I'm 4 months in - should learn more tomorrow at my 3 rd adjustment :) anyway, I had some shooting pain from my canine that seem to go up the side of my nose...it was horrible, it only lasted a few seconds a couple times aday, did seem more related to cold drinks... so I started using the Colgate sensitive toothpaste, and so far no more pain :)
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

OlaLibra

#25 Post by OlaLibra »

JoviFan wrote:I don't have elastics, well yet.....don't have my lower braces yet either...and I'm 4 months in - should learn more tomorrow at my 3 rd adjustment :) anyway, I had some shooting pain from my canine that seem to go up the side of my nose...it was horrible, it only lasted a few seconds a couple times aday, did seem more related to cold drinks... so I started using the Colgate sensitive toothpaste, and so far no more pain :)
colgate has a sensitive toothpaste? wow I should go find it cause sensodyne is so blah lol

JoviFan

#26 Post by JoviFan »

OlaLibra wrote:
JoviFan wrote:I don't have elastics, well yet.....don't have my lower braces yet either...and I'm 4 months in - should learn more tomorrow at my 3 rd adjustment :) anyway, I had some shooting pain from my canine that seem to go up the side of my nose...it was horrible, it only lasted a few seconds a couple times aday, did seem more related to cold drinks... so I started using the Colgate sensitive toothpaste, and so far no more pain :)
colgate has a sensitive toothpaste? wow I should go find it cause sensodyne is so blah lol
Yep - and it's in a pink foil type tube :)
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

JoviFan

#27 Post by JoviFan »

KK wrote:The colgate one is ok, but I use sensodyne whitening ... and colgates toothpaste for sensitive teeth doesn't include this.

I've been brushing once a day with sensodyne for a few years now and only have an issue with sensitivity if I do something strange like using very cold water in my waterpik. I quickly learned to use warm water only when it was being squirted on my teeth.

Good luck with all sensitivity issues! :banana:
hmmm. .. the 'pink tubed' Colgate sensitive I use says 'whitening' on it..... :?: