Spacers aren't that bad!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Clairey Fairey

#16 Post by Clairey Fairey »

The assistant cut my gums going in (put them in with pliers).
Mine went in with pilers too!!
Why can't you bite with your molars?

This is because of the spacers, pain was just getting better but now the bands have brought it back. It's getting alot better now though and chewing is becoming easier :-)

Still doing salt water rinses and wax is always good :)

KatK

#17 Post by KatK »

Glad to hear spacers aren't giving you trouble! They didn't bother me at all either - i had only 8 total - on the top only. I found maccoroni and cheese was my favorite meal when i had the spacers in! :-)
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

chicklets

Re: Spacers

#18 Post by chicklets »

3Scorpios wrote:Night before braces I had a big burger, chips, popcorn and some jelly beans! :lol: Had to get it out of my system!

Great idea, 3Scorpios. I should have made a point to do the same. Guess it's too late now. I'll have to wait until I'm done. I'll sure miss popcorn.
Palate expander: 10/10/2006 through 03/27/2007
Spacers and brackets: 03/27/2007
Archwire: 04/05/2007
First adjustment: 06/05/2007

metalchic

#19 Post by metalchic »

Oh boy--now I'm nervous about the spacers. I've been concentrating so much on having to have one baby tooth (yes baby tooth at 34) extracted tomorrow that I almost forgot I'm getting my spacers put in 2 hours prior to my surgery tomorrow. My orthodontist thought that would be a good idea, that way, if I'm in any pain from the spacers, I'll at least be "sedated" the rest of the day at the oral surgeon's office and on painkillers from the extraction.

Then I get braced on the 19th. I'm so freakn' nervous. My ortho is the coolest though. He knows I'm a chicken, he told me to bring my boyfriend and bring my iPod :-) for distractions while he is doing his thing.

Thank goodness I only need 2 spacers and they are going to be in the back. I'm told they will be put in with dental floss. :?

Ives

#20 Post by Ives »

You should be fine with just 2 spacers, you'll probably not even notice after a couple of days. Good Luck with the extraction.

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

becks

#21 Post by becks »

Yeah metalchic. 2 spacers shouldn't bother you much at all. It will feel weird and will likely make those teeth a bit sensitive but nothing you can't handle. Good luck!
Braced ~ March 13, 2007

skyclad

Deep Thoughts...

#22 Post by skyclad »

I am under the impression that April 19 is my banding appt, not my spacers appt, I take comfort *maybe false* in the fact that he did not mention spacers during the consult. He merely said to finish up my dental work and he would band me.

Now reading the posts I am starting to second guess this thought.

Some of you mention eating things you weren't supposed to the night before banding.

One of you mentioned jelly beans and popcorn. I tried eating jelly beans and it actually hurt my teeth, this is before the extractions. I hate popcorn so that wont even be an issue.

One of my co-workers was talking about the snickers eggs, I commented that I hate those, and my boss made some crack about I hate them because I cant have them when I have braces, i said nah, I never liked snicker bars. I am a 3 musketeers girl.
I thought this was funny but I may be alone. That's ok. My not liking popcorn just leaves more for the rest of you....and if you promise to save all of your black jellybeans for me were straight. :D
When you win, nothing hurts....Joe Namath

metalchic

ouch....

#23 Post by metalchic »

Ok, I was fine with the spacers until I read this darn thread about the pliers and the pain because my treatment coordinator showed me a little video with them going in with floss. Then I show up at the ortho's office and the nasty evil assistant who was going to put the spacers in had PLIERS sitting there and I FREAKED out. Thanks........ She was a nasty woman with a nasty no bedside manner. Nothing like me nice ortho. She did show my boyfriend how to put them in should I lose one. How am I going to lose one, she put these things in so tight.....Now my question (after all of this whining) is WHAT CAN I EAT? This is day 3 and I am SICK of yogurt and pudding and soup. I need some food please. I also had a baby tooth extracted on the other side so I feel helpless......WAAAA. :cry:

Clairey Fairey

#24 Post by Clairey Fairey »

This thread wasn't supposed to freak peope out!! It was meant to do the opposite!! oh well...

Just think, a few days of pain and then they're gone. If you can cope with an extraction you can cope with spacers surely?? I found the extraction pain 10x worse than the spacers. The pain should subside after a few days, then eat most of what you usually eat, just mush it up a bit or cut it into little pieces.

I took my boyfriend with me too, when I had an extraction!! Good thing I did coz I fainted and didn't dare drive home!! He doesn't come to the orthos coz it's not as scary as the dentist!!

I have a fear of extractions!! They have got to be the worst part of any dental treatment!!

metalchic

#25 Post by metalchic »

It's ok...I'm a chicken when it comes to dentists which is why I am 34 getting braces when I should have had them as a child :D

The extraction was no big deal because they knocked me completely out for it (sleepytime)!!!

I will be ready for the 19th....valium, iPod, and boyfriend in tow.....ready for my ortho :D

Clairey Fairey

#26 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Same here, well I needed to have that tooth extracted for years. It was healthy but was in the wrong position and was completely out of line with the others and looked hideous!!

I finally got the courage to have it out and have my teeth straightend! I'm so glad now that it's gone, even after the embarasment of fainting!!

Good look at the orthos, honestly it's nothing compared to dentist work!!

metalchic

#27 Post by metalchic »

I am fearful of the "unknown" that awaits me when I go to get these spacers off on the 19th, get banded and get braced that day. I think that's what is bothering me the most, the unknown. I'll just do as much research here before I go. My ortho promised he doesn't do anything that hurts (like the dentist does)--- :) We'll see! :P

Right now I'm just dealing with these darn spacers crowding my bottom front teeth :ouch: Extraction site is fine. :HugeGrin:

Clairey Fairey

#28 Post by Clairey Fairey »

You don't feel the spacers come out and having the brace on doesn't hurt. The only but of pain you may get is putting the bands around your molars as they are already sore after the spacers, but that pain is bearable. The dentist injection is a lot worse!!

I know what u mean though, it's the unknown, but usually if your dreading something is doesn't turn out as bad as you think!! Good Luck!

So far orthodontist has been way less scary and painful than the dentist!!