I hardly even need braces! (pic)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lisaemtp

#16 Post by lisaemtp »

Treatment time varies for everyone - ask your orthodontist what they predict. Remember also that your treatment time depends on you following instructions - brushing, flossing, wearing elastics as prescribed, etc.

This board is full of adults who wish they had had the opportunity you have now - and who are fully paying for it themselves since (in many areas) orthodontic benefits disappear once your are 18 or 21. The appearance of your smile is not the only reason for braces, your bite is a major factor. Bite problems you don't notice now will cause excessive wear and tear on your teeth, leading to needing root canals, crowns, and dentures much earlier in life than usual. I am 25 years old and if I left my teeth alone, I would have been looking at root canals in most of my molars within ten years. (Which cost $1000+ US each - besides the pain, that alone justifies the cost of braces!)

I wish my parents had made my dental health a priority when I was a teenager. I know the braces are uncomfortable, but that will pass. After four months in my teeth are all straight (just waiting to fix a crossbite) and I forget I have braces on at all, except for a few days after an adjustment.

I can't tell you that you'll appreciate this someday or that you'll regret it if you have them removed. However, the teeth you have now aren't the teeth you'll have in ten years. As your wisdom teeth grow in, or if you clench/grind your teeth, or a number of other things...your bite and the appearance of your teeth will change (and usually not for the better). This often makes orthodontic treatment much more difficult (as does the fact that teeth are often harder to move as you get older). If you have your teeth corrected now (and wear your retainer as prescribed), you can prevent or minimize any changes later in life. Unhealthy teeth and gums have now been related to heart disease, endocarditis, and valve failure - its not just about your mouth!

Braces are frustrating. There are times where we all give them a second thought. That's why this board is so great - we all support each other through the hard times, and celebrate each change and step forward. There are many people here who could tell you that they were going to change their mind, and were supported through it by the other people here and now have beautiful smiles and are greatful they stuck with it. What you do is ultimately between you and your parents and we are more than happy to welcome you to the board and support you while you go through your time in braces - but please respect the other board members and their experiences and understand that there is a lot of emotion invested here.

How old are you, and how long have you had your braces? There is definitely an adjustment period, which I'm sure is longer if this wasn't something you wanted to begin with. One person here who wanted her braces off was told by her ortho to give it two adjustments (two+ months) and then they would talk. By two months, she had seen great progress and was really glad she stuck with it. This is a great thing your parents (and you) are doing for your teeth, and I hope you give it some serious consideration and stick with it. Best of luck to you.

Lisa

SDFD TSchott

#17 Post by SDFD TSchott »

After reviewing the case here, I have to say that I don't agree. Some people think they have perfect teeth and don't need braces i.e. myself turns out that even with a slight crowding or misalignment of teeth can lead to some medical issues later down the road.

I prefer to look stupid if thats the case but I don't so I'm glad I got braces and that I'm going through with the treatment. I rather prefer have healthy teeth then have teeth that are misaligned for the rest of my life. I don't care what others think about me and my braces. I like the fact that I'm doing something for my health and for myself.

Continue with the treatment you will be happy at the end of your treatment that you completed things even if it takes more then 2 years to fix problems.

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

becks

#18 Post by becks »

How unfortunate. When you say "free" you do realize that at some level someone is actually paying for your treatment. What bothers me is that you will have to keep these on your teeth for likely 12+ months, probably won't take care of them properly, probably won't wear your retainer(s) as instructed, and in a few years you'll be back in the dental chair repairing the damage done to your teeth. So you are wasting someone's money and that's a shame, especially when there are likely a lot of teens your age who want or need the braces you have. Whether you'll believe it or not, at your young age you dont know everything. Listen to your parents and take care of your teeth. Good luck!

timsmith

#19 Post by timsmith »

Don't bet on it, the invisible magic solution. Invisalign was supposed to me that but the majority of cases are still treated with more visible braces. I don't know how old you are but I am 48 and I had mine fitted less than 2 weeks ago. It's costing me $7100 Canadian and my insurance only covers the first $2500, if I had been lucky in the UK when I was 10 or 12, it would have been free.

I don't get the embarrasment thing, 20 or 30 years ago, yes, now it is not an issue, it's almost as if you don't have braces, why not?

Believe me, I have not been happy with my teeth for most of my life, I am doing this now for headache reasons but I will be very happy with nice teeth as a result. You have your whole life ahead of you, make this investment now, it will be much more painful later when you add regret to the cost.

Just my 2 cents,

Good luck with your decision.

Clarity ceramic uppers, In Ovation metal lowers, 18 by 25 archwires and powerchain on top front 4

Lisa65

#20 Post by Lisa65 »

When you say "free" you do realize that at some level someone is actually paying for your treatment. What bothers me is that you will have to keep these on your teeth for likely 12+ months, probably won't take care of them properly, probably won't wear your retainer(s) as instructed, and in a few years you'll be back in the dental chair repairing the damage done to your teeth. So you are wasting someone's money and that's a shame,
Word, Becks. EazyE, the money for your treatment is probably coming either from your parents' medical insurance, or it's coming from government-funded healthcare. Either way it sure ain't free.

And as for invisible solutions to wonky teeth, they are available now. You can get Invisalign or lingual braces that fit on the insides of the teeth. But they are just as uncomfortable as regular braces, and they cost more. Braces move your teeth through the bone, breaking that bone down and remodelling new bone as they go. You can't do that without "some" discomfort. There's never going to be a magic wand which will give you straight teeth overnight without any pain or embarrassment.

Ultimately it's a matter for you to talk through with your parents, and I guess the final decision is yours alone to make as nobody can force you to stay in braces. But I hope we have at least given you something to think about. There are all kinds of factors to consider apart from your own discomfort and/or embarrassment. Part of being an adult is being able to see the bigger picture and make informed choices, rather than doing everything on impulse.

Good luck with your decision.

EazyE

#21 Post by EazyE »

Its costing the government. But i dont care, i think all health related problems should be fixed for free anyway.
I might have the bottom brace taken off. If i follow the rules perfectly how long should i be in braces?

onedayperfect

#22 Post by onedayperfect »

Nothing in life is free. Work an average 45 hour week, full of stress, then pass comment on what should be free. People who work hard, paying lots of taxes are giving you a great opportunity. Ignorance is not the best personal trait to have.

EazyE

#23 Post by EazyE »

onedayperfect wrote:Nothing in life is free. Work an average 45 hour week, full of stress, then pass comment on what should be free. People who work hard, paying lots of taxes are giving you a great opportunity. Ignorance is not the best personal trait to have.
Well then thats your fault for getting a job which makes you stressed.
The government can afford free health care for everyone, but they would rather spend billions on weapons and equipment for the soldiers in Iraq.
Thats how messed up things are, so it should be free for everyone. But thats my opinion.

onedayperfect

#24 Post by onedayperfect »

I hope your teeth fall out :roll:

EazyE

#25 Post by EazyE »

onedayperfect wrote:I hope your teeth fall out :roll:
I hope you die from stress :roll:

alexa

#26 Post by alexa »

Look it's real easy. If you don't want braces, have them taken off. Don't come asking us for opinions when all you're going to do is tell us that you don't need them. It's obvious you know more than an orthodontist, so why ask us?

All of us here are in braces because we want to be, or recognize we need to be, so no one is going to go, "Yeah, super! You're totally right! Braces suck! Get them taken off, your parents are L4M3 for pushing you into it!" If that's what you're looking for, you're barking up the wrong tree.

I apologize in advance for being so snarky, and I promise to not make a regular habit of it, but jeez. I know I'm only in my mid-20s, but I already realize what a stupid decision it was on my part to not have braces as a teen. I would've rather looked a little dorky for a couple of years than have to pay for all of this stuff now out of my own pocket. If the government was footing the bill for my dental improvements I'd shut my mouth and be thankful.

*snarky rant over...as you were....*
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

onedayperfect

#27 Post by onedayperfect »

Exactly, its so annoying when people complain. Here we all are forking out thousands to improve our health. If we where all offered it on a plate in our teens, i am sure lots of members would of took it. But as it stands it didnt happen for a number of reasons. Really annoys me when people dont have any appreciation of chances they have been given.

EazyE

#28 Post by EazyE »

I just dont knoe if its worth it, are my teeth that bad?

onedayperfect

#29 Post by onedayperfect »

Its 100% worth it mate. You wont have 1 single regret.

SimInsomniac

#30 Post by SimInsomniac »

EazyE wrote:I just dont knoe if its worth it, are my teeth that bad?
If you treat your teeth well during and after treatment, you'll look at your teeth in a couple of years when they're done and wonder why you ever questioned this.
I am in the same financial position as you and probably about the same age so I can see where you are coming from, but it seriously it is one of, if not the best decision I've made in my life, completely worth the discomfort and hating them at the start.

Sim
Damon 3 braces for 22.5 months.
30th August 2005 - 13th July 2007