If you're bruxing (clenching and grinding), do you know it?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

njbeachbetty

#16 Post by njbeachbetty »

My fiance grinds his teeth - he had done so much damage before I met him that his canines have no points on them at all! I told him he was grinding, otherwise he would have never known.

JadeBlue

Yikes...thanks everyone!

#17 Post by JadeBlue »

I appreciate all the responses. You helped snap me out of denial! I now admit that I probably DO grind my teeth. :oops: (You think that explains the chronic headaches and neck pain?!)

I'll keep wearing the nightguard, and I'll hope that having my horrendous bite corrected will help solve the problem. (I still believe that I grind, not so much from stress, but because I can't find a comfortable resting place for my jaw. During the day, I notice that I constantly bite down on my tongue to cushion the uncomfortable alignment of my teeth.) :roll:

This group is so helpful! Bruxers unite! :wink:

-JadeBlue

Ives

#18 Post by Ives »

I have been a clencher and grinder for a long time though I didn't realize it till a couple of years ago. I have seen many different docs for chronic headaches ( bad enough I would miss work ). And no one could figure it out. Just pumped me full of pain pills and sent me home. When I pursued braces my ortho checked for TMJ problems and had me wear an appliance for about a year and a half. What a difference that made, headaches all but disappeared, jaw pain tottally gone. So to answer your last question, yes clenching can cause other side effects, including headaches. Good luck to you. Sometimes people do not understand what a chronic headache can do to you.

Ives
Braced March 1st 07