Why did you choose the METHOD you chose ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Carolinahigh12

#16 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

Some people that I have spoken with werent very happy with invisilgn and they ended up getting traditional braces.
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

bracesafter40

#17 Post by bracesafter40 »

Yes Meryaten, my dentist is quite cool; the cost difference is actually $800. She also knows that she is my dentist so I will always come to visit her anyways.

Well, I think she thought it could be, but in the end it could not. I am sure she would have seen that after doing more analysis.

Invisalign or ceramic were never entertained as options by my Ortho.
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

fitchick

#18 Post by fitchick »

I wanted Invisalign to avoid people seeing me in the visible braces but I wasn't a candidate for them either. Now I have metal lowers and ceramic uppers and I get disappointed when no-one notices them!! I am more than happy with my ortho's recommendation.
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

invisagirl

#19 Post by invisagirl »

Well I went the Invisalign route but ended up with the traditional metal braces. I went to a premium provider who said that although my case would be more complex and could last two years I was definetly a candidate. He even told me it would be harder if I went the tradtional braces route and would need jaw surgery, etc. After two and a half years of Invisalign is was obvious to me that it wasn't going to give me the results I wanted. So I switched orthos and went the traditional route (didn't need jaw surgery). Had the metal braces for ~19 months (they come off on Monday) so doing Invisalign and braces took 4.5 years. Had I just gone the metal route in the beginning (with a different ortho) I could of been done in two years. Live and learn.

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

SnowSara

#20 Post by SnowSara »

At my first consultation I asked about both, but was already prepared to get traditional braces. My ortho, who participated in the first study case for invisalign in the US, said that in my case I would be much happier with the results of traditional braces. That was fine with me. The only choice I got to make was metal vs ceramic. (I went with ceramic, but wish I had just done all metal - I now like the look of my braces and am not trying to hide them.)

However, I have a bit of a hybrid:
My ortho did use OrthoCAD, which allows him to use 3D models to "move" my teeth before ever putting my braces on. He can then use it to figure out where my brackets need to go on each tooth so he doesn't have to take them off and adjust them by hand later. The brackets were placed on all at once by a mold made specifically for me. Invisalign uses a similar program to create their trays, but this will do an even better job than other traditional braces as there are fewer adjustments to be made and therefore less time in braces. I dunno, he's going to be doing a lecture on orthoCAD in the future, so I guess I'm part of his study (lots of photos taken of my teeth along the way!). I'm into techy stuff like this, so I asked to see the program on his computer, I got to see how my teeth are going to look when they're done and I didn't even recognize my mouth when he pulled up my file! So excited!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.