If i could go back in time...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lisa65

#16 Post by Lisa65 »

We do not get to choose our looks. Some of us are more "good looking" than others, I suppose. I don't agree that metal braces make a good looking person ugly.

Personally I'd rather be average looking. At least then I'm not bothered by vanity or the worry of losing my "looks" and can enjoy wearing my metal braces without that added burden.

Anticipator

#17 Post by Anticipator »

I just said my opinion :D
If you are a good looking person, a set of metal brackets in your mouth will make you look bad. I don't know what is the situation if you are not good looking, though.
I disagree. I think that a lot of it depends on the person and how they carry themselves. Braces can be cute or awkward depending not just on the viewer but on the patient themselves.

I'm sure there're people who view me as less attractive because I have braces, hopefully there are also people who view me as attractive with them on. Seeing as how my teeth are in much more aesthetic positions than before I started treatment I don't think that's too far of a stretch.

Anyway, I'm still satisfied with my choice, I'm sorry you're not.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

HighandLo

#18 Post by HighandLo »

19BraceFace,

Just another opinion to weigh in on your dilemna between ceramic and metal. I have ceramics on the top and metal ont he bottom. Most people don't notice that I have braces. From a few feet away, you can't see them at all. I have pearl ligatures now and they don't stain. Of course, they're changed every 4 weeks. I used to have clear ligs and they did discolor a bit - especially after Italian food!

I have been told that I look younger (I'm 47 and older than a lot of you and braced for the second time), but for me, it was a question of how obvious I wanted to be with my braces. It's great that some people have fun with their braces and choose colored ligs. I think metal or ceramic, I'm proud of anyone who has the confidence to choose to fix their bite to keep their teeth healthy and have a smile they are happy with.

Best of Luck!

Lo

Way Too Old For This

#19 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I care NOT what people think of how I look with braces. I don't really care what anyone else thinks about my orthodontic treatment. I have had some nice encouraging comments from people telling me they think I am brave to go through it, or comments to that nature. I have had a couple people voice their opinion that they think I am crazy....but like I say. I care NOT !

Not only do I not care what people think about my braces, I don't really care what they think about my looks in general. I guess you can all tell I don't spend much time on my appearance. Too much living to do to miss it in the bathroom putting on make-up !

I have metal brackets because that is what my orthodontist recommended. I trust him completely.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.