Molds and a terrible gag reflex!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

danz23

#16 Post by danz23 »

The first time my dentist did molds for my removable appliance it was the worst appointment I'd ever had- I hated it. I kept gagging, it was pretty embarrassing. He said he's never had anyone throw up on him yet and luckily I didnt! He had trouble finding a tray small enough to go in my mouth, and I think the assisstant wasn't helping matters cause she was putting way to much molding stuff on the tray. Plus she wasn't the nicest person so I think that also made it harder. After heaps of trys my dentist got a mold which he thought would be good enough. But it wasn't. The next time I came in I was thinking I'd be getting my appliance but instead had to do molds again! It was funny though, I only gagged a couple of times and we got a perfect one fist time! I think it was the different tray that was used plus there was no assisstant there, just my dentist and he was able to calm me down really well. So, I am preparing myself for new molds soon, I dont know exactly when but shouldnt be far off! Wondering if molds will be harder than actually getting the braces on? I wont get to experience that for a while but I imagine having the strong gag reflex will make it harder?

Way Too Old For This

#17 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Thanks for all the tips. I too have a low gag threshold. I still can't use that tongue scraper thing without gagging.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

ohmyjaw

#18 Post by ohmyjaw »

I think the molds get easier with time. i have had many sets done in my 2 rounds of braces and I am much better than I used to be, but I still gag once in a while. I have a really small mouth, and that doesn't help!

CindieMarie

molds

#19 Post by CindieMarie »

Weird...with my new ortho he didn't do molds, in the beginning. I am going to get my braces on in two days. I did however have a mold done at the local dental school. What is the reason for the mold in the beginning anyway??? I am wondering why he isn't doing one? :shock:

Tasha0313

#20 Post by Tasha0313 »

I have a terrible gag reflex myself. I had the molds done when I got my braces on and I don't remember it being too bad. HOWEVER, when they made my mold for my retainer it was pretty bad. The bottom mold is okay, it's the top mold that's the kicker. But the tech that was able to do it well told me to sit up and hold my head down so that the mold would drip more to the front of my mouth. She also told me to hold my right leg up & wiggle my toes. That took my mind off of everything adn after that I was fine, but it was getting someone who actually KNEW what they were doing to calm me down!

Rickysa

#21 Post by Rickysa »

A gag reflex is a good thing!! :D Mother natures way of protecting the ol' windpide and other plumbing.

One thing we do with patients that mention bad gag reflexes is to take the "threating" part of it away....take a tray and you (the patient) slowly places in the mouth little by little...do it over and over until the body feels that it is a normal process and nothing bad is going to happen.

Then add a little alginate, and try it again...works pretty well :D

Dr. S
-Grad of UNC Ortho '92 (research centered around ceramic brackets)

Meloho

#22 Post by Meloho »

My OS had a trick for helping get the impression off bracketed teeth more easily - at his office they give the alginate a quick spray with Pam before putting the tray into your mouth. It's ... interesting :? It certainly helps those impressions to come off more easily, but blimey, did it ever taste like rancid butter :shock:
I can't believe they would to impressions of bracketed teeth...My Gosh, I hope they don't do that for me. It's yucky enough to get the mold off bare teeth, let alone off bracketed ones. Eww!

I used to panic and gag w/ the impressions initially, but I've had so many that I guess I got used to it. They did one last week for my top teeth and it was fine. The stuff tasted good at first, but as it sets, it tasted really gross, but gagging wasn't an issue.

breda206

#23 Post by breda206 »

I remember getting moulds done when I was 12 and it was pretty uncomfortable. I was getting it done on the medical card (the state pays for orthodontic treatment for children under 16 in Ireland) and it was my dentist who was doing it, so he was pretty old school. I remember it taking so long and it was uncomfortable.

I got my moulds done on the 29th of May (last week) and they didn't ask if I wanted any flavour or anything ( I was pretty disappointed as I had read about flavours on this forum), anyhow, the bottom jaw was ok because I remembered to breathe through my nose. And then the top jaw, it was actually very funny. She stuck the tray back my mouth and I made a little noise and the nurse said "it's ok, just tilt your head forward if it feels uncomfortable", so I did.

Not thinking what consequence this action would have....
I started to drool out the left side of my mouth and I was squirming looking for that tissue I had and the nurse thought it was the mould that was bothering me. I just couldn't handle the stream of drool coming out my mouth. :oops: I couldn't tell her obviously as I had the tray back my mouth so she started to comfort me, "It'll be ok, you're nearly there now"

I didn't have the heart to tell her when the tray was out that it was just the drool that was bothering me. Anyway to make a long story even longer, the moulds didn't take half the time to set as I remember they did when I was 12, maybe it's just my memory, I don't know.

danz23

#24 Post by danz23 »

They set quick allright, the first time I had it done they got the mixture wrong and it was setting before they even got the tray in the right position! It so helps when the assistant is a good one ( both skilled and sympathetic). But, like I said before I did better when it was just my dentist doing the molds probably cause I didnt like the assisstant i'd had the last time!

Laurie

#25 Post by Laurie »

I was told by one of the techs in my ortho's office that the flavoring oil they uses can cause a greater chance of bubbles in the mold which increases your chance of having to redo a mold. SO... that's why my ortho's office doesn't use flavors. That being said I don't know if I'd really want a flavor in that stuff. I think I'm ok with it being plain. Plus they use cold water so it's cold going in your mouth. I think that helps with ye ole gag reflex too.

My first set I ever had done I was JUST getting over the worst stomach bug and I was still quite queasy. Boy, that was interesting! LOL!Image