Braces for my girfriend

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jenfire

#16 Post by jenfire »

They are her teeth and therefore her decision. I would encourage you to be supportive of her whether she gets the braces or not. There are many factors that affect her decision and sometimes it just isn't the right time. Underlying her talk of "looking young," maybe she is worried about covering the cost (orthodontics can be fairly expensive) or concerned about the possibility of pain (I have felt pain from my expander, and at times it was extremely painful straightening my lower teeth) or fear of the unknown (in which case, ArchWired.com may help).

I'd just let her decide at her own pace what is best for her. Maybe she will decide to do some ortho consults and it will demystify the process and she'll take the leap. :)
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

LadyTr0uble

#17 Post by LadyTr0uble »

Bmoe: If you are looking to encourage her and be supportive, you are doing it: you are doing research for her. Just keep on being your sweet- self and let her know that no matter what the case is, you'll be there for her.

The looking young thing might also be an extension of not looking attractive to you after she's braced. I was worreied myself, but with some assurance from the bf, and some sweet gestures, it no longer bothers me.

This site is def. a great reference point. Good luck!

Carolinahigh12

#18 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

IMO- the best thing that you can do for you girlfriend is to go with her for her consult with the ortho and be supportive. Just let her know whatever she chooses to do that you would be by her 100%.

And on the day before she is braced, take her to her favorite resturant :) .
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

SnowSara

#19 Post by SnowSara »

Wait - a woman doesn't want to look like she's in her teens again?? ;)
I think it's one of the pluses of braces.

OK-
I almost backed out of braces a few times if it weren't for the support of my boyfriend. And you know what he kept telling me that finally encouraged me to do it? That no one else cares. He reminded me of my friends that had braces and how I didn't even notice when they had gotten them off. It's a big deal to me, but sorry, NO ONE ELSE CARES. He was right, after the first couple of days people get used to seeing you in them and they don't really notice. Also, he said that seeing me in braces wouldn't bother him at all, in fact it might be cute. And when I got them on he was right!

Best of luck for you both!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Bmoe

Braces for my girfriend

#20 Post by Bmoe »

All you guy (and girls) are great :BigTeethGrin:
Ieven told her that if it would do it again myself!!

pumpkinpatch

#21 Post by pumpkinpatch »

I think it's awesome that you're so supportive. That's the best thing you can do for your girlfriend. My boyfriend is so sweet and really supportive, too. He tells me it will look cute! So when I get braces, I know that he will be there for me no matter what. I'm actually looking forward to it! Just the fact that you're going on here to get everyone's advice shows how much you care about her. Good luck to you two!

yaya2023

#22 Post by yaya2023 »

hey BMOE... I'm having the same thing with my BF... he needs braces b/c his canines are both twisted outward... He's been getting crap from his mom for YEARS to get braces... (she manages a dental office). He always said no. Now I'm two weeks into braces and he is going to get his x-rays done next month (if he doesnt back out). After I got braced and wasnt a wuss bout it he figured if I can handle it so can he... I think its just an insecurity... keep encouraging her hopefully she will come around. Also assure her that you dont want the cosmetic part of braces for her (even ifyou do) but remind her of the health benifits.

Bmoe

Braces for my girfriend

#23 Post by Bmoe »

Man... all of the great advice is paying off. :D. I told her to check out this GREAT web sight call Archwired .com and that all her questions about braces would get answered. The only thing is,I am not sure if she checked it out yet. :? I guess I will have to keep everybody posted.

You all are great,
Bmoe

Thathrill

#24 Post by Thathrill »

hopefully she would come around and check out things.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

Bmoe

Braces for my girfriend

#25 Post by Bmoe »

Hey everyone,

I have some great news....! After finally reading through the forum, she decided to get braces. :jump: Oh, one more thing, now she can't decide to go with clear ceramic or the lingual. What should I tell her.
Last edited by Bmoe on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScottR

#26 Post by ScottR »

I believe there is more discomfort with lingual braces and it's harder to speak clearly. Ceramics are usually cheaper too. Having said that, I'm no expert but I'm sure we will hear from some soon. :D

chicklets

#27 Post by chicklets »

That's great, Bmoe. Once your girlfriend has a couple of consultations and asks a bunch of questions, she'll be able to make her decision about which type is best for her.

As far as looking youger, I'm 43, and if my braces make me look younger, I think I'll keep them longer than I need them. :wink:
Palate expander: 10/10/2006 through 03/27/2007
Spacers and brackets: 03/27/2007
Archwire: 04/05/2007
First adjustment: 06/05/2007

Bmoe

Braces for my girfriend

#28 Post by Bmoe »

Hi guys,

I have great news!! My girlfriend had her first con today, and she told me that the othodontist was very nice and that she was very excited to learn about getting braces. As of right now she is going the clear ceramic braces. She has one more con tomorrow.

Once again, we want to say thanks for all the great advice 8)

SnowSara

#29 Post by SnowSara »

That's great! She's going to be so happy she did it when it's all said and done. Next step for you - being supportive though any pain she might have in the beginning and treating her to some ice cream on brace day! Haha! Oh, and watch out if you make microwave popcorn while she's there. :twisted: MY boyfriend asks politely if he "may" make popcorn because he knows the smell KILLS me!! Oh so buttery!!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.