oh my oh my - fully braced...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braves123

#16 Post by braves123 »

wouldnt know anything about big,bulky braces.I have the speed system braces and they are SOOO tiny. Good luck

Dreamer

#17 Post by Dreamer »

Hang in there Anneke! I too have the metal braces top and bottom and when I first got them they felt absolutely HUGE! You will soon be able to comfortably close your lips over them and hardly even know they are there! Also what color ligs you choose will help with if they stand out or not. If you want to tone things down ask them to put on the darkest grey ligs and then nothing feels nearly as bright.
Congratulations on getting braced! Someday very soon you will be so thrilled you finally have them!
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

anneke

#18 Post by anneke »

Thanks for all the words of support, the braces still look shocking today, but somehow I can't stop looking in the mirror. I notice that most of you have gone for ceramic uppers. Would it be really stupid to have the top metals removed and switch to ceramic uppers? I thought they were going to be too bulky, but now that I have got these huge metal ones in my mouth, I don't think it will make a lot of difference. Or is there a specific kind of metals ones that are small????
One (rather) good thing is that the pain seems to be ok so far, as long as I stick to soft foods. That's something at least...
will try to take some pics soon, but I feel too selfconsious about the whole thing for now

Vyse

#19 Post by Vyse »

is it not possible to ask the dentist to use small gauge wires?

Dreamer

#20 Post by Dreamer »

I'm sure you could switch to whatever clear brand your orthodontist uses but I'm guessing they will charge you more to redo it and usually the clear ones cost a bit more anyway. There are smaller metal ones depending on the type used but there may be a particular reason your orthodontist wants you in the larger metal ones. Some believe they work faster than the clear ones because they are stronger.
Another thought: try to learn to be proud of having your braces..wear them as your badge of courage for wanting to improve yourself. I really think in another week you will see that they do not feel that big! :)
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

chicklets

#21 Post by chicklets »

Hang in there, Anneke. It gets better very quickly. The initial shock of all that bulky metal will soon fade, and I promise you'll hardly notice them.

I'm 43 so I understand feeling self-conscious about it. I've only been fully braced, all metal, for 2 months, but within days I can tell you I actually started smiling more than before. I'm so glad I took the plunge at my age, and unless I'm thinking about it, I don't even notice the braces are there!
Palate expander: 10/10/2006 through 03/27/2007
Spacers and brackets: 03/27/2007
Archwire: 04/05/2007
First adjustment: 06/05/2007

Zondrae

#22 Post by Zondrae »

Congrats on starting your journey! I think we all feel a bit like this when we first get our "equipment" put on. But honestly, we notice it more than anyone else ever does.

I'd wait to see if you settle in to full metal as some ceramics are actually bigger than metal. I know mine are. If I had it to do over knowing what I know now I'd go full metal this time.

Keep smiling! :D

mindykatz

#23 Post by mindykatz »

Vyse: the ortho will use the appropriate gauge wire that he needs to move your teeth how he wants. If he only used small gauge, your teeth would never get fully fixed...or it would take like a really really long time!

anneke: it will get better - I'm only 1 day in and I still feel about 70% unsure about what I just did to myself! I have full metal braces too. But I keep telling myself it will be worth it. Maybe you can look at some before and after pics in the "Our Braces Stories" section of this forum for some inspiration!

You will also notice very quickly that if people do notice your braces and ask about them, they are asking out of interest and curiosity - not because they think its weird or they're trying to be mean. People will also love talking to you about when they had braces as a teenager! It's really not that bad.

Good luck! You'll be ok! :D

red indian

i felt exactly the same!

#24 Post by red indian »

I fully empathize. i got braces two weeks ago and when I first saw how I looked I wanted to cry. I was reminded of the story of the mosquito who got so greedy that he kep sucking blood and got stuck in a mosquito net! I dont look bad, and I felt that I just got greedy with wanting to look better....

Two weeks later, I honestly feel they look okay. actually not bad at all...Strange!

SnowSara

#25 Post by SnowSara »

You really do get used to it, and as far as how others react to you, it's all about what you're putting out there. Keep smiling, this is such a wonderful thing to do for yourself. I love my metal brackets, and I hope that you can eventually find it in yourself to love yours as well :)

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Vyse

#26 Post by Vyse »

sorry i dont mean to say the gauge of wire, i meant the lumps of metal that are stuck to the teeth. What are they called again, carnt they be smaller?

peach

New Smile

#27 Post by peach »

Anneke, I also just got a full set of braces on June 4th. The first day I wasn't sure what to think. I got the ceramic set on the top and metal on the bottoms. I was a little shocked at the sight of my braced teeth. I think it was the sight of that archwire with my crooked teeth and the feeling that my lips were getting stuck on my upper braces. When I got home, my husband reassured me that they looked good but I still felt self conscious. It was only after I started to feel embarrassed when I thought my cat was staring at my braces, that I knew I was way too paranoid about my looks and that this was all in my head! :lol: After about 2 days of adjusting to the look and getting use to the feeling of them, I'm much more comfortable with it. Just remember, if you didn't do this now then you would have been wondering about what could have been if you had gotten braces. Hang in there and give your self time to adjust to the new you. In a few weeks, when you see some improvements, you'll know this was all worth it.

anneke

#28 Post by anneke »

thanks to all of you... and I guess you are right. I am trying to be positive, so I might just stick it out until the end of the month. if I still feel as strongly about it then as I do now, I'll talk to my ortho, but for now i'll just be brave and try to get used to all the shiny metal.
And it is true - I am happy that I am braced, I wouldn't want to go back to no braces at all, because then I'll never be fully happy with my teeth.
Thanks and I'll let you guys know how I'm doing soon...
The pain is starting to kick in now, but still not too bad really...

Naduah82

Re: oh my oh my - fully braced...

#29 Post by Naduah82 »

I gotta tell you...I felt the exact same way as you do when I got my braces put on. When I got my top ones put on, no archwire yet she let me get up and rinse out my mouth, I was in shock when I looked in the mirror. I have Damon 3's and the doors were all open on the brackets lol. Just try to remember why you got braces, and when this is all over you will be happy you did it. :wink: Also you should get used to them pretty soon, for me it was after the 1st week I wasn't afraid to open my mouth in front of ppl anymore. Eventually your braces will become a part of you and you'll love them. :-#) Also it's pretty fun to watch all the progress, take plenty of pics. :wink: