Did any of you refuse IPR (slenderizing) ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kat

#16 Post by Kat »

Hmm, the orthos do it or the regular dentsts do the proceedure?
When you say wiser at the top and narrow at the bace I'm thinking triangle as in the one point at the top as looking at the mouth and the two points at the bottom, correct?

Kat

#17 Post by Kat »

Anyon have any up close pics of before and after?

Clairey Fairey

#18 Post by Clairey Fairey »

'I don't want to end up with perfectly straight-sided narrow teeth'

I've never thought of it like that before! I have quite wide rectangular teeth and definately don't want them to become really narrow!

I'm having my done in a couple of months, I think its only half mm off each tooth so it should be fine.

I suppose you've just got to think of what the alternative will be which will more than likely be removal of healthy teeth and ending up with too much space in your mouth.

Your ortho should know what they're doing and should consider how you will look after, before going ahead with the proceedure.

Lisa65

#19 Post by Lisa65 »

My ortho said that if I needed IPR, he would do it at the back where the teeth don't really show. We're hoping I won't need it, but if it turns out that I don't have quite enough space, he said he can get me another couple of mm by shaving the back teeth a bit.
I have quite big square front teeth, as it turns out. I'd never seen them properly before, and I like them too much to have bits shaved off.

Miss Smiley

#20 Post by Miss Smiley »

I don't think that IPR would grind your teeth down to half its width. I had some done on the lower centrals, it felt weird but no biggie. Considering the fact that I have some huge uppers, it doesn't look bad. Well my teeth are also moving around still, but you can't even tell.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

SandraJones

#21 Post by SandraJones »

I would feel more comfortable if my orthodontist uses the manual band method, instead of using any motorized device. :?
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

Miss Smiley

#22 Post by Miss Smiley »

Oh mine did it by hand with the strip that looked like sandpaper... It felt awfully weird...the sound of my teeth being abrased didn't help.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

SandraJones

#23 Post by SandraJones »

If she does it that way I will feel A LOT better about it ! She'll have much better control of how much is being taken off then. Makes me want to do it myself !! :D
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

lionfish

#24 Post by lionfish »

My ortho used both the manual and motorised device to do IPR on my teeth. Quite frankly, the worst thing about the process - if you can call it bad in the first instance - was the noise. You feel nothing. If more black triangles appear and more IPR is offered, I shall sign up immediately.