Ever felt crooked teeth held you back in life (pre-braces)?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TLB in Minneapolis

#16 Post by TLB in Minneapolis »

FYI-Here is a excerpt from the Oprah show about class in America. Other areas of the world may have different indicators. TLB

Robert Reich, former Secretary of Labor for the Clinton Administration, is an expert on social policy and class in America. Robert says that a family's ability to provide their children with a quality education, health care and access to other resources determines one's class. "A lot of kids who are poor or working class are not getting the schools that they need and are not having the connections and the models of success that they need."

Robert says there are three common indicators of class: weight, teeth and dialect. In terms of appearance, people who are overweight or have poor teeth are generally regarded as lower class. The way someone talks says even more about their class. "People pay attention to dialect, to language," says Robert. "If you have the local dialect, wherever you're from, you're considered to be not as educated."

These class designators also lend themselves to their own kind of discrimination. "People speak different forms of English and there is prejudice," says Robert. "We have sexism in this country, we have racism, but we also have classism—and we are very sensitive to language."

TLB in Minneapolis

#17 Post by TLB in Minneapolis »

Interesting KK. It's nice to get another perspective on 'worldly' issues.

Miss Smiley

#18 Post by Miss Smiley »

I've never felt like I had been held back by my teeth. Even when I had a root canal on my front tooth and was too lazy to get it crowned, it discolored and was ugly. Some guys thought it was cute, others didn't notice, and the ones who did say something were j@cka$$es anyhow so it never really bothered me. BUt that tooth never stopped me from going out and having fun, dating was not an issue, I dated doctors, CEO' s, Funds traders. I was exnteded a bid from a sorority my 1st year in college from the only sorority I rushed. My 3rd year in college I was extended a bid from another and had been a part of that sorority until two years ago. My teeth were never an issue to the girls, it was about my personality and the way I carried myself. I had finally fixed my root canal treated tooth and had it crowned in fear of losing the brittle thing right after I was leaving the sorority. I always had a big smile even though my teeth weren't perfect. It wasn't because my parents couldn't afford it, I just refused it. I didn't see a necessity for getting a few kinks out. I was cheerleader in high school, I was in various student cabinet positions. I went to colllege and joined many clubs/organizations and never one negative comment about my teeth.

More recently I have learned the importance of straight teeth and good bite, it's not for looks, it's so I can keep my teeth. I am not wanting to wear some ill fitting dentures to make up for teeth I could have saved.

Jackie - You are entitled to your thoughts, but I feel bad that you have lived that way. Hopefully, you will be able to make up for that time.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

platinum

#19 Post by platinum »

Ever felt crooked teeth held you back in life (pre-braces)?
No, although my teeth weren't that crooked...
In Finland people children with very bad bite issues got treatment for free. The rest had to pay. Actually, if you have perfect teeth at age 40-> people quite easily think you have dentures. I met a bunch of people from Finland who were in USA for a business. They laughed at a man, who has lived in USA fro a while, because he has had his teeth straightened (with crowns and laminates). It looked vain to them.

Clairey Fairey

#20 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Here in the UK its not about money at all. Most teenagers under 19 and in full time education will get their braces for free on the NHS.

The reason I chose not to is because I was bullied so badly at school, that I was scared that braces would make it even worse.

I suppose people (like me) who are older and have ceramic braces may be seen as being rich because ceramic braces are only avaliable if you go private and are quite expensive, same with any braces for adults (unless the case is severe when they may qualify for nhs). However I'm certainly not rich and spend most of my monthly wage struggling to pay for the treatment.

I suppose this post is really just to point out that its not all about money or class, its also about the way people feel about themselves that can hold them back. You can't help it if you have confidence issues, its not as simple as 'move on and get over it'. Money can't solve everything!

Confidence is the key and u you haven't got confidence in yourself you will be held back, not by other people but by yourself. Life is what u make it. Unfortunately for some they can feel so crap about themselves that they hold themselves back.
Last edited by Clairey Fairey on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

discomom

#21 Post by discomom »

Crooked teeth or not, I have ALWAYS been ONE HOT complain!!!! :lol: : :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

discomom

#22 Post by discomom »

OMG!! I just got censored: I mean I WAS ONE HOT BI--OTCH!!!!

metalmom

#23 Post by metalmom »

I couldn't wait to get in on this one! haha
Here's my take....

I do feel like my crooked teeth have held me back. I surely don't have a problem with confidence on most levels. I've always been outgoing and had my fair share of really great looking boyfriends. Even married two of them! haha I always said that it wasn't my looks that got them but my great personality. I still believe that to be true.. That being said, my crooked teeth do cause me some moments of angst in my professional life. I'm in sales and I'm always wondering if clients are thinking if you're so successful why they jacked up grill? Another point is that nothing is worse then a family photo with my amazing husband and his beautiful teeth, my gorgeous kids and their baby pearly whites and there's me crooked and not a very appealing smile. I think you have to really look at the question and evaulate your answer. Is beauty from the inside, sure it is... HOWEVER, does that mean a person w/an award winning personality and some seriously jacked teeth is going to be on the cover of a magazine? I think not.. It's just the way it is...

Now let's address the reliable source.. I don't know who will consider this to be reliable but if Oprah says it I believe it. They did a show on "classes". What makes you what... One of the answers that they found in a poll was people w/a really nice smile people assumed were middle to upper class. People w/not so nice teeth were usually considered to be lower class. The reasoning was, in America, orthodontics has been very wide spread for the last 25 years. Almost all middle/upper class kids get braces. It's the American way. I understand this might not be the way it is all over the world but here it's a rite of passage. I went to school w/kids who cried because their dentist wouldn't refer them to the ortho and their parents FOUND a way to get them the braces they so coveted...

It's totally a personal experience for everyone and I respect that. I feel like from my point of view, in my generation, not having a straight, white smile pushes me down a class level. My household income says otherwise but looking at me you wouldn't think it.

Not sure I believe I'd be anywhere else in life if I would have had this done sooner. I might be a little more successful because I'd be even more confident in myself. For the most part I feel like God has everything neatly planned for me and that I'm going along with it. The crooked teeth are just another character builder. They made me develop this personality and push harder to be more outgoing. Maybe if I would have had a great smile I'd be a spoiled snob.

Great question though. I understand where you're coming from. Amazing that people can get their danders up when you ask about teeth. Wonder if people with gigantic noses or birthmarks on their face would think that's a silly question. Some things can't be compared and each person's personal experience w/their teeth is going to be different. So we won't all agree.

Thanks!! :lol:

SandraJones

#24 Post by SandraJones »

We have all been brainwashed by advertisers, magazine editors, and film and TV producers into thinking that imperfections are gross flaws that must be fixed. What's most unfortunate is that we don't just scrutinize ourselves, we scrutinize others even though we have nothing to sell them and therefore nothing to gain if they seek out products and processes to help them be more perfect.

What's the easiest way to make someone a loser on TV or in a film or in a magazine advertisement ? Make them heavy, and then dress them poorly and make them act slovenly, as though all heavy people are lazy slobs. Dental or skin imperfections add impact.

The singer Jewel is a gorgeous woman. She had a dental imperfection, a lateral incisor which is tipped backwards (lingual). I have seen many posts on the 'net complaining about it, "she should get that fixed" !!!! Like it's not good enough that she's a stunner and has great talent to boot. I'm actually glad she's chosen to leave her tooth as is, she doesn't look like a replica of everyone else.

I'm so sick of veneers I could scream. They look like dentures, so fake. Same thing with excessive whitening ... your teeth are made from material that isn't even bright white when you are a baby !

One month not too long ago Jennifer Connolly (sp ?) was on the cover of two different magazines, Cosmopolitan and Glamour, as I recall. One one cover she was totally retouched, and they fixed her dental imperfections. On the other, her dental imperfections were left as-is. It was goofy as heck to see the two magazines placed next to each other as they were at the check-out counter where I saw them !! I wonder how these stars can allow themselves to be retouched like that !

I'm rambling ... :-)
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

lionfish

#25 Post by lionfish »

I accept that people in the US seem more obsessed with their teeth than any other nation on earth.

Oprah is first and foremost a media entertainer. Unless she has since acquired a higher degree in political economy, she is not a reliable source for explaining class distinctions.

Take a look at the British royals. You don't see a lot of perfect teeth there. Yet no-one would dispute their class status.

SandraJones

#26 Post by SandraJones »

I think people in the U.S. are more superficial than people in other countries. Unfortunately I think the superficiality is spreading to other countries, just like our fast food. :cry:
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

lionfish

#27 Post by lionfish »

Jennifer Connelly is gorgeous!! To be honest, I can't remember what her teeth are like (and I saw Blood Diamond only a few weeks ago).

SandraJones

#28 Post by SandraJones »

Jennifer Connelly's teeth are nice but not 100% perfectly aligned. I think they look fine, I was disappointed to see that the retouchers felt the need to "fix" them.

Regarding this other ongoing topic ... .guys have very fragile egos and many care too much what other people think. They feel pressure to have a beautiful babe on their arm, even if they themselves are generously flawed, because if they don't then they assume they will be looked upon as losers. It's a sign of insecurity. When you are a secure person, you look for a partner who has the kind of personality qualities that mesh best with yours, someone whose judgement you can trust, someone who you can THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN well with, someone who has the same goals as you do, someone who likes to do the same stuff that you do, etc.

Btw, women are not entirely off the hook. Women are insecure too, but they focus more on money than looks. It's equally disastrous.

Dimples

#29 Post by Dimples »

The truth of the matter is, teeth are a huge factor in U.S unfortunately....as far as classism goes.

And me personally, I wanted to get my teeth fixed for my own personal reasons...honestly, because I felt that one protruding central incisor(also from thumb sucking) was ugly.....but even with that flaw, I am/was a bad chick. My hubby is handsome. When we met back in H.S, he was well sought after, and also the captain of the football,baseball, and bowling team, with a nice body.
I never had a problem getting guys. Even now, married with 3 kids later, getting guys isn't a problem! LOL.
On top of being a down to earth, intelligent chick who loves sports, I have a pretty face, big dimples, and sexy curves to go along with it.(hope I don't sound too vain, but hey.... 8)

I can understand both points of view....but in the U.S. Teeth are a major classism issue.....but on the other hand, everybody has their preferences, some mind crooked teeth, other's don't.

jackie100

#30 Post by jackie100 »

Metal Mom, I agree with everything you said. I also saw that same show on Oprah about class.

TLB in Minneapolis, I agree with the indicators of class as suggested by Robert Reich.

For people who disagree with me that teeth are a good indicator of class, here are some definitive studies :

From the British Journal of Orthodontics

"The relationship between social class and uptake of orthodontic treatment was investigated in a longitudinal cohort study of 1018 children living in South Glamorgan, Wales. Previous studies have shown that working class people make less use of dental services and receive inferior dental care than middle class people. The present investigation examined the role of one factor which appears likely to contribute to this effect: namely, the uptake of orthodontic treatment by families from different social classes. If a significant association were shown then findings relating to the effectiveness of orthodontic treatment might be confounded by this social class factor. "

http://jorthod.maneyjournals.org/cgi/co ... t/16/2/107

And here another article from Case Western University

"The researchers also found that higher the family’s social economic status, the more likely the students would seek orthodontic care—and in some instances seek treatment even without a dentist’s recommendation."

http://www.case.edu/news/2004/7-04/orthocuyahoga.htm

Sure, there will be SOME very wealthy people with messed up teeth and who are overweight, but as for the majority, especially in today's age where orthodontics are extremely common, most people with money will be more likely to have had their teeth fixed.

And in addition, there have been MANY scientific studies done which prove that good looking people get judged more favorably in social situations, job interviews etc. It has been scientifically proven that attractive people tend to earn more.

From The Regional Economist:

"A person with below-average looks tended to earn 9 percent less per hour, and an above-average person tended to earn 5 percent more per hour than an average-looking person."

and

"They found evidence of a beauty premium for attorneys that increases with age, at least for the 1971-78 classes.2 Five years after graduating, a male lawyer from these classes with a beauty rating of one rank above average had approximately 10 percent higher earnings than his counterpart with a rating of one rank below average. Fifteen years after graduation, the beauty premium increased to 12 percent. The beauty premium was smaller for the 1980s classes and might be attributed to tighter labor market conditions at the time of graduation."

http://www.stlouisfed.org/publications/ ... ances.html

Teeth are an important part of overall beauty. Of course ability counts as well, but I think most people would want all the help and advantages they can get in life.
Last edited by jackie100 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.