Ceramic braces: How often do they come off?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

RahRahLuv

so true!!

#16 Post by RahRahLuv »

that is why I love this site! lol

HowlingWolf

#17 Post by HowlingWolf »

Thanks for the replies folks. I guess I'm not as lucky as others.

A second bracket just came off...one on both sides now....and I haven't even had the braces on 2 weeks!!

Should I try to cut them myself with nail clippers?

platinum

#18 Post by platinum »

Maybe there is something wrong with the glue?

iBorg

#19 Post by iBorg »

I am the exception to the rule. I currently have GAC Mystique ceramics and they will be changed to metal at my next appointment. I'm a bit thrilled and disappointed by the need for the change. I don't know how many loose brackets I've had. At one point it seemed like it was once every couple of weeks. At my last appointment when two came off when the powerchains were removed (mid July) the decision was made to switch. Since then I've had two other loose brackets.
I was told in some rare cases there is something in the enamel that causes a problem. I do have one metal in my top arch, which replaced a ceramic and its been there since October or early November. My ortho did say that metal allowed more torque for some movements.
I'll also have a brighter smile.

I guess I won't be able to hide my braces after September 6.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

jennielee81

#20 Post by jennielee81 »

I had 1 ceramic pop off in the first 6 weeks. After that none of my ceramics (Opals) came off on their own.

My kids each have had stainless brackets pop off more often than my ceramics (different ortho, different brackets).

It's not a big deal, unless like iBorg, they KEEP popping off. :wink:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

EmbraceMe

#21 Post by EmbraceMe »

I had one bracket pop off the very day I got braces on (this past Tuesday!) I went back in the next day and they said they hadn't realized that tooth had a crown and they have to glue them on differently. They decided to take it off completely until my appointment next week. It is strange how having them off of even just one tooth is like a treat :D

Clairey Fairey

#22 Post by Clairey Fairey »

My brackets have never come off and I've never had a pokey wire. I think this says more about your ortho than the quality of ceramic braces.

Carolinahigh12

#23 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

well I have ceramic uppers and I have not have any of them fall off (yet). I must say that I am pretty satisfied wuth the quality of my treatment so far and I have not had any pokey wires either. I cant really say that your problem is a shifting issue ( with you bite changing) or if it is a bonding issue. if it is the same bracket that is popping off , then your ortho might change that bracket to a metal one. Sorry I cant be much help or advise on this because I never had this problem before :) good luck on your future treatments :)
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

MrKadash

#24 Post by MrKadash »

Going on 13 months now with all ceramics and have yet to lose one..... Two months to go.

Thathrill

#25 Post by Thathrill »

I have lost a total of 4 within the first month and a half. I had 1 come off my central incisor within an hour after leaving the ortho's office. LOL The ortho's office got a kick out of seeing me again. The second time I was eating chicken and one popped off the canine. This happened on a saturday and I had to wait till monday to get it back on. This one put a lot of pressure on my central incisor. One popped off a molar while I was alseep. I happy that I didn't swallow and choke on it. lol And the last one was a metal bracket that came off 5 min after the ortho placed it on and walked away for the tech to finish up. LOL The good news is I have not had one pop off since then. My teeth are fairly "slippery" tho
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

sjsarre

#26 Post by sjsarre »

I haven't lost one yet touch wood!! I've had mine on for nearly 17months. Having said that the Ortho was expecting me to lose maybe one or two and did mention that if I had one lose to contact them immediately for them to be restuck.

Dimples

#27 Post by Dimples »

I have 10 upper ceramics, and so far, none have popped off, fortunately. :D

gena

#28 Post by gena »

I was in braces for 4 years (just had them taken off last week). I had ceramics on top and only had one to come off. The reason it came off was it was located next to my canine which had been impacted and he tied onto this bracket with a lot of pressure and the next day it broke in half and evidently I swallowed the half that broke off. Other than that one time, I never had it to happen again.

Gena

Kbraced

#29 Post by Kbraced »

I actually had one loosen -- upper first molar just last week. I made an appt with my ortho and the asst popped it right off, popped in 2 spacers, and I have to go back in two weeks to get a band put on that tooth. It prolly happened b/c my bite changed such that the bracket was getting hit by a lower molar when I chewed. It does feel weird as they cut my wire back there.