44 year old teacher almost decided - but still scared and ne

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PARR

#16 Post by PARR »

hey pink, that looks like my mouth...well, same brackets at least!

SandraJones

#17 Post by SandraJones »

Shaolin, even though I am suffering the discomfort of my first adjustment as I type this, I am so happy I have my braces on and I urge you to go for it !! The sooner the better. I had the idea of getting braces again at least back in 2000 and sat on it until a month ago. I wish I had just gone ahead and done it then ! I don't teach but I had lots of concerns too, and I'm finding out that it all doesn't matter because my teeth are moving into alignment (I see slight progress even after just 4 weeks !) and I know when I"m done my teeth will be so nice and I will be SO happy I did this.

You should just pick up the phone and call the orthodontist and make your appointment and let it all snowball. :-)
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

Poeticbraces

#18 Post by Poeticbraces »

Shaolin, if you had a broken leg, would you stop bringing your crutches to school if kids made fun of your using these? Would you not be wearing glasses if you needed them, if you thought the kids would think it is not "cool"?

This being said, beware of "mindreading"! What you think that kids think is not necessarily what they think!

When I talked about getting braces, my son pointed out that one of his teachers was wearing some. So, braced teachers can also be setting a good example...

Ceramic braces are pretty invisible until you laugh. But somehow, I just think this will make your laugh, as a teacher, even more popular!

Huon

#19 Post by Huon »

I'm a retired teacher but still teach in a voluntary situation. I had full metal braces but even so, it was 12 months before any of the children noticed ,or possibly they didn't think it was worth commenting on. The one child who commented simply said "You've got braces" and passed on.
I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Huon

iBorg

#20 Post by iBorg »

I had my ceramics swapped for metal. Honestly I don't think they're much more noticeable although they are a whole lot smaller. I'm actually seeing my toothbrush not destroyed in a coupe of days.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Keith

#21 Post by Keith »

I don't think the kids care that you have braces...DO IT, GET THEM!

Getting braces was the best decision I made in a long time. I am so happy with the results! You will be, too!!

shaolin

#22 Post by shaolin »

OK - thanks for all the support, I phoned up yesterday and got the ball rolling. 3rd Nov (!) I have an appt to get molds made, photos taken etc. - the journey has begun!

I'm sure I'll be back a lot!

sashamax

#23 Post by sashamax »

congratulations on making the decison shaolin. I look forward to seeing your progress via this site.

shaolin

#24 Post by shaolin »

Hi again everyone, well things went slower than I anticipated, but yesterday I got my braces fitted!

I really think that without all the encouragement I got here I probably would have let it slide - always easier no to do something than actually do it.

I have white braces that the orthodontist tells me have only been available for about 6 months and stain much less than they did previously. The family tell me that they can't see anything at all when I talk. They are exposed when I laugh, but at least now it's braces and not a set of wonky teeth which is what showede before!

The 22nd of Dec wasn't exactly my chosen time to get them fitted, just before the big Christmas nosh-up, but a side effect may be that I may lose some weight. The teeth cleaning associated with snacks and the current discomfort of eating will hopefull mean that I'll do less of it!

Have a bit of pain today in the back teeth in particular and the ends of the braces are rubbing on my cheeks, so I put some wax in place and pretty much ok now. As I'm at home on holiday I'm not doing so much talking, but I am aware that it would be worse if I had to talk a lot. Hoping that I'll be more used to them by the time I get back to school and have to talk a lot again.

juliejewels

I AM A TEACHER WHO JUST GOT BRACES

#25 Post by juliejewels »

Do it ,do it, do it.

. I teach middle school and coach cheerleading and went to school the very same day I got them put on. (I am 36) The kids knew I was getting them and all wanted to see. They were even giving me tips on what to eat and how to brush. I was very self conscious and still am- I just had them put on on 12/21 Friday. But I had no trouble talking in them the first day in and no pain had set in yet. ( but right now I cannot really eat)

I got a little crazy and got all gold braces upper and lower. The kids think that is way cool and it sets me a part from them, who usually have the silver. But they all think I should have gotten silver since our colors are silver and blue.
Some of the girls got excited and said we needed to start a braces club! lol

I think it is actually good that I got them and can go through this with my "kids" . They feel awkward, I feel awkward. Maybe in some strange way it will help their self-esteem since Ms. K has braces too. I guess we can all help each other through.

Also, they are so self-absorbed, I think once they have seen them, it is no big deal. At that age, they don't really care too much about us. I am so happy I did it. I cannot wait to start to see movement. I am happy that I am finally able to do something about my teeth that have made me self conscious since I can remember.

I gave some Hershey's kisses to my last class of the day and they thought it would be funny to put the foil on their teeth so they looked like me! It was really kinda funny. We all had a laugh. We have a good relationship, so I can take the mild musing.

Go for it, really. You will not regret it.

-Julie :D

juliejewels

#26 Post by juliejewels »

Sorry, your post was from back in September. I just figured that out.

Glad to read your update that you just got your braces.

I got mine a couple days ago so I could learn to talk over break. We go back to school on 1/7/07 so I have a little time to adjust.

So much for eating holiday goodies, though.

Good luck.

shaolin

#27 Post by shaolin »

Thanks juliejewels, I hope you're coping with your braces too.

Before I found this site I was convinced that I was probably the only over 21 year old in the world who was considering braces - let alone any other teachers!

berries

#28 Post by berries »

Congratulations, Shaolin! :-*

I work in a school in the mornings, and I do think the children notice the braces, but it's not really a problem. I've had my braces for a year and have never received any rude treatment from anyone of any age.

bbsadmin

#29 Post by bbsadmin »

shaolin wrote: Before I found this site I was convinced that I was probably the only over 21 year old in the world who was considering braces - let alone any other teachers!
That's the beauty of the internet, isn't it? Finding out that you are not alone in whatever it is you are facing. Hope you're not in too much pain, having just gotten braced. By the time you're back at school after winter break, you will be almost totally used to them, which will be good!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

shaolin

#30 Post by shaolin »

Hi Lynn (?). This is a really impressive site and a great resource. I have a few websites that I run myself and from that perspective am impressed with the niche that you have seen and developed. It also highlights the fact that people surf the net for content and making a site about what you have a genuine interest in makes the best sites.

I'm not in too much pain, dealing with it largely by just not eating much! - and there's an awful lot of food goodies around at the moment with it being Christmas eve.