Question for all who will Answer--

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

#16 Post by iBorg »

Since you've been suggested to read my story a couple of times I guess I'll touch base with you. First, I've been to Easley and considered moving there about fifteen years ago. My wife works in health care. I'm a gear head at heart. In many ways we are alike. I too suffer TMJ issues. I went through splints and found them to be a great help for about six months. Then my TMJ pain reappeared but in a different spot. The TMJ pain was so bad at times I found it hard to drive. I over medicated myself with OTC meds often enough that I suffered the intestinal damage the warning labels speak of. I needed to do something about the TMJ issues or I would have life changing consequences. TMJ issues don't get better on their own.

At first, I did not consider ortho work. I have a root canal and didn't think ortho was possible. I've since learned differently. I found one ortho who I have great faith in. She told me that ortho would not cure my TMJ issues but would reduce the pain from an eight or nine to a three or a four based upon reports from past patients. After eight months it was suggested I consider surgery. I wrestled with that option. Finally, I realized that if I was going to do this, I should do whatever to get the best result. I don't want the recovery involved with the surgery, but, want the type of results that others have had with surgery. Therefore my teeth are being moved in position for surgery. I'm hopeful to have surgery next summer.

After 14 months of treatment I can tell you my TMJ is still very active. I can now handle the pain with a heat pad for about 10-15 minutes. Not always convenient but I have not needed the pain relievers I was dependent on prior to braces. While it seems strange to be almost 50 with braces, I can tell you the reduction in TMJ related headaches has increased my productivity. I'm happier and can deal with not only my 9 and 6 year olds better but I can handle a Pack of Cub Scouts.

I'd offer you these words of advice. Visit several orthos. It would be nice if Clemson had a College of Dentistry. AS for the cost of surgery, it is scary. The suggestion of monthly payments is good. Another consideration would be to look at your wife's medical insurance. The type of surgery that you need would be covered by medical and not dental. I do not know if your previous injury would either help or hurt getting the surgery covered.

Finally, if all else fails, build a Riddler winner. Sell it. Buy a new house and pay for the surgery.
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

ohmyjaw

#17 Post by ohmyjaw »

iBorg,

I am quite sure that, compared to what you have suffered already, the surgery is going to be a piece of cake.

iBorg

#18 Post by iBorg »

ohmyjaw (I really need a real name)

My options were easy, braces or a very invasive surgery to repair/salvage my intestines if I continued needing the pain meds with the frequency and quantity I was taking them. Even with the recovery issues, jaw surgery is a lot less severe. I'm sure two or three days after the surgery, I'll forget that. Please remind me when I start my pity party.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

ohmyjaw

#19 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hmmm, I like my name. :wink: Maybe I'll use my real one some day but for now I'm sticking with it.

Two or three days after surgery, my head resembled a watermelon, I had ice packs strapped to both sides of my face, and I had smoothie dribbling down my chin. Yup, quite the pity party.

But, I was pretty much back up and running (or, rock climbing, rather) inside of two weeks.

You'll be fine!

QKate

#20 Post by QKate »

I think there is another guy on this forum who builds hot rods too!

mottsrods

#21 Post by mottsrods »

Ok....I have two consultations set for next week. Both were reccomended by my dentist, and he said they both did work to help the TMJ problems. Cool beans...I feel better now, and will feel even better after i see them. Also, iBorg, where are you in WV....I used to go to Fayetteville/New River Gorge area alot to go rock climbing, and sometimes up to Summerville Lake and Seneca Rocks. I love it up there...As for the Riddler Award.....I'm working on a 1939 Ford Coupe now. It could possibly be an award winning car. Flat head included. I don't really build cars for customers. I build them for myself the way I want them, and then sell them. I like it better that way. But it is still stressfull. And now back on the subject.....My medical insurance won't cover the surgery because it is pre-existing. Sucks huh!! Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Lisa65

#22 Post by Lisa65 »

Ken (bracedagain) is our other hot rodder.

iBorg

#23 Post by iBorg »

I'm in Charleston.

As for the pre existing clause, I'm not sure if it would be enforced. It is a defect from birth. If you are referred to a surgeon, you could talk to them and ask them to run it through the pre certification process. One thing I've been told is to anticipate being turned down and having to appeal. It is an expensive surgery and the insurance companies will make you dance through hoops to get it covered.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

mottsrods

#24 Post by mottsrods »

Okay,
Today at church, (my wife and I volunteer in our children's church classes twice a month), I met a little girl, 2 years old who had the last name of one of the consults I have have made for this upcoming week. It so happens, it is her child. WOW...WOW....freaky! Anyways, I met her and introduce myself. We usually go to the 9am service and this week changed to the 11am service, the one the ortho attends. She is extatic that I go to church there and our patient/doctor relationship seems awesome. My wife and I chatted with her in the parking lot for about an hour. She looked briefly at my bite and said she thought she could help; ie, without surgery......Big Smile........ :D I feel great about this ortho... She also told my wife that she should come see her.....and would work out the money issues with us.....since she is the only doc in her practice, she said she can do this...WOW I can't wait for my actual consult!!!!!