Changing metal to ceramic

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Miss Smiley

#16 Post by Miss Smiley »

I have all clear, top and bottoms, and love them! After having them for 8 months, my co-worker said "Oh, you got your braces removed!" Then I said "no, they're still here, just clear still!" Then she went to say how clear and unnoticeable they were. Made me feel better about picking ceramics versus metal. That's just how I feel about it!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

braceface1969

#17 Post by braceface1969 »

I would keep the metal ones.I have metal and am not self conscious anymore about them.

gwynneth23

#18 Post by gwynneth23 »

I have braces on my upper teeth only, and the brackets are mainly ceramic (metal ones at the back).

They are less visible of course, and I'm sure I would feel a 'bit' more self-conscious if they were metal. But to be honest I don't think it's a big deal either way.

One thing you might want to bear in mind is that I'm sure I read somewhere on this site, that ceramic brackets tend to be more bulky and rougher than the metal ones. (Can anyone confirm if that's true?). So you might find that the ceramic brackets are more noticeable in your mouth, and rub more against the inside of your gum. That might be an issue for you, if you've found it hard to get used to wearing a brace. If you do discuss it with your ortho, then you might want to ask him/her to actually show you the brackets and how they compare for size.

It may be a case of weighing up comfort vs appearance (and cost)!

ilovemacs

#19 Post by ilovemacs »

I don't have ceramics, but one of the many treatment coordinators at my ortho's has them and she says they are bigger, and take longer to get use to. I don't know about roughness though. Good Luck! :D

iBorg

#20 Post by iBorg »

I had ceramics on my top and had to switch to metal because the ceramics just wouldn't stay on. My ortho says its rare but for some people they just won't stay bonded on. With that being said, I find the metals much more comfortable than the ceramics. They are much smaller and have a lower profile. With that being said, you'll find that as you move up wire size the clear become almost as noticeable as the metal. For myself, that's not an issue, I'm happy I'm doing this. I'm happy with the progress. I'm happy enough I don't have the desire to hide them.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.