How soon before I can floss?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Miss Smiley

#16 Post by Miss Smiley »

I had a problem flossing my lowers because the bottom six were so sore. I don't think I flossed them for the first week my lowers were braced. I did try my best to keep my teeth clean with brushing and using a proxybrush with a fluoride rinse.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

EmbraceJCT

#17 Post by EmbraceJCT »

I'm glad I searched for this subject - this thread is exactly what I needed to hear! I got braced yesterday and tried flossing last night and it was the most painful, frustrating experience. I was using SuperFloss and it just wouldn't go between my teeth - they were way too tight together! So after reading this, I'm going to try using a thinner floss and just know that it gets better. I'm also glad to hear that the amount of time it takes lessens over time - I was beginning to think my life would be taken over by eating and teeth cleaning!

karylarizona

Flossing

#18 Post by karylarizona »

I know that a WaterPick is not a substitution for flossing, but I find the WaterPick extremely helpful, more than flossing. It's a bit crowded in there to fit it in and around the braces and you have to be very careful, but it can be done, and it gets a lot out of there. I use warm water too which feels great.

breda206

#19 Post by breda206 »

I started flossing on day 1, it was extremely painful although it did get better day by day.

Twinkletoes

#20 Post by Twinkletoes »

Just to let you know, Embrace - since I originally posted this topic a week ago, my flossing has got easier. I was braced last Monday and for the first four or five days I couldn't even touch my bottom front teeth, let alone floss! They are very crowded and the braces made them feel even tighter. I've now bought some Oral B Satin Tape and find this easier to use. It's actually fine to thread through the wires and I find it gets inbetween the crowded teeth better than the Superfloss. It's all a matter of trial and error for each particular case, I think, but I find the tape doesn't shred or get caught up as much on my teeth. I've still got pain when I try to floss, but not as much as a week ago - I'm persevering with it. Good luck! :D