adult deep overbite-is there ANY alternative to jaw surgery

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

horriblebite

#16 Post by horriblebite »

Dear motuxt

Obviously every case is different BUT my problem seems very much like that you describe, down to the self-correction by positioning the lower jaw...I've never had TMJ due to it BUT i can't help but think that my holding jaw like this, for all those years cant be good. I was prepared to be told jaw surgery or nothing - hence this post and on Thursday was overjoyed to be offered braces instead. Preparing to be told operation or nothing, I'd already booked a second opinion before i went for the first.

I have read of people having chin implants in cases where the lower jaw is under developed, if all else failed, would that give you the profile you are looking for?

motuxt

#17 Post by motuxt »

Hey Horriblebite,

It's comforting to hear of someone with a similar condition! I don't think i'm suitable for a chin implant because I actually have a fairly decent chin and augmenting my chin would do nothing to move my bottom teeth further forward. In fact, my chin means my profile is unlike almost anyone else's I've ever seen; my face goes outwards with my lips, then inwards to my reclined jaw, then back out to my chin. If I had a weak chin I think my face would look a lot worse as my reclined jaw would just 'fall' into my neck.

I have clearly inherited my bite from my father who also has an overjet, though not as severe. It's funny because a little overjet can actually be considered visually attractive and appealing, and if I could get to the same level as overjet as my Dad without surgery then I would be very happy!

As you say, holding the jaw forward all the time cannot be good in the long-run. I'm fairly convinced my Tinnitus is a result of this as it seems to be more severe the longer and more frequently I do it. If I spend a day laying around doing nothing and not worrying about posturing, the Tinnitus quietens down a lot by night. Also, when the temperature drops in the winter I find I get jaw and ear ache... I'm wonder exactly why this is, but it probably has something to do with me wearing away the cartilage.

Horriblebite, do you know what your overjet is in mm? I just checked and I think mine is actually more like 10 or 11mm than the 8mm I thought. I'm curious how many mm your ortho thinks that braces can improve. Also, I'm curious; hold old are you? I'm 26 and as I get older the aches and volume of the Tinnitus seem to be increasing so I do wonder what it'll be like when i'm older.

All the best,

M

TigerLily

#18 Post by TigerLily »

Hi Motoxt

Welcome.

Sorry to hear you are at a crossroads, but hey just think of how you'll be in 2 years!

I will PM you the details of my ortho.

Regards
TigerLily

horriblebite

#19 Post by horriblebite »

Dear motuxt

Hilariously i tried to measure my own overjet...quite tricky! I think its probably about 5 - 6mm.
Before i went to see a French ortho' (as i mentioned i expected reluctance to help) i was thinking of coming back to the UK - one of the things i came across was some orthodontics / cosmetic dentists in the UK starting to try and correct overbite and overjet with use of veneers alone using the techniques used for dental facelift...building up molars with onlays and veneers on others to create a new bite and give faceheight- quite bizarrely (well, it seemed to me anyway) they first train the person to create more 'freespace' in thier mouths (which is what some of us do to self correct overbites etc) with the use of a mouth piece. It was very expensive and i think some orthodontics view it as 'untested' but the results are almost instant (a few months rather than years). I would look it at as a very last resort but if anything happens and the ortho changes mind on braces, i would probably go that route over jaw surgery.

ohmyjaw

#20 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hey motuxt,

I just wanted to offer a small piece of advice from my experience. I had braces and jaw surgery - just got my braces off a couple months ago, after two and half years. I had all kinds of self-esteem issues, just like you. My advice - just do it. Don't wait. The sooner you start, the sooner you're done. I did this all on my own. I don't have a husband or boyfriend or dog or cat, and my family all live in a different city. Obviously, you need to have the finances in place, but once you have that, go ahead and get started.

horriblebite,

Personally I would not recommend getting a mouthful of veneers to camoflage your overjet. Veneers only last about 10 years, so you would have to get them replaced several times during your life, and they are very expensive! And, I would also want to know what effect this treatment has on your jaw joints...

horriblebite

veneers

#21 Post by horriblebite »

Yes i agree on the veneers, but there was no option other than surgery i would go for them knowing they are not ideal i would be worried about my gum health though. If i was twenty six and had no other health issues i would probably view the jaw surgery with less tepidation - however I do know a girl who had a jaw operation and she has not regained sensitivity in part of her lower lip after 3.5 years, i don't know how common that is, rare i would hope.

ohmyjaw

#22 Post by ohmyjaw »

Yes that can happen. I had surgery a year ago and I have a small numb spot at the corner of my mouth. It is very small and doesn't bother me. As far as I know, this happens in 10-15% of patients. This is the most common complication. There are other risks, like infection, plate rejection, relapse, but these are quite rare. Still, it is important to know that risks exist.

platinum

#23 Post by platinum »

My regular dentist who is a cosmetic dentist, too, corrected his mothers bite by using crowns and veneers. She had an overbite. But I guess it is ok solution when you are older, not in your twenties.

horriblebite

my overjet was 6mm in the beginning, it got bigger when my teeth got straighter, though. last time my ortho mentioned that my overjet was 3mm, 1-2 mm being normal. unfortunately I dont have a digital camera to take pictures of my bite, at the moment. I had two spams breaking down within a year, so I went back to old fashioned ones.

horriblebite

#24 Post by horriblebite »

I think many of us here, on realising our teeth could be improved, wished we'd done it before...i did, i wish i could turn the clock back to be 26 again - if treatment takes two years then at 28 you still have your whole life in front of you. I don't go a whole lot with conforming...but if i did, I'd say that the average age for men to get married in the UK is over 30! One thing that is destructive re finding a partner or justing being happy and something that is guaranteed to eat up life is spending time worrying about something like this. If it were not for this forum, i wouldn't have known that orthos' opinions, preferenes for treatment etc can vary and it's quite normal to have to get at least a couple more opinions if first one doesn't present a suitable solution...i think this is not uncommon when it comes to being advised that jaw surgery is required.

motuxt

#25 Post by motuxt »

I should be seeing my ortho at the end of the month and he's promised to let me know what my options are other than surgery so I can consider them. I think most of my issues are to do with me holding my lower jaw in a position that is not natural for extended periods. If there's a way of reducing my overjet and overbite whilst leaving my jaw in its natural position then I would definitely consider it.

Unfortunately, I am quite indecisive and can also lack commitment to things over the long-term; not a recipe for committing to a long-term ortho effort!

I have to say though, the rest of you on this forum do a spectacular job of informing people of what it takes and what you go through. It really shines a light on the whole process and for that you should all be rewarded.

I definitely don't want a mouth full of veneers and 'stump' teeth but I'll have to hear exactly what is involved before entirely discounting a more cosmetic approach. And as Meryaten says, chin augmentation is surgery so I may as well go the jaw surgery route if I'm willing to do that.

All the best,

M