I got my braces removed today and ICK ICK ICK

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joney

#16 Post by joney »

Other side of the coin again. I've had damons for 19 months and never any trouble opening the doors.
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

jenny101101

#17 Post by jenny101101 »

joney wrote:Other side of the coin again. I've had damons for 19 months and never any trouble opening the doors.
Glad to hear, joney! :D I did go for my first "full" adjustment(the other 2 previous appts. were bonding appts.) on Thursday and it wasn't as bad. A few teeth were sensitive when opening the doors but I knew what to expect. I got heavier wires on top and bottom....exciting!! :lol:
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

jenny101101

#18 Post by jenny101101 »

Oh dear, I probably shouldn't have read that, Meryaten! :? Hopefully I won't have to go down the same road...

I didn't realise until my last cleaning that I was prone to tartar(the hygenist told me I was)and she recommended I use a tartar control rinse(and a flouride at night). The only rinse I can find is Listerine brand and it burns my mouth and the alcohol dries it :soremouth: .

The only other mouthwash/rinse I've seen is Plax(I think) and it comes in green or red. Does anyone know if this would help? I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know the difference between plaque and tartar and I'm not sure what to use so I've just been using a flourinde rinse at night.... :oops:
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

kirjax

#19 Post by kirjax »

I'm sorry your debanding wasn't a pleasant experience. I hope your feeling much better now though that your braces are gone!! I think it's all worth it though, wouldn't u agree.

I too fear my debandment but then again I feared braces and they've been a piece of cake! So I'm trying not to think about it.

I just worry bc when my brother had braces removed they cracked his front tooth pulling on it. Now granted my brother most likely had some enamel wear to his teeth since he was young and wasn't great about cleaning his teeth but it still is a fear. Imagine going through all this work to have to bond a tooth in the end :? But he's the only one I've ever met that had problems every one of my friends and cousins said it was a piece of cake and not to worry.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

Pixel Witch

#20 Post by Pixel Witch »

Meryaten wrote:I think it's that the particular design for the Damon "doors" makes them very susceptible to tartar. Now I am not for one moment accusing anyone of not brushing properly - fact is some of us just produce more tartar than others due to our particular body chemistry. Thus, some people will have no trouble, and others will have a heck of a time. I've heard it's more common for the doors on the lowers to be a problem than the uppers too. It became such an issue for Attagirl2 that, despite using a special anti-plaque rinse, the doors became too much of an issue, and her ortho switched her lower arch from Damon 3 to SmartClips. (See: viewtopic.php?p=49307)

I am a person who seems to get tartar around anything metal in the bottom of my mouth. It drives me nuts.

When I had my tongue pierced, the bottom ball that sat behind my front teeth was a magnet.

My lowers are also a magnet, I have to spend three times the maintenence on them :(