Hesitant about extractions!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

drrick

#16 Post by drrick »

Orthon always go for extraction because its the easiest way out for them to aligned your teeth, thats wat they concerned about!

Thats not really true. Most docs dont like having to take teeth out but sometimes it is the only way to do it. Extracting teeth isnt always the easiest way to treat a case. In fact it is often more difficult that treating a case w/out ext's. Closing the ext spaces and keeping all of the teeth parallel can be a real nightmare. It can make finishing a case harder not easier. But if you want a stable end result it may be necessary.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

gracey82

#17 Post by gracey82 »

Sorry didnt mean it in a insulting way.

But most of the time, the first thing the orthon always suggesting a patient wanting to get braces is extraction, without putting more effort to save healthy teeth. Thats how it come across to me.

Just very important to find good orthon who is willing to take the patient's concern into considerations and going to adopt a more conservative approach, and not extract teeth right away!

drrick

#18 Post by drrick »

It wasnt taken as an insult at all. No problem there.

Trust me the first thing suggested is NOT extraction when a pt requests braces. Docs are trained to save teeth whenever possible it just isnt always possible to reach tx goals and long term stability non-ext. FWIW, I do not do a ton of extraction cases but when you need it, you need it.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

gracey82

#19 Post by gracey82 »

Thats great, I prefer your approach!

Here in Singapore, almost 90% of the orthons I speak or ask suggest extraction. I wish its not the case here, sad but true. Only can find few number of the orthons who are willing to adopt conservative approach.

signingsunflower

Extractions

#20 Post by signingsunflower »

I too was told by three separate orthos that I would probably need extractions. I finally found an ortho who was willing to wait it out and I am sure glad we did!!! My teeth look great so far and I will NOT need any extractions!!! :-)
Check out my blog by clicking on www.
Initial Consult/Molds: 9/10/08
8 Spacers: 10/17/08
Brace Day: 10/24/08
First Adjustment: 12/5/08
Sentence: 2-3 years