How long after 1st consult to get your braces on?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

felicia

#16 Post by felicia »

I live in a city with 1,5 million people. I go to a very busy practice. Very high recommended, modern, respectable.
I will be honest with you, after my initial consultation, I could have set an appointment to start my treatment the very next day if I wanted to, but I set it for a week later because of my work schedule.
It took your ortho's office a very looooooooong time to start your treatment. I just cannot imagine how busy can they be? Is it a big office? Is it a small office? Are you in United States? If yes, what part? How many orthodontic assistants do they have?.....I don't know, give me some clues so that I can understand why it took them so long...I'm curious.

lealicious

#17 Post by lealicious »

felicia wrote:I live in a city with 1,5 million people. I go to a very busy practice. Very high recommended, modern, respectable.
I will be honest with you, after my initial consultation, I could have set an appointment to start my treatment the very next day if I wanted to, but I set it for a week later because of my work schedule.
It took your ortho's office a very looooooooong time to start your treatment. I just cannot imagine how busy can they be? Is it a big office? Is it a small office? Are you in United States? If yes, what part? How many orthodontic assistants do they have?.....I don't know, give me some clues so that I can understand why it took them so long...I'm curious.
Hey felicia,

I'm not in the US, I'm in Melbourne Australia. The office that I go to is 1 of 5 locations throughout Melbourne. I believe my orthodontist works at more than 1 of these offices, so he may only be at the one I go to a few times a week. I don't think they would give me an appointment at another office because all my records would be in the one place, and it's a fair distance to the other ones.

Every time I would book in for another consult, or to take my moulds and x-rays, they would give me the next available appointment which would be a few months away. They would also put me on a waiting list in case there was a cancellation before my scheduled appointment.

So I think maybe he'll have a set number of available appointments per week for different things. For example, a certain number of new people coming to see him, a certain number of people coming to put there braces on, and a certain number of people coming to get adjustments. These are the only reasons I can think of which would make my waiting time so long.

So yeah, it has taken a while. I'm just glad I'll finally be getting my braces on in about 2 weeks.
10/03/10 - Upper braces
11/05/10 - First adjustment

felicia

#18 Post by felicia »

That makes sense now...Wow, we are so spoiled here in United States. I wish it would that easy everywhere as it is here. I come from an eastern European country, where I've never even heard about braces when I was a teenager (I'm 27 now). I believe they do orthodontics in my country too by now, but I imagine it is very expensive and available only in the major cities.

Takako

#19 Post by Takako »

See, my ortho did everything as fast as possible, but still focused on me getting my teeth healthy and ready. I had my consult, then a cleaning, then had moulds made and spacers put it, then more spacers, then brackets, then extractions, then finally wire. But that all took only a month or two, and all of the wait time was for things like making the spacers work or my mouth to heal.

MrMetalMouth1029

#20 Post by MrMetalMouth1029 »

The time between my consult and my bracing day was a little over a month. I could've gotten braced that next morning. However, I was scheduled to have all my wisdom teeth extracted and to get a crown placed on one of my teeth, so I had to go through surgery and the crown procedure before I could get braces. I had no idea that they could put them on so quickly!
Braced (upper and lower): 10/29/08
Debraced: 3/17/10
Now sportin' a permanent bottom retainer
Alternate clear retainers every 12 hours

browneyedgrl

#21 Post by browneyedgrl »

I had my consultation in November 2007 and got my braces the following January.
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]