Extractions with braces on

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

P3nnst8r

#16 Post by P3nnst8r »

I got 4 of my teeth (premolars) pulled after I got my brackets on. It was definitely an experience, lol. I just got local anesthetic, and although I couldn't feel any pain, I could feel the pressure of my dentist pulling and pushing to get them loose. The worst part was the fact that it took 1 tooth like 15 minutes to go out. And some cracking sounds. Hopefully it won't be as bad for you :)

Other than that, it is not bad at all. I never really hurt, persay. Just expect some blood and eating lots of yogurt and jello for a few days. Or ice cream, if you like that :) I am very happy that I got it done, and although they are some of my more forward teeth, you can barely see the holes! Unless I smile realllllly wide.

I got my wires on this past week, and that's actually been a more annoying experience. So sore :(

deano306

#17 Post by deano306 »

I had my two extraction today.

First off I had to see the orthodontist to have my wire and two brackets removed. Then up stairs to the dentist to have my teeth removed. Then back downstairs to the orthodontist again to have my wire re-fitted.

All in all I've had a 'good' experience with it. I am in a little bit of pain now but I guess that's to be expected. I'm actually quite suprised with the whole thing!

I agree the holes do look awful but for 'us' that isn't a perminant thing! I will now be glad when the blood has all gone and I can eat something. You can feel the holes and I'll be glad when that feeling becomes 'normal' again.

:)

Bracy

#18 Post by Bracy »

I am going in tomorrw. :shock: I wish i could say i am not nervous about it. 8) :shock:

02/01/2010 Braced Top and Bottom
03/09/2010 Extraction #12, #16
03/26/2010 Secondary Molar Bands and new wire
09/13/2010 Power Chain Top and Elastics (3) to fix cross-bite and open bite
10/25/2010 Power Chain removed and new Elastic constellation (2) to fix over-bite

deano306

#19 Post by deano306 »

Bracy wrote:I am going in tomorrw. :shock: I wish i could say i am not nervous about it. 8) :shock:
You'll be fine I'm sure :)

Bracy

#20 Post by Bracy »

Ok, i had my extractions today with my braces on. I have my braces for about 5 weeks now and they just took the bracket off my tooth #12 and pulled it. The wire and everything on, no problem. They also pulled my #16 wisdom tooth. All in all it was not such a big deal. I was far more nervous than I needed to be. The holes do feel awkward and I hope that becomes normal quickly. :) Thank you for the encouragement. :D

02/01/2010 Braced Top and Bottom
03/09/2010 Extraction #12, #16
03/26/2010 Secondary Molar Bands and new wire
09/13/2010 Power Chain Top and Elastics (3) to fix cross-bite and open bite
10/25/2010 Power Chain removed and new Elastic constellation (2) to fix over-bite

deano306

#21 Post by deano306 »

Yeah it does feel weird! Hopefully another week or so and it'll be fine - well fingers crossed anyway!

braiiins

#22 Post by braiiins »

I had my braces put on 6 weeks 2 days ago, and had 6 teeth extracted 20 days ago - 2 lower wisdoms plus all 4 bicuspids. Had the power chains put on the top today to start closing those gaps.

I'd say the worst part of the gaps is food getting caught, but that's because my sockets are still healing. Almost there! I think what will end up being more annoying is just waiting for the gaps to close, it's definitely something new and learning to chew everything with the gaps is sort of strange.

Once my extraction pain wore off (mostly from the wisdom teeth, thanks to TMJ), everything was starting to feel great again, and then the teeth closest to the bicupsid extraction sites started loosening up a bit with room to move, so that made me sore again.

I'll be having 2 more extracted probably in about a year. Yippee...

It's a process! Hope everything works out for you and the sockets heal quickly!

BluelilJ

#23 Post by BluelilJ »

Its been 5 days since my 2 extractions and my sockets have healed pretty good. You can still see some red, but the holes have pretty much closed up. Tomorrow I will go for my next 2 extractions since my doctor did not want to do all 4 at the same time. I'm hoping everything goes as smooth as the first time, I really want to get this show on the road already :lol:

Thanks for everyone's encouragement, it's good to know I'm not alone in this.

March 1 2010 - Braces On
March 6 2010 - Upper and lower right bicuspids extracted (right)
March 12 2010 - Upper and lower bicuspids extracted (left)
April 5, 2010 - First adjustment
May 3, 2010 - Second Adjustment
June 7, 2010 - Third Adjustment

Lys

#24 Post by Lys »

deano306 wrote:I had my two extraction today.

First off I had to see the orthodontist to have my wire and two brackets removed. Then up stairs to the dentist to have my teeth removed. Then back downstairs to the orthodontist again to have my wire re-fitted.

All in all I've had a 'good' experience with it. I am in a little bit of pain now but I guess that's to be expected. I'm actually quite suprised with the whole thing!

I agree the holes do look awful but for 'us' that isn't a perminant thing! I will now be glad when the blood has all gone and I can eat something. You can feel the holes and I'll be glad when that feeling becomes 'normal' again.

:)
This sounds like my schedule next month! Did your ortho mention fake teeth attached to the bracket for you; until your teeth move in close? Mine ordered one after checking the color of my tooth to those available. He called it a Pontiac Tooth? <sp?> Catchy name, incorrect name or a new money maker for a rust belt US auto maker? Your call! :-)

Thanks for sharing! I am not as worried now about getting my two extracted.

deano306

#25 Post by deano306 »

Nope, not mention of any fake teeth. I was just told to go careful with eating becuase as there is now a larger gap between the brackets food could invert the wire and it could come out at the back. I haven't had this happen to me though and things are healing up nicely and i'm now back to eating "comfortably" :)