Cause of Braces Self-consciousness

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wildbill

#16 Post by wildbill »

Steph in Sac wrote:I can't say I agree with all that you say, but now that I have braces, I notice people's teeth. My main issue is crowding of lower teeth. Once I open the braces conversation, I notice people generally say, "Mine are crowded too." And low and behold, they are. Mine were crowded for about 10 years before I got my braces, so I shouldn't pass judgement on why they don't fix theirs. It is relatively easy to fix most cases though.
I am in the same boat as you...I waited about 10 years to fix my bottom crowded teeth. I just got my braces on today. It is definitely a strange feeling at first.

bookfairy

#17 Post by bookfairy »

I have never smiled as broadly as the past month!
(Ok, except during meals :) )

I want my braces to be seen, I am so happy to have them , I wanted them my whole life (wore a retainer as a teenager, didn't help) and now I am proudly showing them off.

I figure, if I was ashamed of smiling before, when my teeth were crooked, wwhy would I be ashemed now, that I am doing something about it?
IMHO, it's like seeing overweight/people unhappy with their weight doing sports; I think"good for them! They have a problem and they are doing something about it".

So smile wide, be proud of yourself 8)

daffodil

#18 Post by daffodil »

I cried when I learned that I would need braces for two years as an adult in order to fix my jaw and save my teeth. And this was after I had braces for a few years as a teenager and knew that it wasn't so bad! I was worried about people being judgmental, especially at work, and I was worried that they'd make me unattractive. But in the end, I decided that I needed to take care of my teeth, and a couple years of discomfort is worth it.

psych braces

#19 Post by psych braces »

Hi DrBlur,
I'm struggling with even brinnging the subject up with my coworkers. Please tell me how you told your co-workers that you would arrive at work shortly with braces and would be this way for a couple years. I have a very public position and therefore scared to bring up the conversation. Actually my profession is one of the reasons that I put off the braces for so long...until I finally realized that was unfair.

MrT

#20 Post by MrT »

psych braces wrote:Hi DrBlur,
I'm struggling with even brinnging the subject up with my coworkers. Please tell me how you told your co-workers that you would arrive at work shortly with braces and would be this way for a couple years. I have a very public position and therefore scared to bring up the conversation. Actually my profession is one of the reasons that I put off the braces for so long...until I finally realized that was unfair.
My position at work is also very public...I have to stand in front of people and do sales pitches with braces on. I didn't tell anyone that I was getting braces, I just showed up at work one day and said, "Yup, I had braces." I'll be honest, it was very embarrassing at first and a year later, it still is. But in another year (hopefully) this will all be behind me. I knew it wouldn't be easy, especially in such a vain society as America, but I wanted to get through it and, well, here I am getting through it day by day. I know it'll be worth it in the end! I didn't want to have crooked teeth all of my life...I would rather have braces on than cooked teeth. In the end, I am very, very thankful to even have the opportunity to afford braces and if you have that chance, go for it!