i know that i need braces but i am scared and embarrassed.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Snowglobe32

#16 Post by Snowglobe32 »

AndrewM wrote: I can relate;I've agonized over the decision myself (and still haven't seen anyone). In my case, I've always been embarrassed to let my teeth show, but I'm not sure whether I really "need" braces in absolute terms (my bite isn't horribly misaligned and while my top teeth are somewhat irregularly spaced, I suspect they're really not that bad compared to many people's). Anyway, I'm uncomfortable with the notion that treatment may be unnecessary, frivolous, vain, etc., and I envision an orthodontist laughing me out of his/her office...
After I got my braces, many people were shocked. They told me that I didn't need them, my teeth were fine, I was wasting money...but what they did not know, because they could not see it, was that my bite was all wrong.

Most of us think "oh, they don't look so bad.." but what we don't know, are the complications that can occur in the future if the orthodontic route is not taken, when it is needed. That is why it is very important to go in for a consultation. If you do not go now, are you willing to risk what can happen in the future? And many times, consultations are free!

When my ortho told me with my cross bite, if it isn't taken care of, I might face major dental expenses in the future because my teeth can wear down, that was all I needed to hear. Then the phrase, TMJ came out of his mouth. I have suffered with migraines for many years, all do to the fact that my teeth do not sit properly, but I did not know this. Within a month or two of getting braces, the migraines were gone!

I can not stress this enough---braces are not that big of a deal! Don't be afraid, embarrased, scared...whatever. The initial shock of having braces is hard to deal with but within two weeks of getting them, you will have wished you'd done this sooner. I promise you that! And, no one cares if you have braces! If anything, I think most people I come into contact with are a bit jealous. My friends and co-workers are constantly telling me how great my teeth look and then they mention how they "wished they had gotten braces."

I am 33 years old. I have had my braces for almost a year. I did not need braces as a teen, when I was in my early 20's, I was hit in the face and over time, my front teeth started to shift. I also apparently, have never had any "bite" whatsoever. I have never had a dentist tell me this until about 4 years ago.

The only reason why I waited to get braces was because, like all of you, I was nervous and I felt that if I got braces, it would make me look vain. I didn't care that my front teeth weren't perfectly straight, they were cute. I also did not know that I had a crossbite. I went for my first consultation 4 years ago and they wanted to do surgery to separate my upper arch blah blah blah. Well, the cost was crazy- $13-14,000! I worked part time, I was in college and there was no way I could pay for this.

So about a year and a half ago, my new dentist said, "Did you realize you have no bite? How do you eat?" I didn't know that my teeth were supposed to touch....he recommened I go to an ortho. I scheduled my first appointment, then canceled it. Then rescheduled it.

At my consultation, Howard, my ortho, told me I did not need surgery that he could accomplish great results without it. He also asked how I eat since I have no bite. I said, "Well, obviously, I don't have a problem eating." By the way, I have lost 20lbs since getting braces- another perk!

The office went over the treatment plans, I went with ceramic on top, metal on bottom, (luckily, this time, I had graduated college, working full time...I can afford it!).

I scheduled my brace day appointment for a whole month after making the decision to get braces. I wanted to be sure I wanted this, do some more research etc.

I could not have been happier! This is the best thing I have ever done!
Like I mentioned earlier, the shock of having braces lasted about 2 weeks but after that, it has been smooth sailing.

I have always been a happy, personsable person who likes to laugh and smile. But having braces, has only made me happier and it really shows. No one really know the impact on what braces has on one, unless you have/had braces. It really is life changing.

So Andrew and Julie- just make an appointment for a consultation- You will not regret it.

The only thing I regret, is sending in my monthly payment! :)

poppy123

#17 Post by poppy123 »

after reading this im dying to know if Julieo went ahead and did it. If you out there julieo, give us an update

ckdramas

#18 Post by ckdramas »

I'm 24, got my braces a little over a month ago. I didn't need it for crooked teeth, instead it's the not noticeable underbite and crossbite that were wearing my teeth down. I was told I needed braces 5-6 years ago but I kept putting it off thinking my teeth looks normal enough. It was when all my front teeth became loose one morning that I took action. Braces aren't as bad as I thought (in the way it looks, not the maintenance, haha). I got metal ones, most people don't even notice my braces until I point it out.

lu lu

#19 Post by lu lu »

I just wanted to add my 2 pennies worth :lol:

i'm 23 & was told i needed braces when i was a teenager. whimped out after having my moulds taken. didn't help i didn't like the ortho & too self concious back then.

Anyway i have regretted it ever since - biggest mistake of my life. I have severely crooked teeth on the bottom & slightly crooked teeth on the top. I think my bites ok.

I always look at people's teeth & wished mine were straight & pretty like theirs.

Anyway i decided to take the plunge after dreaming about straight teeth since forever. What made me enquire at first was invisagline (wouldn't touch my teeth but i liked the idea of them) then i thought why pay all that money for something that's not going to result in the results i want?
i then decided it would have to be fixed braces & heard of incognito (braces behind teeth) & liked the idea of this. Went for my consulation & was told i could have this on the top but would be tricky on the bottom because of how bad my teeth are. I knew this would probs be the case & wasn't too fussed about having a visable 1 on the bottom (not like you can see it that much) & opted for a ceramic brace.

Having them fitted next month & can't wait becuase i have being dreaming of straight teeth forver & at the end i will feel i fit in with people & actually feel comfortable to smile on pics rather than stick my tongue out.

I NEVER thought i'd be excited to have braces - i've always dreaded it but knew 1 day i'd have to if i wanted to be happy. once the ball got rolling that was it - not making the same mistake i did all those years ago.

COME ON DO IT!!!! :)

poppy123

#20 Post by poppy123 »

i was the same as lu lu - always looked at other peoples teeth and was so jealous. Im so glad i took the plunge, having my brace is nowhere near as bad as i though it would be and just 6 wks in the change is amazing. I saw a pic of myself taken a week ago and not only could you not see the ceramic braces but my teeth looked fab!! i couldnt believe it! i would tell anyone to do it, its honestly very exciting and worthwhile

LARRYBOY56

#21 Post by LARRYBOY56 »

54 years old and definitely NOT anxious to do this at my age. I have clear brackets on the front six and had the braces on for a month before a few co-workers finally noticed them.

Go for it! You'll be glad you did.
Larry,

Maya

#22 Post by Maya »

I took the plunge at 33 when my good friend mentioned he would like to get them. It just got me thinking about how much I wanted my teeth to look good and it prompted me into action.

So glad I did it, first week was hard but now it is all ok. Rather endure 22 months to have lifelong results than rest of my life with bad teeth.