getting braces removed- how long does it take

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VA5

#16 Post by VA5 »

hal2me wrote:
VA5 wrote: So you're one of the cases where they take the impression after debracing and then there is a lag. Do you mind asking your ortho why he isn't doing the molds/impressions before the debracing? As I said... seems like they all do it differently but I don't know why. I'd think it'd be in the patient's best interest to take the impressions before debracing and put the retainers in as soon as the braces come off.
Sorry, I should have added this information :oops:

My ortho does not have a lab on site, so the molds have to be sent out to have the retainers made. I was concerned about the week lag time, but he explained to me that one week would not make a difference in my teeth.
My ortho doesn't have a lab either.. but I'm still hoping they can do the impressions/molds before debracing... I worry about a week b/c when they take my wires or anything off my teeth, powerchains, etc, even during the short visit at my orthos office, i can feel my teeth moving back.. and since I know teeth naturally protrude, and that is what I was corrected for, I can totally see my teeth moving out during that week. I won't be able to stand it!!! Lol...

UGHBRACES

#17 Post by UGHBRACES »

The removal is not long, under an hour. I had impressions taken immediately after my teeth were cleaned up then I went back a few hours later to pick up my retainers.

fraid090

#18 Post by fraid090 »

If your teeth move after a week then maybe you'd squeeze into a retainer and it'd act as an aligner?????

*just a thought, I barely know the first thing about braces and haven't had mine fitted yet :(