Has anyone lost the ability to whistle?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tori*anne

Re: Has anyone lost the ability to whistle?

#16 Post by tori*anne »

Too funny.... I can't whistle anymore either! Glad to hear I'm not the only one ! 8)
Seps: 11/5/09
Top Braces: 11/12/09
TPA: 12/16/09
Bottom: 7/6/10

sadpanda

#17 Post by sadpanda »

I've never been able to whistle. It might be because of my bad bite. Luckily, I've never needed to whistle really. :|

evilnel

#18 Post by evilnel »

I noticed the first day I had braces that I couldn't whistle, which was a problem because I have dogs and I love to whistle a tune most of the time. I had to sit down and practice pulling my lips over my braces to do it, but I was able to do it just fine after a couple days of practice! Keep trying, you'll get there!

sadface

#19 Post by sadface »

Quite the opposite.

Since some weird gap has formed from a turned tooth with my front teeth I can now whistle unintentionally by just saying a word with an F or a V in it!

..... one day I hope to have something positive to say about my brace treatment.

Mart

#20 Post by Mart »

What a strange coincidence, i was trying to whistle to my parent's lovebirds yesterday and realised i couldn't! I've had to relearn to whistle, it took me ages and made me look like an idiot, it's now much harder to do! how weird!

sarz

#21 Post by sarz »

:) Never could whistle anyway.
Dosent stop me from giving the occasional "corr" when a fit guy walks past though :wink:
No Regrets Just Lessons Learned
"What can we do to prevent this from happening again"?

clangjr

#22 Post by clangjr »

I was actually wondering about my whistline ability as well. I am able to whistle normally, but also breathing in as well as without my lips touching. Wondering how much of my tremendous whistling prowess I will retain.

Chicagogal

#23 Post by Chicagogal »

I've wanted to ask this before. I'm with others in the strange world where my ability to whistle has changed for each adjustment. some adjustments, no way, some others a weak whistle can still emerge. definitely nothing when I had teh expander. ha. weird.

I'm trying now and a whole lotta air is all that's coming out. And I look like a crazy person!
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.

clangjr

#24 Post by clangjr »

YAY!!! I can still whistle!

DrBlur

#25 Post by DrBlur »

I used to be able to whistle very musically and loud, but now it sounds very airy and quiet. It's gotten a bit better as my gap in my front teeth has been closed, but still not nearly like it used to be. Maybe when my expander comes out it will improve?
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

impatientpatient

#26 Post by impatientpatient »

Ha ha this made me laugh!
Yes I can whistle but I have only been braced for a week...will monitor as my treatment progresses :)

BracedGeek

#27 Post by BracedGeek »

I never could whistle and I can't now. It must be the braces. ;)
Metal braces from March 2011 until October 2012. Hawley retainers since October 2012.

anxiousgirl

#28 Post by anxiousgirl »

One of the first thing i noticed when i got my braces on was that i couldnt whistle anymore :(
Was annoying because it gets my dogs attention haha

braces on: 21/02/2011
lower braces off: 20/03/2013
upper braces off: 04/04/2013